I am new and need help please

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TonyNeenz

I am new and need help please

Post by TonyNeenz » 05 Jan 2021, 07:12

Hey everyone, excited to be here and learn new things about gaming builds.

So, I am currently playing on my brothers pre-built PC as I am waiting on mine to arrive (Legion Tower 5i). It is an ABS i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2060.

I bought Lenovo's new Legion Y25-25 240hz IPS 1ms monitor with AMD Freesync. We are currently having issues with gameplay performance more so on Black Ops Cold War, Rocket League, and Apex Legends. So, I've been grinding Apex Legends and Rocket League mostly and it seems like something is way off. And we are pretty sure its the monitor maybe? Even though its a 1ms , it feels sub par to a 1ms TN panel. Like my brothers 75hz ASUS VG245HY feels better than this 240hz IPS monitor and its pissing me off. On Apex , whenever im in battle or just roaming around, when I turn left or right the aim seems to go VERY slow, and bog down. Also, when I hold the right stick on the xbox one series x controller, to the left or right (the aim), it slows down, then speeds up, then slows down, speeds up etc... When you're looking up, down, left , right doesn't matter, its the same issue. Does not matter even on the highest sensitivity, same thing. So because of this issue, im searching online everywhere to try and find a solution. I tried going into the NVCP and turning off all settings like Texture quality, antialiasing, gamma correction etc. I enabled/disabled VSYNC, enabled/disabled GSYNC, low latency mode I tried off/on/ultra. In game (Apex) I disabled vsync, tsaa, texture streaming budget I tried disabling it completely, usually ran it at 4GB, 6GB,tried diabling Ambient Occlusion Quality, tried running it on high also. Regardless, nothing works. There is no crisp , snappy movement, the IPS panel looks gorgeous, colours are great, but it is 1ms, it should be snappy and crisp and it's not.? Is it the monitor? is it my brother PC? is it the optimization settings we did wrong? My xbox one x on my 75hz BenQ 1ms monitor is more smooth and no delay when aiming. This goes the same for COD and Rocket League. On cod i cant get the game to even look good, I tried everything. Looks blurry in some configurations, and theres delay. Such a shame I dont know whats wrong, any advice? Sorry for my sentance structures, they are not the best lol. Any help PLEASE. Pleeeeease, I want to game comfortably without thinking about this over and over again.

Thanks in advance

StareX

Re: I am new and need help please

Post by StareX » 05 Jan 2021, 16:41

Are you getting 200+ FPS? Monitors are built differently so on your other 75Hz monitor the 75Hz range could act better while your 240Hz might not.. Tried to play around with the OD settings as well?

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 05 Jan 2021, 18:22

TonyNeenz wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 07:12
Also, when I hold the right stick on the xbox one series x controller, to the left or right (the aim), it slows down, then speeds up, then slows down, speeds up etc...
fps limit 190
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

TonyNeenz

Post by TonyNeenz » 06 Jan 2021, 00:31

StareX wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 16:41
Are you getting 200+ FPS? Monitors are built differently so on your other 75Hz monitor the 75Hz range could act better while your 240Hz might not.. Tried to play around with the OD settings as well?
it varies alot. like it goes crazy from 100, to 120, to 140, sometimes breaks 200, 230, then back down constantly.

TonyNeenz

Post by TonyNeenz » 06 Jan 2021, 00:34

1000WATT wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 18:22
TonyNeenz wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 07:12
Also, when I hold the right stick on the xbox one series x controller, to the left or right (the aim), it slows down, then speeds up, then slows down, speeds up etc...
fps limit 190
what do you mean ? I should limit to 190? can this pc even run 190 fps? I dont even know if it can handle that lol. I did notice when the fps was lower, the gameplay felt better im sure. Do you know how to cap fps on apex? what fps should i be getting with a 240hz IPS panel?

TonyNeenz

Post by TonyNeenz » 06 Jan 2021, 00:34

StareX wrote:
on the monitor theres 3 OD settings. Off, Normal and Extreme. I tried all and i dont notice anything

TonyNeenz

Post by TonyNeenz » 06 Jan 2021, 02:09

StareX wrote:
I set the monitor to 144hz now. i put default video settings for apex and it seems ok right now , but not how i fully want it.

fins

Post by fins » 06 Jan 2021, 12:06

Hey! I also just recently got this monitor and I am super happy. I upgraded from my 75Hz monitor and the difference is enormous.

One thing I would recommend is enabling a built-in monitor refresh rate tracker ("Hz" > Refresh Rate Nm > Top Left, and I set Transparency to 60).

As StareX mentioned, you need to ensure that your computer is pushing 240Hz. Is your PC reporting 190fps or is that a set limit in-game? I only play Valorant and I had to set everything to "Low", as well as tweak Windows settings for performance to get the game to stay between 235-240Hz.

TonyNeenz

Post by TonyNeenz » 07 Jan 2021, 03:39

fins wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 12:06
Hey! I also just recently got this monitor and I am super happy. I upgraded from my 75Hz monitor and the difference is enormous.

One thing I would recommend is enabling a built-in monitor refresh rate tracker ("Hz" > Refresh Rate Nm > Top Left, and I set Transparency to 60).

As StareX mentioned, you need to ensure that your computer is pushing 240Hz. Is your PC reporting 190fps or is that a set limit in-game? I only play Valorant and I had to set everything to "Low", as well as tweak Windows settings for performance to get the game to stay between 235-240Hz.
all i know is whenever i set everything to low for high performance, with not FPS limit, the fps tracker goes crazy. varies constantly from 100 to over 230. and fluctuates in between. Its my brothers PC, you can see the specs of it when you scroll to the first post on this topic here.