Trying the Vertical Total tweak on the Acer XV272U

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
mango87

Trying the Vertical Total tweak on the Acer XV272U

Post by mango87 » 04 Jan 2021, 11:04

I tried the vertical total tweak to reduce crosstalk on my Acer XV272U monitor. Crosstalk doesn't seem to be affected all. Interestingly, increasing the vertical total increases the brightness of the monitor with BFI enabled, and motion looks blurrier compared to the default settings. Just wanted to post my observation.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Trying the Vertical Total tweak on the Acer XV272U

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2021, 14:23

Many monitors are incompatible with the external vertical total tweak, and generates bugs with some of its internal calculations (Such as strobe length).

Sometimes the monitors do internal scanrate conversion (buffers a slow signal scanout, and does an accelerated scanout. On many panels, cable scanout (pixel delivery sequence) are not synchronized with panel scanout (pixel refresh sequence).

Be very careful about these bugs if you have a voltage-boosted model of a strobe backlight -- if strobing becomes brighter than nonstrobed Brightness 100%, then the LEDs are being too overvoltaged (overdriven too much & burning them).

That said, even if motion blur reduction does not improve, you might want to raise your Acer VRB setting to a more extreme value (which re-shortens the pulse width) to compensate. There is a Quick Frame Transport benefit of large vertical totals that can still exist even if crosstalk does not improve (reduced input lag of strobing).

Thanks for posting your observations!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mango87

Re: Trying the Vertical Total tweak on the Acer XV272U

Post by mango87 » 05 Jan 2021, 06:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 14:23
Be very careful about these bugs if you have a voltage-boosted model of a strobe backlight -- if strobing becomes brighter than nonstrobed Brightness 100%, then the LEDs are being too overvoltaged (overdriven too much & burning them).
Well that sounds terrifying. I hope I didn't do too much damage. Thanks for the notice. I'll certainly won't be touching that again!