GSYNC or Oculus Rift as primary display?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jumbobreakfast

GSYNC or Oculus Rift as primary display?

Post by jumbobreakfast » 12 May 2014, 04:22

I'm thinking about getting a GSYNC monitor but I've read that if you have another display plugged in that the GSYNC monitor needs to be the primary display. However, the Oculus rift also needs to be the primary display on a mirrored setup since you get tearing on the secondary display. How would I work around this? can GSYNC be easily turned off or will it automatically turn off if I make the Oculus rift the primary display?

boniek

Re: GSYNC or Oculus Rift as primary display?

Post by boniek » 12 May 2014, 19:12

VESA just announced Adaptive Sync. If you didn't buy monitor yet then hold on.
i7 3770
16 GB RAM
GTX 670 2GB
ROG SWIFT PG278Q

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: GSYNC or Oculus Rift as primary display?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 May 2014, 02:52

The new VESA standard is exciting. However, at this stage, the VESA standard will take quite a while (>2years) to hit production 120Hz monitors in a widespread manner. So if you were looking to shop for a 120Hz monitor, currently GSYNC has a huge headstart for almost a full generation of an upgrade cycle.

It all depends, of course, on your budget. The crop of "Better than 60Hz" monitors have accelerated display upgrade cycles for high-end display users at the moment.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!