[Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
delve

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by delve » 21 Feb 2021, 07:50

nick4567 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 16:40
https://gfycat.com/fairfakeduckbillplatypus from the alienware 360 hz monitor thats able to pick up latency see the spike to 200 and sometimes its so high it cant even compute the latency
is it always this bad, have you tested it with other games? In the video i don't see muzzle flash on the bright background, maybe the monitor has trouble detecting it correctly?

Yagami

Re: [Power/EMI] I discover why sometime PC become fast and low input lag and otherwise feel high input lag

Post by Yagami » 21 Feb 2021, 14:16

blackmagic wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 09:27
he is right...
people with "this" don't go anywhere because it's a hard handicap and even tryharding or having best accurate aim don't helps in this moments...

and many people (who experience this all at worse levels) probably go crazy when they first time notice that something works not more like yesterday or 1 hour ago...
this can cause much damage to health and psyche...

literally destroy you from the inside without use drugs.

and then this happens = brain.exe has stopped working.
Edit: Posted in the wrong thread!
Last edited by Yagami on 21 Feb 2021, 21:28, edited 3 times in total.

spoidah

Post by spoidah » 21 Feb 2021, 16:04

delve wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 07:50
nick4567 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 16:40
from the alienware 360 hz monitor thats able to pick up latency see the spike to 200 and sometimes its so high it cant even compute the latency
is it always this bad, have you tested it with other games? In the video i don't see muzzle flash on the bright background, maybe the monitor has trouble detecting it correctly?
Yo, das me.
It's partly the case, but sometimes it get really bad and it's just non-stop extremely high input lag. I made a new video where the background is dark so the muzzle flash is easier to detect for the monitor

pwn

Post by pwn » 22 Feb 2021, 15:13

I wonder why no one thinks about EMI interference on the eth cable? :?

dervu

Post by dervu » 22 Feb 2021, 16:01

Some of us have tried it giving only temporary higher improvement and maybe some permanent small improvement by using fiber straight to PC.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

mello

Post by mello » 22 Feb 2021, 17:13

nuggify wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 16:24
mello wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 06:41
Just a question for everyone, regardless if you think this is about power/emi or about internet. What would be the reason behind things clearly improving (gaming wise) in winter, when there is lots of snow and low temperatures ? And the exact opposite happening in the hot summer ? One interesting thing is that summer should bring more people outside, thus lessening the usage of both internet & electrical devices and the exact opposite happens in winter when more people stay inside their homes and the usage of both internet & electrical devices increases. I have some thoughts and ideas about this but still wondering what other people think about that and if any of you have noticed this pattern (winter/summer) occurring ?
Never noticed that pattern, I have good and bad days in the winter and the summer. The winter might be slightly better overall but nothing substantial. If there was a pattern there I would theorize that the cold temps are preventing or minimizing something that is overheating. Multiple power quality problems can cause overheating in cables, transformers etc. But I honestly am not sure that is the case as if that was I would think when it is extremely cold here I would see that correlate with the symptoms.
Well, i noticed that long time ago, when i still had ADSL connection. Things were sometimes slightly better in winter, but not every winter. I'm asking because recently i noticed a major improvement and it was constant with no major fluctuations, regardless of when i played. Gaming actually become enjoyable again and it lasted for several days or about ~2 weeks. The only thing that changed was sudden appearance of winter, snow and low temperatures between -10°C / -20°C which hasn't really happened where i live for like... 10 years ? I have been using 1Gb/s fibre for a few years, but it NEVER performed that good, but again, since i have it, the winter and temperatures were never so low before. At first it felt i was playing on a completely different connection, it literally baffled me. Now it is getting warmer again 0°C / +10°C, snow is completely gone, and things are basically back to normal, which means gaming is once again complete shit & unplayable. I would rate my connection performance (in games) at 3 out of 10, while everything below 5 would be unplayable at any appreciable level and mostly frustrating. The change i experienced was a significant one (100% improvement at least) and i would rate it 6 out of 10. Enemy player positioning was fixed by 90% with so much better hit reg. Noticed it both in Apex Legends and in CS 1.6. Effortless fragging in CS 1.6 and finally hitting shots in Apex Legends exactly how it was supposed to happen. I also now fully understand how this problem affects FPS games online and how some players have a huge advantage in many areas while others are literally being crippled. I will write about that in a different post though.

But here is a catch and an interesting thing, as part of my theory was that ISP's network were getting overcrowded over the years and network congestion occurs. If that would be the culprit then things should be getting better in summer and worse in winter, not the other way around. Remember, if you want to find the truth, you always need to try to disprove your own theory :twisted: As i said, summer should bring more people outside, thus lessening the usage of both internet & electrical devices and the exact opposite happens in winter when more people stay inside their homes and the usage of both internet & electrical devices increases. And yet, i experienced the exact opposite. And for sure, more people were staying inside if it was that cold outside. So now i'm forced to adjust my theory and consider additional factors and focus on something that may cause an excessive errors occuring (heat, radiation) within ISP's networks. We also need take into consideration that homes are fully heated in winter, same with server rooms and places where network equipment is stored. So, the problem can't be coming from our own homes and it doesn't really fit into overheating network devives that ISP's are usings, correct ? And if that is the case, the only thing that experiences major changes is the outside environment, which means... mostly cables. Low temperatures lowers the heat and radiation, and both heat and radiation can cause excessive errors occurring, which would mean dropped / damaged packets etc. And this would actually fit into my theory about error correction algorithms / packets being dropped extensively and ISP's infrastructue not being robust enough to handle increased traffic which occured over the years. This would suggest that whatever controls the traffic & packet flow (QoS, line management software) would be more prone to errors (thus appling delays & out of order packets occurring, all to keep the network stable) during normal and warmer days and very cold temperatures would alleviate the situation.

