Yet ANOTHER frametime spike thread. I swear I am a reasonable person.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
BusterScrubbs

Re: Yet ANOTHER frametime spike thread. I swear I am a reasonable person.

Post by BusterScrubbs » 19 Feb 2021, 19:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 19:48
For disposable troubleshoots, upload the video to a unlisted Youtube (easy with any existing gmail account) (or other video host) and paste the disposable link.

I’d love to see the video.
Excellent!
I really appreciate your feedback. :)

https://youtu.be/Z7R5s5X28Cg

Kerosine

Post by Kerosine » 20 Feb 2021, 15:58

My frind had same issiue with ryzen. He reseted BIOS and its gone.
Reset BIOS to stock, dont set up anything. Are spikes gone?

BusterScrubbs

Post by BusterScrubbs » 21 Feb 2021, 01:29

Kerosine wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 15:58
My frind had same issiue with ryzen. He reseted BIOS and its gone.
Reset BIOS to stock, dont set up anything. Are spikes gone?
Yea, I did that. I also bought a new mobo after. Both resulted in the same spikes. :(

Thank you for the ideas, though!

CoUsT

Post by CoUsT » 21 Feb 2021, 14:33

Hey,

I just wanted to let you know I have similar specs (2700x, Gigabyte Gaming K7 X370, two Samsung monitors) and on my end I was fine with Radeon GPUs but switching to either GTX 1060 or RTX 3070 caused a lot of stutters and inconsistent frametimes. It seems you have tried nearly everything and still didn't find a solution (just like me). Do you have any Radeon GPUs that you can use to test if they also have the stuttering/frametime spikes?

BusterScrubbs

Post by BusterScrubbs » 22 Feb 2021, 00:44

CoUsT wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 14:33
Hey,

I just wanted to let you know I have similar specs (2700x, Gigabyte Gaming K7 X370, two Samsung monitors) and on my end I was fine with Radeon GPUs but switching to either GTX 1060 or RTX 3070 caused a lot of stutters and inconsistent frametimes. It seems you have tried nearly everything and still didn't find a solution (just like me). Do you have any Radeon GPUs that you can use to test if they also have the stuttering/frametime spikes?
Ya know, I've read an actual epic from another dude on the internet who spent forever trying to fix stutters, and his solution (after trying ~3-4 [Nvidia] GPUs) was Radeon. I don't have any Radeons, but I think I ought to look online for an old, cheap one to test it.

The thing is, though, that these spikes didn't happen at all until ~2 weeks ago (I hadn't changed anything). So...that's about 1-1.5 yrs with the same hardware (well, I upgrade GPU twice) and no stutters until just recently. The Nvidia cards were no problem 2 weeks ago. It's absolutely worth a try, though. I'll keep an eye out for a good test subject!

BusterScrubbs

Post by BusterScrubbs » 23 Feb 2021, 15:23

**UPDATE**

My LG G-sync monitor came yesterday.
It did not improve my pervasive stuttering problem. I set it up and played a few games over the course of a few hours; it was running great! It's seriously a whole new world. I am in awe. The higher refresh rate alone is just incredible. I decided to run the Heaven benchmark because that's just something I do somewhat regularly these days every time I change anything in my setup, basically. The benchmark caused my monitor flicker like crazy. Now, ever since the benchmark last night, my monitor will flicker (brightness flickering) during games. I even saw it flickering in a Windows settings menu when I hovered over some dynamic/animated button. I've read that the flickering tends to happen as a result of refresh rate changes and/or FPS drops outside of the LFC range. Why was this not happening before and it is now? What changed? Additionally, unless I am having one of my pervasive Big Stutters, my FPS doesn't drop yet my monitor still flickers. Additionally additionally, even when I had the Big Stutters, my monitor wouldn't flicker before. What???

Whyyyyyyy?
-My PC had NO stuttering problems in January.
-This monitor had no flickering problems 15 hours ago.
-My iPad stutters.
-My Quest 2 stutters.
-My husband's PC stutters.

It feels like all of my devices have started acting wonky in the last month all at once. It's possible I am imagining things.

Is it power? How can I tell? I am going insane over this and I am really starting to question EMI again.
But..power seems so unlikely since the stutter doesn't seem random; it appears to result from asset load. BUT..running an entire game off of RAM didn't solve the problem, so is it really asset load?