I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lyrill

Re: I have the new Razer 8000 Hz prototype gaming mouse on my desk.

Post by lyrill » 19 Feb 2021, 08:06

glad to be of help. i meant good habit as in this becomes custom so u never forget to power down and dc from wall circuit when u travel/take a break from using pc, I pretty much had to do this because on my last pc I was using a 1500W voltage converter that had burn smell and made too abrupt noise next power-on if operated/left idle too long.. but yes in your case if u turn on/off pc multiple times a day it best to use such features to soft cycle the io off, as wearing down the usb or the power jack/switches more than once a day is not worth it.

btw Razer_theFIend i'm now going back to re-read the thread and it was obviously explained very early on that fps is static 20kfps (which I did not remember later on when relevant discussions arise so I asked about it in the other thread recently, it's been months so.. lol). But it also said that the hz is indeed not static. Which I thought you meant it is, but it's not. You said the interval is static, but the hz number isn't because it shouldn't drain the cpu constantly, so this interval thing is on the mcu, but the hz is on cpu? I am confused as it was never fully explained on this tidbit. You were saying that it is not needed to have static HZ, which the tools all shown as not static maxed 8khz. Yet the interval of ...well I guess I am just not sure what "polling interval" and "reports per second/polling rate" could differ mechanically if at all by definition, I thought all of this is a unified mcu>cpu linkage. I might have to correct what I relayed about this in my intervid bilibili.com/video/BV1qp4y1p72g if I misunderstood this.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 19 Feb 2021, 08:55

Razer_TheFiend wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 22:42
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 08:22

1600dpi at 0.5 feels better than 800dpi at 1.0.

This is because games is able to render in a subpixel way.
Based on my experience, majority of games don't actually do that. But yes, some of the modern games do (e.g. Valorant, Apex Legends).
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Test Cases
1. Slower drifting movements (like sniper): 1.0sens @ 400dpi versus 0.25sens @ 1600dpi creates visible differences on all my monitors at all refresh rates.
2. Medium TestUFO-speed movements (Eye trackable turns): Need approx MPRT 1ms or less to notice

To be able to tell, remember to use bigger dramatic differences to punch geometrically up the diminishing curve of returns (much like 1000Hz vs 8000Hz).
Instead of [email protected] vs [email protected], please compare:
- [email protected] vs [email protected]
Maybe 400 x 1.0 vs 20000 x 0.02 for the most dramatic effect? ;)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
You know when you're using a sniper in your favourite FPS shooter game, from say, 1000 meters away from a tiny target near the horizon, and the target is moving slowly horizontally? And you have to slow-track your sniper lens sideways at a few pixels per second? Slow aim-tracking manoevers. Here, even 1-pixel steppy-steppy-steppy is noticeable, so sub-1.0 sensitivity settings here REALLY helps make it pixelless, with subpixel mouse motion antialiasing! It's terrible if you dare to use sensitivity 2.0 or higher, but numbers below 1.0 can begin to become a noticeable improvement during these situations.
I'm not so sure about this because the viewport is different in zoomed and unzoomed views. Is the zoom_sensitivity_ratio = 1.0 in your test?

I settled for then 0.33 after launching csgo for the first time in like nearly a year, and first time on new pc obviously. I guess my edpi is 6600 for now for csgo.

mossfalt

Post by mossfalt » 19 Feb 2021, 10:52

@Razer_theFIend

Razer Deathadder 8K when?? :P :P

thizito

Post by thizito » 19 Feb 2021, 17:58

the mice is very good and worked well in all games i played, i leaved a feedback in latency and gaming discord for thefiend, tl;dr 8000hz 1600-3200 is a noticiable upgrade from all i had available (xm1/mini/others).

Kamen Rider Blade

Post by Kamen Rider Blade » 20 Feb 2021, 01:54

So what is the Razer Viper's internal polling rate for all the buttons?

How many Hz?

How fast is the micro controller at processing the 0.2 ms activation signal from each optical switch?

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 20 Feb 2021, 08:01

Razer_TheFiend wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 22:36
howiec wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 18:28

If you trust Razer's marketing, they already state a 0.2ms click latency.
https://www.razer.com/razer-optical-mouse-switch

Well, they also state "<0.125ms click latency" here so maybe it's improved in gen2:
https://www.razer.com/gaming/mice/razer-viper-8khz
They're not talking about the same thing, unfortunately.

