internet latency & effects on hit registration

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
axaro1

Re: internet latency & effects on hit registration

Post by axaro1 » 13 Mar 2021, 10:56

The main issue with Apex is low tick rate paired with high RPM weapons such as the R99, this results in the so called "magic bullets" aka a single packet contains a lot of bullet/shot registered that when received by the victim end up being perceived as a single shot with insanely high damage, this is an issue first described by Battle(non)sense in one of his old Battlefield videos.

Oh and don't forget that this game has one of the worst netcode ever seen in a battle royale: https://youtu.be/ftC1Rpi8mtg?t=533
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

mello

Post by mello » 13 Mar 2021, 12:30

axaro1 wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 10:56
The main issue with Apex is low tick rate paired with high RPM weapons such as the R99, this results in the so called "magic bullets" aka a single packet contains a lot of bullet/shot registered that when received by the victim end up being perceived as a single shot with insanely high damage, this is an issue first described by Battle(non)sense in one of his old Battlefield videos.
This is completely irrelevant to the issues people are generally having. The problem that people experience stems most likely from excessive UDP packets being dropped & late / out of order UDP packet delivery:

"Packet Reordering - Technical Post" thread @ reddit
"Out of Order Packets" thread @ reddit

So it is not about the game & its netcode, but rather about the ISP's that people are using and UDP protocol performance.
This impacts all FPS games that rely on UDP packets.

djoni

Post by djoni » 14 Mar 2021, 12:43

mello wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 12:30
This is completely irrelevant to the issues people are generally having. The problem that people experience stems most likely from excessive UDP packets being dropped & late / out of order UDP packet delivery:

So it is not about the game & its netcode, but rather about the ISP's that people are using and UDP protocol performance.
This impacts all FPS games that rely on UDP packets.
Or the error correction on their line which makes their gaming experience shitty like with delayed inputs and everything delayed on their screen. Unfortunately even if you find out that you have one on your line, I doubt the ISP would make any changes because they are aware that their own connection is crap. Don't ask me how do I know, let's just say I'm a victim.

hsEnter

Post by hsEnter » 15 Mar 2021, 12:39

the fix is to switch to ftth boys, its litterally night and day compared to vdsl/adsl/4g, i tried them all. I can now play with 100ping and don't notice it, playing on sub 30 ping feel like im playing on Lan, very smooth, no delay, its just so nice :ugeek:

when i was on vdsl i felt like i had a 0.5 delay in all games, in rocket league i had hard time to hit the ball consistently, or on my screen i was hitting it but that wasn't the case when watching the demo, in shooters i was shooting 5/10 bullets in the face of someone but had no hitreg and when watching the killcam i wasn't even shooting, erratic movement on players.

Now all these problems are gone, at first it was hard to get used to it because the games are literally in real-time but i'm getting there. 8-) Now i'm getting accused of cheating in shooters it feels good man :lol:

oldschool007

Post by oldschool007 » 19 Mar 2021, 14:20

@hsEnter
congratulations that you have solved the problem. I am also annoyed with VDSL and the delay. Currently I am still waiting for the installation of my leased line, FTTH is not yet possible here.

Which country are you from? Do you have the same provider and only changed from VDSL to FTTH? Has your provider upgraded the line to fiber in your area?

If you have the same provider, the difference can only be that FTTH has a different or perhaps no error correction? Maybe no DLM?
Another reason would be that fiber is insensitive to electromagnetic interference.
So a possible reason would be the inhouse cabling or maybe a combination of interference from the inhouse cabling and error correction method + DLM/Assia.

delve

Post by delve » 19 Mar 2021, 14:42

Unreazz wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 12:18
Just a short update for everyone. @oldschool007 ordered a "leased line" and got it finally. sadly it doesnt take any single effect on the garbage gameplay. so for everyone who might think this will be the "solution" its not. dont order a "leased line" its just a waste of money. its btw the same guy from the O2 Thread
wait, did this guy troll us?

oldschool007

Post by oldschool007 » 19 Mar 2021, 19:17

he is not a troll. we know each other through forum and there were many problems with my leased line :) he had not caught the current update.
currently I got the leased line but on every server packet loss even if I just ping google. Let's see what is still coming here.
6 months waiting but is already dumb. ISP are very incompetent

delve

Post by delve » 20 Mar 2021, 09:53

it is the same for me, currently am on ADSL16k, but will be getting vodafone FTTH this year, because the district finally funded the upgrade of the net infrastructure in cooperation with vodafone. I am not having high hopes in terms of improvements though. There are several posters claiming to have this desync with a FTTH connection.

hsEnter

Post by hsEnter » 20 Mar 2021, 10:16

oldschool007 wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 14:20
@hsEnter
congratulations that you have solved the problem. I am also annoyed with VDSL and the delay. Currently I am still waiting for the installation of my leased line, FTTH is not yet possible here.

