I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
hkngo007

Re: I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Post by hkngo007 » 06 Feb 2021, 22:08

hkngo007 wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 19:09
Hello,

I just received my viper 8khz.

It's configured at 8Khz but on testing sites such as:

https://mouseinsider.com/mouse-polling-rate-checker/
I get max 5.6Khz and average 5Khz (doing circles).

https://zowie.benq.com/zh-tw/support/mo ... ecker.html
I get average 5Khz (doing circles).

Is this expected or normal??? Not sure how to check what it is running at in games? Any suggestions?

Game experience:
Only tried it in Bfront 2 and it is noticeable for me (i have a Model D minus @ 1000hz on 240Hz HP omen X 25f monitor).
It is smoother and slightlyyy more responsive (this could even just be the difference in buttons tbh), but the smoothness is noticeable in feel and visual in game.

1000hz feels more stuttery and inconsistent in comparison to 8Khz (or whatever it is running at- 5Khz?).

Will test more games, but definitely enjoying it so far. There hasnt been any magic so far in aiming (which i wasnt expecting) but it certainly feels nicer/smoother.

EDIT: also CPU usage increase dramatically.
At 1000hz its about 3-4%
at 4000Hz its about 10%
and 8000hz its about 14%
lol didn't expect this. Im running at 8700K at 4.7Ghz with 3733 memory dual rank/dual channel.

07 Feb UPDATE:
- very annoying issue when booting up ~ mouse is not detected, have to replug the mouse for it to work. I replicated this by turning off computer for 5 mins or so and rebooted - every single time.
Tried different USB ports, having mouse at 1000hz, disabled fast boot in BIOS. Apparently this is a common issue with Razer mice in general from the past.

- Games where 8Khz does not work for me (significant frame drops when moving, or sluggish/inaccurate movement):
==> Counterstrike
==> Battlefield V
==> Rising Storm 2
4Khz seems to work okay though for those games.
I decided i cant be bothered testing other games and use 4Khz uniform.

- windows - moving browsers from screen to screen is messed up at anything above 1Khz (it essentialy wont move across unless using significant force/speed). Tried disabling Snap Windows as per Razers troubleshooting thing. Doesnt help. So i use 1000hz profile for desktop.

Contemplating returning mouse due to re-plug issue. Never had a mice that has this problem - joke.
Had more time with 4Khz - still noticeable over 1Khz in terms of smoothness and slight input lag reduction (could be buttons as well), but hasn't affected my gameplay much, if any. But i do not want to go back to 1Khz if i could pick XD.

But yea if the replug mouse at boot is not fixed, will return.
Provided updates.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 06 Feb 2021, 22:35

hkngo007 wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 22:08
hkngo007 wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 19:09
Hello,

I just received my viper 8khz.

It's configured at 8Khz but on testing sites such as:

https://mouseinsider.com/mouse-polling-rate-checker/
I get max 5.6Khz and average 5Khz (doing circles).

https://zowie.benq.com/zh-tw/support/mo ... ecker.html
I get average 5Khz (doing circles).

Is this expected or normal??? Not sure how to check what it is running at in games? Any suggestions?

Game experience:
Only tried it in Bfront 2 and it is noticeable for me (i have a Model D minus @ 1000hz on 240Hz HP omen X 25f monitor).
It is smoother and slightlyyy more responsive (this could even just be the difference in buttons tbh), but the smoothness is noticeable in feel and visual in game.

1000hz feels more stuttery and inconsistent in comparison to 8Khz (or whatever it is running at- 5Khz?).

Will test more games, but definitely enjoying it so far. There hasnt been any magic so far in aiming (which i wasnt expecting) but it certainly feels nicer/smoother.

EDIT: also CPU usage increase dramatically.
At 1000hz its about 3-4%
at 4000Hz its about 10%
and 8000hz its about 14%
lol didn't expect this. Im running at 8700K at 4.7Ghz with 3733 memory dual rank/dual channel.

07 Feb UPDATE:
- very annoying issue when booting up ~ mouse is not detected, have to replug the mouse for it to work. I replicated this by turning off computer for 5 mins or so and rebooted - every single time.
Tried different USB ports, having mouse at 1000hz, disabled fast boot in BIOS. Apparently this is a common issue with Razer mice in general from the past.

- Games where 8Khz does not work for me (significant frame drops when moving, or sluggish/inaccurate movement):
==> Counterstrike
==> Battlefield V
==> Rising Storm 2
4Khz seems to work okay though for those games.
I decided i cant be bothered testing other games and use 4Khz uniform.

- windows - moving browsers from screen to screen is messed up at anything above 1Khz (it essentialy wont move across unless using significant force/speed). Tried disabling Snap Windows as per Razers troubleshooting thing. Doesnt help. So i use 1000hz profile for desktop.

Contemplating returning mouse due to re-plug issue. Never had a mice that has this problem - joke.
Had more time with 4Khz - still noticeable over 1Khz in terms of smoothness and slight input lag reduction (could be buttons as well), but hasn't affected my gameplay much, if any. But i do not want to go back to 1Khz if i could pick XD.

