Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
CorvusCorax

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by CorvusCorax » 16 Nov 2020, 09:39

I have similar problem with vertical lines with Dell AW2521HF. In my case setting contrast to 42% and above helps.

Tallerbane

Post by Tallerbane » 17 Nov 2020, 03:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 12:20
JLR wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 10:24
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:44
I also have the PG259QN here.
I'm a motion-quality nut more than a latency nut (though I want both). I am picky about all motion artifacts (blur, tearing, stutter), so 360Hz G-SYNC almost looks like stutterless LightBoost (nearly blurless sample-and-hold).
I want to upgrade from 4k 144hz to 360hz and never used strobing before. I need it for FPS (Valorant) only.
Should I go for Zowie with 240hz AMA & DyAc+ or 360hz PG259QN then?

The ufo-tests for the Zowie look so incredibly clear, the PG259QN test looks blurred. Which one is more clear and smooth in real life? All people say pro players don't even use DyAc, not sure what to trust and who I should listen too... :(
DyAc strobing is still clearer. Refresh rates are not yet high enough to match strobing motion quality without strobing.

But if you hate strobing, and want the least motion blur that is possible today, it is hard to beat 280Hz thru 360Hz. We're hitting true 3ms MPRT territory strobelessly now!
Ah DyAc still wins, I think I'll just wait for the inevitable new e-sport standard, the 360hz Zowie monitor with DyAc.

d3f

Post by d3f » 17 Nov 2020, 03:40

Chillen wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 14:13
Screen is pink and green. I have plugged same cable into another monitor and switched out GPUs and the other monitor is fine. Everything points to the monitor unfortunately. What a shame. I guess I will start the RMA process unless anyone can think of a solution.
I had the same issue with this monitor, I posted a pic on this thread as well on page 9.

Issue would occur every 3-4 days, reseating the power cable would fix the problem. Considering it happened to me 3 times with two different GPUs, I decided to RMA the monitor.

I’ve had my replacement PG259QN for about 3 weeks now and I haven’t experienced the issue with the new monitor I received.

I also got a monitor with better color accuracy on the calibration report, previous was 0.94, new monitor is 1.20.

howiec

Post by howiec » 17 Nov 2020, 07:14

Chillen wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 23:24
So I had the vertical bars going across the screen as well. It's just hard to see in the picture.
My issue was nothing like what's seen in the pictures. It was extremely obvious without any need to zoom in on the pixels. Imagine numerous alternating thick bars of solid and partially corrupted pixels.

Closest thing I can find on the internet is below but imagine the alternating bars were much thinner around 10 times as many bars as depicted below, were solid greenish instead of hashed, and were alternating with semi-corrupted "normal" bars along with noise artifacts all over the place:

Different cables, power cycling, etc. that I already mentioned had no effect. Anyway, it's gone and was likely a corrupted driver/setting issue. I guess it's possible you also had a driver/setting corruption problem that manifested in different visual artifacts. Who knows for sure.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 17 Nov 2020, 10:04

Lets see if Alienware 360Hz users also report these issues in next weeks, if is driver/settings issue both should show them. Both with same panel ?

Inversion artifacts is related with slow response time in LCD, i never read this issue in OLED. With OLED range limited to (1-1-1 to 255-255-255), to avoid ramp-up lag from 0-0-0, all GtG (100%) changes are rock solid ~1ms. This is what 360Hz monitors need, smearing free non strobed, and crosstalk free strobed. Apart of glow/bleeding free, amazing contrast, deep black.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/48-cx-oled
https://www.rtings.com/images/reviews/m ... -large.jpg

Lets hope soon we can see OLED monitor designed for eSports, to compare it with these LCD.

The truth of LCD response time is worst than many people think. Here we can see VG27AQ IPS 240Hz and VG279QM 280Hz with GtG (100%) up to +30ms ! https://www.aperturegrille.com/features ... #Feature-3

LCD are curves, sometimes long curves until reach target color, OLED is vertical line extremely fast without overshot/undershot.

From a technicaly viewpoint, these LCD slow times are very far to fit inside 4.16ms refresh cicles of 240Hz, i think with 360Hz occurs a bit of the same issue, GtG bottleneck. I have the impression than classic LCD is reaching the limit. Is needed BluePhase LCD, OLED, MicroLED.