0.2ms is the "switch actuation time" i.e. the amount of time required for the switch to generate an electrical signal that gets sent to the mcu, compared to 0.6ms that a mechanical switch takes (typically). That is not the click latency, because the signal still has to go through the mcu and to the host after that.

<0.125ms advertised number in case of Viper 8KHz is referring the "click latency" as most people measure it : starting from signal generation to it reaching the host (computer).

re-reading this particular post (as well) since others asking relevant keyword question... signal generation> mcu=0.2ms, signal generation > cpu= <0.125.... wat?

(as u know I had and have always taken your words for it since nobody else is in charge and speaking)

masneb

Post by masneb » 21 Feb 2021, 03:56

@Razer_TheFiend

Something I've been noticing when using this mouse is windows definitely either likes or hates it in addition to some games having issues as well. With Heroes of the Storm, I had no problems with 8k polling rate, with Dead by Daylight it was leading to occasional stuttering.

However, something else I've noticed is depending on which USB root hub on my motherboard I have it plugged into, it actually causes .1% and 1% frametime regressions in HotS, it also has a weird floaty feeling to it like it has input delay. On my specific board this happens when I plug it into my USB 3.2 gen2 plugs. Those are off of the x570 chipset. When I plug them into the USB 3.2 gen1 plugs (which are straight off the CPU) it seems to be fine. However, this isn't ideal as I'd have both my mouse and keyboard on the same hub. I haven't been able to test this and see if it's the polling rate that's doing it or just the mouse in general. This is different then normal stuttering and seems to have something to do with the hub itself, I'm not sure if it's a strange compatibility issue with my motherboard as well.

My board also has USB2 plugs on it, however they're off the motherboard headers and I haven't tried them yet. I also haven't tried the USB-C built into my 2080.

I have the newest chipset drivers.

Board: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
CPU: 5900x

I'm sure there will be plenty of teething issues with driver bugs as this value hasn't changed for peripherals for like a decade and a half. Polling rate is incredibly difficult to test as well as it seems like all the polling rate apps are a hodge-podge of stuff thrown together which gives you erroneous results half the time.

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 21 Feb 2021, 08:53

masneb wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 03:56
@Razer_TheFiend

Something I've been noticing when using this mouse is windows definitely either likes or hates it in addition to some games having issues as well. With Heroes of the Storm, I had no problems with 8k polling rate, with Dead by Daylight it was leading to occasional stuttering.

However, something else I've noticed is depending on which USB root hub on my motherboard I have it plugged into, it actually causes .1% and 1% frametime regressions in HotS, it also has a weird floaty feeling to it like it has input delay. On my specific board this happens when I plug it into my USB 3.2 gen2 plugs. Those are off of the x570 chipset. When I plug them into the USB 3.2 gen1 plugs (which are straight off the CPU) it seems to be fine. However, this isn't ideal as I'd have both my mouse and keyboard on the same hub. I haven't been able to test this and see if it's the polling rate that's doing it or just the mouse in general. This is different then normal stuttering and seems to have something to do with the hub itself, I'm not sure if it's a strange compatibility issue with my motherboard as well.

My board also has USB2 plugs on it, however they're off the motherboard headers and I haven't tried them yet. I also haven't tried the USB-C built into my 2080.

I have the newest chipset drivers.

Board: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
CPU: 5900x

I'm sure there will be plenty of teething issues with driver bugs as this value hasn't changed for peripherals for like a decade and a half. Polling rate is incredibly difficult to test as well as it seems like all the polling rate apps are a hodge-podge of stuff thrown together which gives you erroneous results half the time.
aren't u supposed to just use whatever segment that works for the mouse and just put the less demanding keyboard jack elsewhere?

also how do you test framerate regression and whatever it is you deem faulty about a segment of usb hubs? how do you know which segments are the best? where do you find such info?

masneb

Post by masneb » 21 Feb 2021, 20:45

Motherboard website, manual, Hardware info, and MSI AB with RTSS. It's a crapshot, there so far is no 'right' definition of where to plug in peripherals. That's why you do testing and I'm sure what works for my board doesn't work for someone elses or depends on what other peripherals you have plugged in.

1 of the USB hubs is directly off of the CPU, while others are off the chipset. Ryzens in general are designed that way, might just be the 5XXX series too.