What is the best Nvidia Driver version for G-sync?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
actualthroway

What is the best Nvidia Driver version for G-sync?

Post by actualthroway » 30 Dec 2020, 07:57

My G-sync used to work fine before I was forced to update in order to play doom eternal. Problem is I can't remember which driver number I was using before and even with that driver I was having stuttering issues with G-sync. Seems like G-sync only works once in a blue moon for me. I get the feeling of "micro-micro-stutters" and the gameplay just isn't as smooth as what it could be. I've noticed the difference between my current G-sync and "true" G-sync and it drives me insane that I just cannot get G-sync to work for these past 4 years I've had a desktop PC.

I've tried the optimal settings and tried a clean windows install and everything similar but nothing works. I KNOW for certain that "true" G-sync without high latency or micro-micro stutters is possible but achieving it seems to be completely random.

I use TimerTool to set my timer to 0.5000ms for smoothness and I have HPET disable in windows only (can't access it in my BIOS). Whenever I use DPC latency checker, I have 500us latency sometimes spiking to 1200us and very briefly hitting 3-12us.

I have:

2800 16-18-18-37 Ram 16gb

dell sd2716dg 144hz G-sync monitor

EVGA 1080 GPU

Asus X99-A motherboard

Please help. G-sync is driving me insane.

1000WATT

Re: What is the best Nvidia Driver version for G-sync?

Post by 1000WATT » 30 Dec 2020, 09:14

4 years. You have updated not only the driver for the video card, you have updated the version of wddm with OS installation.
If you don’t remember the version of Windows that you used and had an excellent gsync experience, then 4 years will turn into infinity.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Dec 2020, 09:38

actualthroway wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 07:57
I've tried the optimal settings and tried a clean windows install and everything similar but nothing works. I KNOW for certain that "true" G-sync without high latency or micro-micro stutters is possible but achieving it seems to be completely random.
G-SYNC's primary purpose is to a be a mirror of the system output, and it's only real responsibility/capability is to align each frame to the display to prevent tearing (effectively by steering the tearline into the VBLANK), so if frametime performance is sporadic enough, G-SYNC won't mask it, it will only reflect it as it is.

G-SYNC does not smooth the appearance of system-side stutter, it solely eliminates traditional sync-induced stutter and input lag.

What you're experiencing is likely not directly related to G-SYNC operation, but is instead a sign of another performance issue on your system that is simply evident when G-SYNC is (and probably even when it isn't) enabled.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Asael

Post by Asael » 30 Dec 2020, 10:48

actualthroway wrote:
My G-sync used to work fine before I was forced to update in order to play doom eternal. Problem is I can't remember which driver number I was using before and even with that driver I was having stuttering issues with G-sync. Seems like G-sync only works once in a blue moon for me. I get the feeling of "micro-micro-stutters" and the gameplay just isn't as smooth as what it could be. I've noticed the difference between my current G-sync and "true" G-sync and it drives me insane that I just cannot get G-sync to work for these past 4 years I've had a desktop PC.

I use TimerTool to set my timer to 0.5000ms for smoothness and I have HPET disable in windows only (can't access it in my BIOS). Whenever I use DPC latency checker, I have 500us latency sometimes spiking to 1200us and very briefly hitting 3-12us.

I have:

EVGA 1080 GPU

Asus X99-A motherboard

Hello, can i ask you to check GSYNC indicator in nvidia control panel to make sure GSYNC is working?
Also did you check in nvidia pendulum demo that GSYNC is working?

actualthroway

Post by actualthroway » 30 Dec 2020, 11:02

jorimt wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 09:38
actualthroway wrote:
G-SYNC's primary purpose is to a be a mirror of the system output, and it's only real responsibility/capability is to align each frame to the display to prevent tearing (effectively by steering the tearline into the VBLANK), so if frametime performance is sporadic enough, G-SYNC won't mask it, it will only reflect it as it is.

G-SYNC does not smooth the appearance of system-side stutter, it solely eliminates traditional sync-induced stutter and input lag.

What you're experiencing is likely not directly related to G-SYNC operation, but is instead a sign of another performance issue on your system that is simply evident when G-SYNC is (and probably even when it isn't) enabled.
Do you think it could have something to do with timings/clockplatform in Windows 8.1? The only times I've ever had "true" G-sync is with an older nvidia driver or with some CMD commands like bcdedit useclockplatform no which only last a brief while. I can't really isolate it beyond that.

I have a separate post about what I've done here https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopi ... 984#p61984

actualthroway

Post by actualthroway » 30 Dec 2020, 11:04

Asael wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 10:48
actualthroway wrote:

I have:

EVGA 1080 GPU

Asus X99-A motherboard

Hello, can i ask you to check GSYNC indicator in nvidia control panel to make sure GSYNC is working?
Also did you check in nvidia pendulum demo that GSYNC is working?
Yea G-sync indicator says it's on and I've used the pendulum demo which also says it's on but it still feels micro jittery.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Dec 2020, 15:23

actualthroway wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 11:02
Do you think it could have something to do with timings/clockplatform in Windows 8.1? The only times I've ever had "true" G-sync is with an older nvidia driver or with some CMD commands like bcdedit useclockplatform no which only last a brief while. I can't really isolate it beyond that.
Again, G-SYNC simply hides the tearline. What you're experiencing sounds like it is affecting G-SYNC, not the other way around, and points to potential frametime performance issues, the causes of which are numerous, and are more often than not unique to the setup.

It honestly hard to narrow it down when anyone brings issues of this sort up, at least without us being there and experiencing what you are ourselves.

Tolerance to this sort of thing is also highly subjective, so many users that may have the same type of issue might not be sensitive or observant enough to even notice, which is another problem where corroboration and replication is concerned.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Dec 2020, 20:13

actualthroway wrote:
I have:

EVGA 1080 GPU

Asus X99-A motherboard
Anyway, now that it has been clarified that G-SYNC is not the factor that can directly cause the sort of spontaneous change you're suggesting, regarding your specs, while you're RAM speed is a little low, they otherwise appear to be adequate for 1080p gaming.

What is your current Nvidia driver version and G-SYNC configuration, and what sort of background programs and overlays do you have running when gaming? Also, did you check for what specific processes were causing the DPC spikes?

Finally, as @1000WATT already hinted at, 4 years is a significant amount of time where changes to Windows 10 (assuming you've kept it up-to-date) is concerned. I can think of fullscreen optimizations, Game DVR, Game Mode, HAGS, and WDDM off the top of my head, all of which have potential sway over frametime performance. Nvidia driver themselves have also added Low Latency Mode, Max Frame Rate, new GPU architecture support and host of other changes since as well.