AOC 24G2 + GTX 1080ti + G-Sync = Black screens and incompatibility?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
DaveKap

AOC 24G2 + GTX 1080ti + G-Sync = Black screens and incompatibility?

Post by DaveKap » 20 Nov 2020, 22:38

Can anyone with an AOC 24G2 help me out here? I just got mine after reading positive reviews and a decent price on Amazon. It's supposed to be compatible with G-Sync despite being a Freesync monitor. I've set everything up so that G-Sync is definitely enabled, the indicator says so when I'm in a game.

https://i.imgur.com/PEceyAg.png

https://i.imgur.com/fLQgDrP.png

However, in the "set up g-sync" settings, despite being able to enable the setting for the monitor, I see this:

https://i.imgur.com/PCjZxwb.png

So question 1 is... is this monitor compatible or not?!

Question 2 is how do I fix the black screen flickering while playing games? When G-Sync is shown to be on, as in the above screenshot, everything will be fine for like 10 seconds, then the display goes black for 1 or 2 seconds, then I'm fine for another 20 seconds, then black screen again, over and over without stopping this happens. Sometimes it takes a few minutes before it happens, it seems to depend on the game, but it always happens.

So far I have swapped DP cables, swapped DP ports in the GPU (OEM GTX 1080ti,) cleaned and re-installed the NVidia drivers, and have tried various different panel settings such as Overdrive. It keeps happening. Is the panel DOA or is there something I'm missing?

Question 3: So far my tests indicate that some games need to be in exclusive fullscreen in order for G-Sync to turn on but from what I've seen elsewhere, this shouldn't be a requirement. Any idea what's up with this?

It's probably also worth mentioning I have a second display, an older Dell monitor, plugged into the second DP port. Unplugging that doesn't fix anything.

Thanks for the help!

Sparkchomp

Re: AOC 24G2 + GTX 1080ti + G-Sync = Black screens and incompatibility?

Post by Sparkchomp » 22 Nov 2020, 16:46

Hi, I have the same monitor with a 3070. The monitor is not certified by Nvidia as G-Sync compatable. I am also having issues with G-Sync. Nvidia at CES 2019 tested 400 monitors and only 12 were able to pass the G-Sync compatable certification. It is unknown if AOC 24G2 was tested but as of now its not certified.

It may work but it may have issues. Jensen here discusses the issues some freesync monitors may have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyMdhW9qPE4.

But yes you are right it does have a lot of good reviews. Now when I tried it, It worked on a lot of benchmarks but in game I noticed a lot of microstutters in different games. Some games ran fine while others didn't.

I have read that it is also important to have a VESA certified cable so I am going to try testing it with a better cable and see the results. Hopefully its just a cable issue. But I think it may be the monitor.

Maybe if we talk to Nvidia support about our issues they maybe able to fix it with a driver update.

Can you tell me what games you noticed black screens in, If I have it I'll try to see if I have the same issues.

I have issues in Arkham Knight and Black Ops Cold War.

DaveKap

Post by DaveKap » 23 Nov 2020, 21:32

I've had the blackouts happen with Borderlands 3, Satisfactory, Path of Exile, Manifold Garden, and even the 2013 Pendulum demo that NVidia has. I've seen a massive 2-year old thread that's still being updated where people complain about these issues and there has been no resolution. By all the Googling I've done, the problem can range from bad cables, bad ports, bad panels, and bad drivers. Lastly, it would seem that most Freesync monitors claiming to support G-Sync are simply rolling the dice on said support.

I thought we finally reached the point where a flat-panel, IPS, 1920x1080, 24-inch, G-Sync supported, 120+hz monitor was something that could exist but.. alas, it appears the tech is still not there yet.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 23 Nov 2020, 21:41

DaveKap wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 21:32
I thought we finally reached the point where a flat-panel, IPS, 1920x1080, 24-inch, G-Sync supported, 120+hz monitor was something that could exist but.. alas, it appears the tech is still not there yet.
The tech is there, you just have to pick a model in the below list (the AOC 24G2 isn't in it) to guarantee fully functioning G-SYNC or G-SYNC Compatible support:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... ors/specs/
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

DaveKap

Post by DaveKap » 25 Nov 2020, 04:52

jorimt wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 21:41
DaveKap wrote:
23 Nov 2020, 21:32
The tech is there, you just have to pick a model in the below list (the AOC 24G2 isn't in it) to guarantee fully functioning G-SYNC or G-SYNC Compatible support:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... ors/specs/
Thanks for this. I'll consider the AOC monitor a falsely advertised product, then, and send it back.

These have been a long time coming, I'm not going to settle for second rate! It does look like, however, I'll have to eliminate "compatible" as an acceptable trait due to the minimum variable refresh being limited at the 30-60 range instead of all the way down to 1. What's the point of G-Sync if it fails during a low dip, y'know?