Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Smo

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by Smo » 21 Oct 2020, 21:30

Smo wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 12:54
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 16:28
Smo wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 18:55
Hey Chief, still no dice on EDC launching - I've reached out to their support and after a month or so they've come to the conclusion that I need to re-install EDC with admin privileges... I've tried that. No Dice. Have you had any luck on your side?
All copies of EDC are all installing successfully on all of my computers, so I'm currently stumped, since a large number of firmware upgrades have executed just fine according to ViewSonic. Happy users don't generally post in forums, so this forum captures the one-off upgrade complaints. Currently, the ones who report EDC failures seem to be a smattering of one-off cases, which is what is making it hard for ViewSonic to debug this.

I think it may be an interaction between GPU, GPU drivers, OS version.

Fix for Elite Display Controller Unable To See/Upgrade Monitor

1. Make sure the USB cable is connected to the monitor.
2. I assume you have DDC/CI enabled in the Monitor Settings menus.
3. I assume you have executed a "Monitor Recall" in the Settings menus, it helped some of the people, although not all.
4. Have you briefly tested HDMI-to-HDMI instead of DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort, even at a lower refresh rate? Sometimes the DDC/CI works better in some graphics drivers, allowing you to execute a firmware upgrade. Once the firmware is upgraded, you can switch back to DisplayPort.
5. Have you tested different USB ports, including trying different USB ports directly on the back of the computer? Make sure the monitor appears correctly in Device Manager when you plug in the USB cable; it shows up as a USB hub.
6. You can also use a completely different computer too (e.g. NVIDIA vs AMD), just to finish the firmware upgrade.
Thanks Chief, I'll give these a try - going to try and plug this into a second computer when I can as well... I'll report back!
I've tried everything at this point, clean format w/ a new video card thrown in there (3080). I've tried all the USB ports, everything - still waiting on a response from viewsonic tech support, we've gone through all the basics, he's reaching out to higher level for help...

Smo

Post by Smo » 26 Oct 2020, 18:48

One more quick one on EDC not launching, I checked the event viewer under applications and EDC seems to be throwing this error on launch...This is also the new 1.3.0.0 version - Not sure if anyone can interpret any of this though ha ha. I did send it to the viewsonic rep who was working on my ticket! At least it's throwing some kind of loggable error!

Faulting application name: EliteDisplayController.exe, version: 1.2.0.9, time stamp: 0x5f6b00e1
Faulting module name: EliteDisplayController.exe, version: 1.2.0.9, time stamp: 0x5f6b00e1
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00028c03
Faulting process id: 0x46ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6abf21b0d38d3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ViewSonic\Elite Display Controller\1.2.0.9\EliteDisplayController.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ViewSonic\Elite Display Controller\1.2.0.9\EliteDisplayController.exe
Report Id: d9880174-a29e-426a-b586-71f3cdd3da59
Faulting package full name:

Smo

Post by Smo » 27 Oct 2020, 12:02

Well their techs were able to identify the bug based on that crash app log..... The fix is pretty hilarious if you ask me.

Viewsonic Tech - "Can you check under the audio icon and set it to the monitor. When you click the icon in the lower right corner you should be able to click the arrow and have options to select the audio. Can you set it to the monitor then try to open the software. "

IT WORKED! Why on earth would it need to be the default audio device! hahaha... Hotfix Incoming!

dl666

Post by dl666 » 27 Oct 2020, 19:21

So if I have 5 options on Purexp in the program but not the monitor, do I then have the latest firmware?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Oct 2020, 22:10

Smo wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 12:02
Well their techs were able to identify the bug based on that crash app log..... The fix is pretty hilarious if you ask me.

Viewsonic Tech - "Can you check under the audio icon and set it to the monitor. When you click the icon in the lower right corner you should be able to click the arrow and have options to select the audio. Can you set it to the monitor then try to open the software. "

IT WORKED! Why on earth would it need to be the default audio device! hahaha... Hotfix Incoming!
Brilliant tip, thank you! I never thought to try this — but I can confirm this caused some of the glitches.

Yeah, it should support any audio device, but it’s good to know that this is a workaround, bolding the text for other readers:
Select the monitor as the speaker before launching Elite Display Controller

Unless I attach a VR headset, I only have one selectable speaker (the monitor) but I can see how many people have separate surround sound systems, or use motherboard headphone output, and the like — which makes this such a left-field bug that was hard to track down. Probably the Elite Display Controller QC team now has a set of separate speakers to test these situations from now on.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Oct 2020, 22:11

dl666 wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 19:21
So if I have 5 options on Purexp in the program but not the monitor, do I then have the latest firmware?
You still need to firmware upgrade, your firmware is outdated.

I’m not sure if old firmware will work with the adjustment via ViewSonic Elite DIsplay Controller. Hook the USB cable and try adjusting the strobe settings.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kev7

Post by kev7 » 29 Oct 2020, 07:01

Excluding the obvious differences such as resolution and display technology (TN versus IPS), how does this monitor compare to an U28H750 running ZisWorks X28?

brownvim

Post by brownvim » 01 Nov 2020, 16:18

It would of been so good to have strobed 60hz with the new consoles coming out :(

kawerte

Post by kawerte » 05 Nov 2020, 02:06

I've setup the monitor with PureXP and it works wonderfully, but some games when in Full Screen like Overwatch and Aimlab disable PureXP - it becomes blacked out in OSD and is turned off.
I'm running the monitor at 119Hz as suggested by other users, Vsync off, RTSS limit at 119.87 (although RTSS and Vsync don't matter for the issue).
When I switch the game to Borderless Windowed, PureXP becomes enabled again?
Any idea how to keep PureXP on when in full screen mode?
Thanks in advance!

kawerte

Post by kawerte » 05 Nov 2020, 03:24

About the Full Screen mode in Overwatch - I had to choose 120Hz option from the in game settings in Overwatch, that was the issue.