what would have less input lag, g sync or ben q 144 hz?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
etegv

what would have less input lag, g sync or ben q 144 hz?

Post by etegv » 13 May 2014, 13:22

hi, im confused between these 2 monitors

Ive read here that the ben q has low input lag, but ive also read that g sync eliminates input lag.

I ordered the ben q right now but I dont want to have buyers remorse. My main concern right now is input lag.

Also when exactly is blur reduction useful? I tried using lightboost in bf4 and didnt notice a difference. When would I feel lightboost in action?

thank you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: what would have less input lag, g sync or ben q 144 hz?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 May 2014, 05:21

etegv wrote:hi, im confused between these 2 monitors
Ive read here that the ben q has low input lag, but ive also read that g sync eliminates input lag.
I ordered the ben q right now but I dont want to have buyers remorse. My main concern right now is input lag.
Running an equal-for-equal framerate situation, the latency of a GSYNC monitor at, say, a fixed 120fps, would be similar in latency of a BENQ monitor at, say, a fixed 120fps. So you're not losing out on that lag part of the equation. However, you're going to get tearing and more stutters during VSYNC OFF. GSYNC eliminates those motion artifacts, while keeping lag similiar to VSYNC OFF, and makes low/fluctuating framerates dramatically smoother looking.

I assume that you got the BENQ Z-Series, which has a better-than-LightBoost blur reduction technology called BENQ Blur Reduction. Version 2 is highly adjustable via Blur Busters Strobe Utility.
etegv wrote:Also when exactly is blur reduction useful? I tried using lightboost in bf4 and didnt notice a difference. When would I feel lightboost in action?
1. LightBoost benefits framerates matching refreshrates. 120fps@120Hz or 100fps@100Hz. LightBoost doesn't look good at framerates lower than refresh rates.
2. Eye tracking situation (e.g. http://www.testufo.com/photo ...try turning on/off LightBoost during that; it is dramatic. Especially on the Toronto Map Photo). If you mainly stare stationary on the display plane (e.g. stare only at crosshairs), then strobing won't help.

A better situation is to load up an old Source Engine game, such as Team Fortress 2, play as the "Scout" character. THAT is a situation where LightBoost makes a clear difference. Be noted that strobing can add a slight amount of input lag itself, but your human reaction time (unhindered by motion blur) may improve and outweigh the input lag. At least for certain types of games that force eye-tracking situations away from crosshairs (e.g. high speed low helicoptor flybys over camoflaged areas, targetting enemies hidden underneath). You must keep your GPU and framerates high to make LightBoost (or similar strobing technology) increase motion detail. It depends on the games and gameplay tactics you do, though, whether strobing actually gives you a major competitive advantage or not.

That said, all GSYNC monitors also include a LightBoost-like strobe mode called ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur). That said, it is taking time for GSYNC monitors to arrive at the moment.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 14 May 2014, 05:35

etegv wrote:hi, im confused between these 2 monitors

Also when exactly is blur reduction useful? I tried using lightboost in bf4 and didnt notice a difference. When would I feel lightboost in action?

thank you.
Dude. The benq xl2720g (27" 1080p gsync) is supposed to be out in June. So is the asus pg278q (27" 1440p gsync). I seriously recomend canceling that order and waiting till June. Gsync is so worth it. Input lag wise its the same as vsync off = it has none.
etegv wrote:That said, all GSYNC monitors also include a LightBoost-like strobe mode called ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur).
Ye, and if you decide to use lightboost, then a gsync monitor comes with Lightboost 2 or ULMB mode. You cant run gsync together with any form of lightboost, thats why its a seperate mode which disables gsync. And i guess its user friendly as an option in the monitor menu.
You really should wait till June.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 May 2014, 10:40

Edmond wrote: Dude. The benq xl2720g (27" 1080p gsync) is supposed to be out in June. So is the asus pg278q (27" 1440p gsync). I seriously recomend canceling that order and waiting till June.
Additional deciding criteria:
Be noted that the XL2420G will be significantly more expensive than the T series or Z series of the same type. If you can afford it, then this is one route to take. If your budget stops at the cheaper 120Hz models, this could be a deciding factor whether or not to wait since none of them falls to the price of the entry level 120Hz+ monitors. You can always resell, then buy another model later, too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!