Imagine one test of vertical lines of 1px, consecutive black and white, panning at 1920px/s like ufo test. Inversion and/or smearing.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion. ... on-all.png

Please, try vertical scrool with this 360Hz monitor and see what happens with boxes 5 6a 6b, is a hard test for any LCD. Click wheel mouse to vary scroll speed.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 18 Nov 2020, 13:40

He tested the PG259QNR, and he measured the response time of multiple overdrive settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wswnyoZZNLM

People here said multiple times not to put on Extreme, but that could not be the case.
His test methodology seems to be more reliable than the users saying that it is bad without any proof.
He didn't mention overshoot, but I don't think it's nearly as noticeable as my old AW2518HF anyway.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 18 Nov 2020, 18:18

andrelip wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 13:40
He tested the PG259QNR, and he measured the response time of multiple overdrive settings.

People here said multiple times not to put on Extreme, but that could not be the case.
His test methodology seems to be more reliable than the users saying that it is bad without any proof.
He didn't mention overshoot, but I don't think it's nearly as noticeable as my old AW2518HF anyway.
Maybe the old dudes eyes aren't sensitive to overshoot/coronas because in every review on Extreme OD it's very bad just like how on my 280hz Asus OD 100 is very bad and I can notice it in game. :D
Last edited by Stevie66 on 18 Nov 2020, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 18 Nov 2020, 21:50

Stevie66 wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 18:18
andrelip wrote:

Maybe the old dudes eyes aren't sensitive to overshoot because in every review on Extreme OD it's very bad just like how on my 280hz Asus OD 100 is very bad and I can notice it in game. :D
My old AW2518HF has zero to no none overshoot on "fastest" using the RX5700 of the Macbook Pro and a lot of overshoot on my previous 1080ti. The same could be happening here, maybe 3080 has better compatibility or you have a bad manufacturing lot.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 18 Nov 2020, 22:29

andrelip wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 21:50
Stevie66 wrote:
andrelip wrote:

Maybe the old dudes eyes aren't sensitive to overshoot because in every review on Extreme OD it's very bad just like how on my 280hz Asus OD 100 is very bad and I can notice it in game. :D
My old AW2518HF has zero to no none overshoot on "fastest" using the RX5700 of the Macbook Pro and a lot of overshoot on my previous 1080ti. The same could be happening here, maybe 3080 has better compatibility or you have a bad manufacturing lot.
These monitors are tested in the reviews, if the UFO shows it has overshoot/corona then it will have overshoot/corona and a % of how much, the difference is if you will notice it or not as some people aren't so sensitive but doesn't change the fact that the Asus 360hz has visible coronas at the 2 faster OD settings and it's shown in multiple reviews, it's not an opinion or your GPU.
Your monitor on all 3 OD settings in the image below, if you don't notice that while around borders while gaming then you aren't sensitive to it, I can easly see it when I set my OD to something similar to that.

andrelip

Post by andrelip » 19 Nov 2020, 10:04

Stevie66 wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 22:29
andrelip wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 21:50
Stevie66 wrote:
andrelip wrote:

These monitors are tested in the reviews, if the UFO shows it has overshoot/corona then it will have overshoot/corona and a % of how much, the difference is if you will notice it or not as some people aren't so sensitive but doesn't change the fact that the Asus 360hz has visible coronas at the 2 faster OD settings and it's shown in multiple reviews, it's not an opinion or your GPU.
Your monitor on all 3 OD settings in the image below, if you don't notice that while around borders while gaming then you aren't sensitive to it, I can easly see it when I set my OD to something similar to that.
I don't know if you have the monitor or just talking about something you only read about.

I had the AW2518HF that have these exact same names for overdrive and it's visible like this picture you posted. There are posts from me with more than 2 years with tricks to fix that by creating custom resolutions, the manufacturing panel to manually adjust OD, enabling free sync and disabling it, and so on. The PG259QN is very different, doesn't have any noticeable inverse ghosting paired with the RTX3080, at least my unit. The guy from the video tested that frame by frame and even measured that.

His concern about the scan-out time being faster than the response time running at 360hz is something to take attention. Can you comment that video, Chief?