Playing on PC like on console. 30 FPS, FreeSync

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
hypno_

Playing on PC like on console. 30 FPS, FreeSync

Post by hypno_ » 01 Jan 2021, 23:56

Hi, my computer is quite old, but I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 comfortably. What will be the best settings? FreeSync ON or OFF? Fast Sync vs V-Sync? RivaTuner cap 29.99 or 30 in-game? I will play on DS4 pad and I want get closest experience to 30 fps console. My monitor can handle 1920x1080 @30 Hz by CRU. Default FreeSync range 48-144 Hz. Monitor - HP 22x

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Playing on PC like on console. 30 FPS, FreeSync

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2021, 00:05

hypno_ wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 23:56
Hi, my computer is quite old, but I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 comfortably. What will be the best settings? FreeSync ON or OFF? Fast Sync vs V-Sync? RivaTuner cap 29.99 or 30 in-game? I will play on DS4 pad and I want get closest experience to 30 fps console. My monitor can handle 1920x1080 @30 Hz by CRU. Default FreeSync range 48-144 Hz. Monitor - HP 22x
Which GPU?
These are important details.

The HP 22x is one of the smallest 144Hz desktop monitors being only 21.5" which makes it kind of an odd monitor, and I unfortunately don't have much experience with the panel's quirks. However:

Sometimes LFC has better quality than native Hz on some monitors. Not always. But, on those, I prefer setting LFC to 55fps or 65fps, and then capping to 30fps. YMMV may vary for in-game cap versus RTSS cap, you will have to experiment. A highly stuttery 30fps will create lots of LFC problems, but a steady 30fps in perpetual-LFC sometimes looks better than true-30Hz. High LFC refresh rates makes sure that inversion artifacts flickers fast enough beyond flicker fusion threshold, and 30fps@60Hz or 30fps@90Hz LFC can generate better LCD GtG/better colors. High LFC thresholds sometimes don't look good on some models, while high LFC thresholds look much better on other models. Since native 30Hz can flicker too erratically on some models.

Also, some monitors have really bad low-Hz ghosting with FreeSync, which can make fixed-Hz 144Hz better + 36fps cap a better try.
LFC Hz and cap Hz too close to each other can cause a LFC churn effect (flicker) as it rapidly enters/exits LFC mode.

Try these:
- FreeSync OFF 120Hz or 144Hz with framerate capped at VSYNC/4 (try both in-game and RTSS to see how it feels better)
- FreeSync default + RTSS cap
- FreeSync LFC 28Hz + 30fps RTSS cap (you do NOT want min Hz to be too close to cap Hz!!!)
- FreeSync LFC 55Hz or 65Hz (somewhere away from multiples of 30 -- VERY important)
- Ingame cap versus RTSS cap

If using an NVIDIA GPU -- use NVIDIA Control Panel When enabling FreeSync (G-SYNC Compatible), remember to use "VSYNC ON" instead of "Use Application Setting" for the game. *AND* use "VSYNC OFF" in the in-game menus. The opposing setting (VSYNC ON in NVCP, VSYNC OFF in-game) usually produces the smoothest VRR experience with many games, and Cyberpunk 2077 is no exception.

Also, due to Cyberpunk's buggy high-Hz mouse fluidity, you may have to reduce poll rate to 500Hz to smooth things out on underperforming systems.

You will have to experiment.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hypno_

Post by hypno_ » 02 Jan 2021, 00:24

Sapphire RX 580 Nitro + 4 GB OC

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2021, 00:48

hypno_ wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 00:24
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro + 4 GB OC
That's a very low amount of memory. To decrease stutters a lot, your texture engine detail will probably have to be lower, to reduce realtime texture-streaming stutter -- if you are stutter-sensitive. Especially if you are on an HDD instead of SSD (are you?)

Either way, try the tips described. I am not sure if the monitor has superior quality in non-LFC operation or LFC operation, just saying -- sometimes LFC is superior to non-LFC at low framerates. Try both ways to see which looks better and gets least flicker!

Also, what's the lowest LFC Hz you can achieve? Make sure you actually test low framerates to verify monitor is not going completely black at the ultra low Hz's.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!