Which country are you from? Do you have the same provider and only changed from VDSL to FTTH? Has your provider upgraded the line to fiber in your area?

If you have the same provider, the difference can only be that FTTH has a different or perhaps no error correction? Maybe no DLM?
Another reason would be that fiber is insensitive to electromagnetic interference.
So a possible reason would be the inhouse cabling or maybe a combination of interference from the inhouse cabling and error correction method + DLM/Assia.
I am from france, yes it is from the same provider (Orange) it is the best in my country, they upgraded all cables inside the house and in the street ( fiber from start to finish ) i live in an old house so the adsl cables must have been old but i don't think that's the problem, i had three different apartments during the last 10 years and the lag was the same.
About error corrections, when i was using adsl i had a tab in my modem settings that was showing the amount of errors, with ffth this tab is gone, i'm not getting any packet loss no matter how hard i try, i tried to ping 300 times per second a US server, result : zero packet loss, i tried playing games while downloading, my ping is a little bit higher but no packet loss, its rock solid :geek:

djoni

Post by djoni » 20 Mar 2021, 13:32

blackmagic wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 09:02
oldschool007 wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 19:17
he is not a troll. we know each other through forum and there were many problems with my leased line :) he had not caught the current update.
currently I got the leased line but on every server packet loss even if I just ping google. Let's see what is still coming here.
6 months waiting but is already dumb. ISP are very incompetent
here in germany it's same mess with the isp's and the incompetency has no limit and it all getting only more absurd...

i am living right now in a small town and the max possible speed that i can get here through the line are 16mbit down and 1mbit up....but only 11mbits and 500kbits are possible. that all is called DSL 16 thousand and you need to pay the full price for it. :lol:

and that all in fking year 2021 and nothing changes since many years...

but the most funny is that i can get through LTE 50mbit down and 15-20mbit up at this place...that makes things some better but still this all just sucks...i am living next to a school and shops here...i always thought that at such places everything must be fine with internet and speeds but that not true...

and our poor neighbour countries sit on fiber and paying peanuts for it...
here in germany people pay 30-50 euros for fking 16mbit...telekom is more expensive cause they ruling everything and own almost all the lines that go from dslam to house...

but all this bad infrastructure has nothing to do with the issue i am experience right now for many years...
cause before i was living in a villiage with rly low speeds DLS 2000 thousand and everything was fine with online gaming...only the ping was some high and around 80ms...but at this times i never had the feel that i am handicapped or something bad going on...i don't had this feel that hitreg is broken or something is desynced...

and everything was fine some years ago at this small town place where i am right now with DLS 16 thousand...

so whatever this shiit is...it just appeared like from nowhere and i am 100% sure that i am not crazy or debile about this all...

it's hard to proof or show to someone that this issue is real...
the only proof that would work is if someone visits me and he would then immediately see and feel that something is very bad about online...he would stuck same like me at low ranks.
It really depends what exactly the issue is, many people complain, including myself, but the issues we have, might be totally different and independent. Considering the possible placebo and nocebo effects, it's almost impossible to diagnose the real problem and to find a universal fix that works for everyone. What some people experience is just internet lag because of their own isps or wrong game netcode configurations, what others experience is just unstable fps or mouse polling rates, might be some magical fps increasing guide(s )which people blindly follow without knowing what exactly they are doing to their systems and after every os reinstall the first thing to do is exactly the same bullsh*t, worn out mouse skates or mousepads, sweaty hands that make the pad wet after longer game sessions, heavily loaded or overheating components, bad shader cache and so on... I've had bad periods when i couldnt hit anything even when my connection was stable and i haven't had any issues, but sometimes despite the lags i can easily win and do some unbelievable shots. But no doubt, your connection is bad and you should definitely find another provider. Using unstable dsl in 21 century probably with interleaving on is the worst thing that can happen to a gamer, especially fps one.