What do you guys think ? Also, someone in this or other thread noticed that gaming feels fine / better for a short period of time after starting the game, and later it worsens. There is an explanation why that would be the case. When you start the game and join the server, the ports are being opened and connection is being established. Packets start flowing and if line conditions change or errors are detected then line management software can try to correct that by applying delays (error correction), and these checks & adjustmenets would happen periodically. So that could explain why gaming something feels slightly better for first 20-30 minutes and after that it degredes even more significantly.

@Chief Blur Buster, what do you think about the possible connection between things improving in very low temperatures outside (lots of frozen snow too) ?

Unixko

Post by Unixko » 22 Feb 2021, 17:39

mello wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 17:13
nuggify wrote:
mello wrote:
Just a question for everyone, regardless if you think this is about power/emi or about internet. What would be the reason behind things clearly improving (gaming wise) in winter, when there is lots of snow and low temperatures ? And the exact opposite happening in the hot summer ? One interesting thing is that summer should bring more people outside, thus lessening the usage of both internet & electrical devices and the exact opposite happens in winter when more people stay inside their homes and the usage of both internet & electrical devices increases. I have some thoughts and ideas about this but still wondering what other people think about that and if any of you have noticed this pattern (winter/summer) occurring ?
Never noticed that pattern, I have good and bad days in the winter and the summer. The winter might be slightly better overall but nothing substantial. If there was a pattern there I would theorize that the cold temps are preventing or minimizing something that is overheating. Multiple power quality problems can cause overheating in cables, transformers etc. But I honestly am not sure that is the case as if that was I would think when it is extremely cold here I would see that correlate with the symptoms.
Well, i noticed that long time ago, when i still had ADSL connection. Things were sometimes slightly better in winter, but not every winter. I'm asking because recently i noticed a major improvement and it was constant with no major fluctuations, regardless of when i played. Gaming actually become enjoyable again and it lasted for several days or about ~2 weeks. The only thing that changed was sudden appearance of winter, snow and low temperatures between -10°C / -20°C which hasn't really happened where i live for like... 10 years ? I have been using 1Gb/s fibre for a few years, but it NEVER performed that good, but again, since i have it, the winter and temperatures were never so low before. At first it felt i was playing on a completely different connection, it literally baffled me. Now it is getting warmer again 0°C / +10°C, snow is completely gone, and things are basically back to normal, which means gaming is once again complete shit & unplayable. I would rate my connection performance (in games) at 3 out of 10, while everything below 5 would be unplayable at any appreciable level and mostly frustrating. The change i experienced was a significant one (100% improvement at least) and i would rate it 6 out of 10. Enemy player positioning was fixed by 90% with so much better hit reg. Noticed it both in Apex Legends and in CS 1.6. Effortless fragging in CS 1.6 and finally hitting shots in Apex Legends exactly how it was supposed to happen. I also now fully understand how this problem affects FPS games online and how some players have a huge advantage in many areas while others are literally being crippled. I will write about that in a different post though.

But here is a catch and an interesting thing, as part of my theory was that ISP's network were getting overcrowded over the years and network congestion occurs. If that would be the culprit then things should be getting better in summer and worse in winter, not the other way around. Remember, if you want to find the truth, you always need to try to disprove your own theory :twisted: As i said, summer should bring more people outside, thus lessening the usage of both internet & electrical devices and the exact opposite happens in winter when more people stay inside their homes and the usage of both internet & electrical devices increases. And yet, i experienced the exact opposite. And for sure, more people were staying inside if it was that cold outside. So now i'm forced to adjust my theory and consider additional factors and focus on something that may cause an excessive errors occuring (heat, radiation) within ISP's networks. We also need take into consideration that homes are fully heated in winter, same with server rooms and places where network equipment is stored. So, the problem can't be coming from our own homes and it doesn't really fit into overheating network devives that ISP's are usings, correct ? And if that is the case, the only thing that experiences major changes is the outside environment, which means... mostly cables. Low temperatures lowers the heat and radiation, and both heat and radiation can cause excessive errors occurring, which would mean dropped / damaged packets etc. And this would actually fit into my theory about error correction algorithms / packets being dropped extensively and ISP's infrastructue not being robust enough to handle increased traffic which occured over the years. This would suggest that whatever controls the traffic & packet flow (QoS, line management software) would be more prone to errors (thus appling delays & out of order packets occurring, all to keep the network stable) during normal and warmer days and very cold temperatures would alleviate the situation.

What do you guys think ? Also, someone in this or other thread noticed that gaming feels fine / better for a short period of time after starting the game, and later it worsens. There is an explanation why that would be the case. When you start the game and join the server, the ports are being opened and connection is being established. Packets start flowing and if line conditions change or errors are detected then line management software can try to correct that by applying delays (error correction), and these checks & adjustmenets would happen periodically. So that could explain why gaming something feels slightly better for first 20-30 minutes and after that it degredes even more significantly.

@Chief Blur Buster, what do you think about the possible connection between things improving in very low temperatures outside (lots of frozen snow too) ?
i still dont know how its your theory apply to offline problem with mouse and keyboard and stutter

zevanz0r

Post by zevanz0r » 23 Feb 2021, 00:37

Unixko wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 17:39
i still dont know how its your theory apply to offline problem with mouse and keyboard and stutter
can you add me in steam? steamcom/id/zevanz1

soprenko

Post by soprenko » 23 Feb 2021, 03:12

Unixko wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 17:39
mello wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 17:13
nuggify wrote:
mello wrote:

very likely