SPDIF VS ANALOG lowest Audio latency?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
daviddave1

SPDIF VS ANALOG lowest Audio latency?

Post by daviddave1 » 31 Jan 2021, 01:07

I think i have the video latency covered now. Now the audio part ( audio is very important in fpsgames)
I noticed in VoiceMeeter when i have the digital output: SPDIF ( REALTEK Digitial Output) and the Analog output ( Speakers Realtek High Defenition Audio) both enabled i hear a a slight echo. Now the big question is: What do i hear first? The digital output or the Analog output? Cause the one i hear first i wanna play with! I hope you guys can help me out!
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: SPDIF VS ANALOG lowest Audio latency?

Post by RealNC » 31 Jan 2021, 02:12

Adjust the volume of the analog output to something very low but still audible. This might help in distinguishing between the two. If you hear the low volume audio first and the echo is higher volume, then that means analog is the fastest path. If the echo is lower volume, then that means digital is faster.

If it's too hard to do by ear, you can just use a microphone and record from it to a wav file. Inspect the waveform in something like Audacity (it's an open source audio editing app) and see if the echo is louder or quieter. Audacity will also help in recording microphone input to a wav file to start with. Inspecting the waveform will also tell you exactly how much delay there is between the two.

After you figured out which is one is faster, double-check by doing the reverse (lower digital audio, probably in your speakers,) then see if the waveform reflects that change.

Btw, how exactly are you playing both digital as well as analog audio at the same time? Do you use two sets of speakers? (One connected to the PC's line out, the other to the S/PDIF port?) Or do you use headphones for one and speakers for the other? If you use headphones, keep in mind that sound travels at 343 meters per second through air. If your speakers are, say, 3 meters away from you, that means audio from the speakers needs 9ms to reach your ears, while there is virtually no delay at all for sound from the headphones to reach your ear.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 31 Jan 2021, 08:53

RealNC wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 02:12
Btw, how exactly are you playing both digital as well as analog audio at the same time? Do you use two sets of speakers? (One connected to the PC's line out, the other to the S/PDIF port?) Or do you use headphones for one and speakers for the other? If you use headphones, keep in mind that sound travels at 343 meters per second through air. If your speakers are, say, 3 meters away from you, that means audio from the speakers needs 9ms to reach your ears, while there is virtually no delay at all for sound from the headphones to reach your ear.
i use headphones for both. Voicemeeter combined with my goxlr app alows me to play both simultaneously. i will take a look at what your saying. Not sure if i can pull that off. If someone already knows the answer let me know. I will give a update if it worked! ty!
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

NDUS

Post by NDUS » 31 Jan 2021, 09:08

Put a microphone next to your mouse and your headphone. Recording from the microphone in something like Adobe Audition, fire a gun in a game using Mouse1. Then you can measure the difference between the click and the gunshot noise in order to find out audio latency in ms.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 31 Jan 2021, 16:05

I couldn't find out what's first. What i did found out though is that the analog line pics up coil whine. Good to know the SPDIF doesn't. so i will be gaming with the SPDIF and will stream the Audio separate true the analog output so my stream has a constant volume. Or someone here has to say that Analog has way lower latency that is..

_Red

Post by _Red » 31 Jan 2021, 21:46

According to Battle(non)sense, Analog is faster than USB. Everybody's setup is different though so it might not make much of a difference or could make a huge difference. Personally I can't tell a difference so I'll stick with the USB DAC.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 01 Feb 2021, 05:45

_Red wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 21:46
According to Battle(non)sense, Analog is faster than USB. Everybody's setup is different though so it might not make much of a difference or could make a huge difference. Personally I can't tell a difference so I'll stick with the USB DAC.
Tnx! im watching the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTuZvRF ... on%29sense right now!

but spdif ( digital ) is not usb its with the optical cable. I have a optical cable in my goxlr as imput and a analog cable. The goxlr is connected though with usb...

elexor

Post by elexor » 01 Feb 2021, 06:55

I was also curious if motherboard optical output was as good as analog output latency wise after watching that video. optical dac's are cheap.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 01 Feb 2021, 12:44

elexor wrote:
01 Feb 2021, 06:55
I was also curious if motherboard optical output was as good as analog output latency wise after watching that video. optical dac's are cheap.
https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineeri ... coming_in/ posted very confident that the optical has the delay. So to answer your question optical comes later thats why i have the echo..