But yea if the replug mouse at boot is not fixed, will return.
Provided updates.
bfv works fine for me.

bfv has 200fps cap tho. not sure what's the point of some people claiming that u have to have a 360hz monitor or 240+ to benefit. it's not exactly like you can blame a 2018 release for not being cutting edge enough especially since that was the premier RTX launch title, along with shadow of tomb raider, both heavily taking from the PUBG heritage.

Razer_TheFiend
Manufacturer

Post by Razer_TheFiend » 06 Feb 2021, 22:36

howiec wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 18:28

If you trust Razer's marketing, they already state a 0.2ms click latency.
https://www.razer.com/razer-optical-mouse-switch

Well, they also state "<0.125ms click latency" here so maybe it's improved in gen2:
https://www.razer.com/gaming/mice/razer-viper-8khz
They're not talking about the same thing, unfortunately.

0.2ms is the "switch actuation time" i.e. the amount of time required for the switch to generate an electrical signal that gets sent to the mcu, compared to 0.6ms that a mechanical switch takes (typically). That is not the click latency, because the signal still has to go through the mcu and to the host after that.

<0.125ms advertised number in case of Viper 8KHz is referring the "click latency" as most people measure it : starting from signal generation to it reaching the host (computer).

howiec

Post by howiec » 06 Feb 2021, 22:38

Meowchan wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 18:37
Every company says it has low click latency. I mean no disrespect to Razer or TheFiend but I rather get it from a 3rd party.
Unless the devs screw up badly, optical switches are going to have pretty low latency by nature of not needing to debounce...

And as I mentioned above, you can't trust accuracy of 3rd party testing (random users on the internet) unless they divulge test methodology details and are technically inclined and/or reputable.

I could post some inaccurate bump testing and say 1ms and the next guy could post 5ms. You'd rather trust some random user's bump test w/ possibly inaccurate frame capture analysis than a R&D engineer from Razer who probably used a scope and some sort of standardized mechanical fixture?

howiec

Post by howiec » 06 Feb 2021, 22:40

Razer_TheFiend wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 22:36
0.2ms is the "switch actuation time" i.e. the amount of time required for the switch to generate an electrical signal that gets sent to the mcu, compared to 0.6ms that a mechanical switch takes (typically). That is not the click latency, because the signal still has to go through the mcu and to the host after that.

<0.125ms advertised number in case of Viper 8KHz is referring the "click latency" as most people measure it : starting from signal generation to it reaching the host (computer).
Thanks, that's exactly the clarification I was hoping for. :)

Razer_TheFiend
Manufacturer

Post by Razer_TheFiend » 06 Feb 2021, 22:55

axaro1 wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 18:15
wait for RTings results
It would be better to wait for Techpowerup or nvidia's measurements, tbh. Both of them are a lot more reliable than RTings.

Even if you don't trust Razer's data, you have to be suspicious about results like : DA V2 Pro Wireless mode being faster than wired. Naga Pro Wireless mode being 4ms faster than Viper in wired mode.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 06 Feb 2021, 23:59

Razer_TheFiend wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 22:55
axaro1 wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 18:15
wait for RTings results
It would be better to wait for Techpowerup or nvidia's measurements, tbh. Both of them are a lot more reliable than RTings.

Even if you don't trust Razer's data, you have to be suspicious about results like : DA V2 Pro Wireless mode being faster than wired. Naga Pro Wireless mode being 4ms faster than Viper in wired mode.
yeah i have no idea why people insist on bringing up rtings like who are they again? saw their vid once about some arbitrary "best mice in year 20xx" and completely amateur

Meowchan

Post by Meowchan » 07 Feb 2021, 00:16

I thought NVidia's measurements only goes up to 1khz at present.

Also, there's more to click latency than polling rate. I have in front of me 2 mice with 1khz polling, and bump testing them against each other gives roughly 5-6ms difference between them. A mouse running at 8khz does not necessarily (and most likely does not) mean that its 'click latency' to the computer is <0.125ms.

Razer_TheFiend
Manufacturer

Post by Razer_TheFiend » 07 Feb 2021, 01:49

Meowchan wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 00:16
I thought NVidia's measurements only goes up to 1khz at present.

Also, there's more to click latency than polling rate. I have in front of me 2 mice with 1khz polling, and bump testing them against each other gives roughly 5-6ms difference between them. A mouse running at 8khz does not necessarily (and most likely does not) mean that its 'click latency' to the computer is <0.125ms.
The "Reflex Latency Analyzer" port on the monitors only goes up to 1ms (1000Hz) polling. Also, the monitor port doesn't "measure" the click latency as such, it just shows the latency that the mouse is reporting.

I was referring to this database, which relies on a dedicated test setup for measurements (not the monitor). Most mice in that database don't support per-click reporting to begin with : https://github.com/NVIDIA/Reflex-Latenc ... e-Database

I could give you the click latency measurement data, but you wouldn't believe it anyways, so it's probably best to wait for third-parties to report them. For what it's worth, the nvidia measurement numbers line up with our own measurements pretty well.
Last edited by Razer_TheFiend on 07 Feb 2021, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

Meowchan

Post by Meowchan » 07 Feb 2021, 02:17

I am interested in any data you may provide. The more data we have the better informed decision we can make as consumers. It would be especially relevant if you could also provide numbers for other mice using the same methodology for point of reference, though I understand if this is something you are hesitant to do.