BenQ XL2540K or Asus VG258QM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
djcreative

Re: BenQ XL2540K or Asus VG258QM

Post by djcreative » 15 Mar 2021, 20:46

Wow! Thank you for that detailed reply. Ya, I've considered the vg279qm because of its insane numbers, but with my goal being pure speed, I was convinced that TN is the way to go. Plus, when looking at those blur pictures, I always prefer the TN panels. The ips ones just look blurry to me. Something tells me that I would be happier with the ips and that they are the future, but I'm just going to stick with TN for now as I believe they have the completive edge (as of right now) for fps. No, I don't believe that I need or want strobe lighting because from my understanding it only "gives you the perception" of less blur. Plus, 170$ more(xl2546k), with the possibility that there are still pixel artifacts, no thanks! Well, I really want to get a new monitor ASAP so unless anyone has any more information about the vg258qm, or has any other suggestions, I'm going with the xl2540k. Also, when buying a monitor, where is the best place to buy one online? I've heard that amazon (and I'm sure other places) take returns that have nothing wrong with them, seal em up and resell them as new. I figured I could avoid that by buying directly from the manufacturers website. The only negative thing I could think of when buying from the manufacture would be maybe not a lot of people buy from them so they would have the older version of a specific model. Is that a thing? I've bought electronics in the past where they didn't change the model number or anything but there was a "newer" version of it (hd 600's). Again, does anyone have any more information about the vg258qm, or have any other suggestions? Thanks,

Justin

speancer

Post by speancer » 15 Mar 2021, 21:10

djcreative wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 20:46
Wow! Thank you for that detailed reply. Ya, I've considered the vg279qm because of its insane numbers, but with my goal being pure speed, I was convinced that TN is the way to go. Plus, when looking at those blur pictures, I always prefer the TN panels. The ips ones just look blurry to me. Something tells me that I would be happier with the ips and that they are the future, but I'm just going to stick with TN for now as I believe they have the completive edge (as of right now) for fps. No, I don't believe that I need or want strobe lighting because from my understanding it only "gives you the perception" of less blur. Plus, 170$ more(xl2546k), with the possibility that there are still pixel artifacts, no thanks! Well, I really want to get a new monitor ASAP so unless anyone has any more information about the vg258qm, or has any other suggestions, I'm going with the xl2540k. Also, when buying a monitor, where is the best place to buy one online? I've heard that amazon (and I'm sure other places) take returns that have nothing wrong with them, seal em up and resell them as new. I figured I could avoid that by buying directly from the manufacturers website. The only negative thing I could think of when buying from the manufacture would be maybe not a lot of people buy from them so they would have the older version of a specific model. Is that a thing? I've bought electronics in the past where they didn't change the model number or anything but there was a "newer" version of it (hd 600's). Again, does anyone have any more information about the vg258qm, or have any other suggestions? Thanks,

Justin
You're welcome. You should also quote people when you reply so they get notification. I could have missed your posts, but I checked this thread out of curiosity.

As for strobing, it's doesn't only "give you the perception" of less blur, it kills blur. If you're a person sensitive to motion blur and you think you'd find it useful for your gameplay to reduce blur as much as possible, you might actually love DyAc+, like axaro1 does (he posted here as well). If I actively look for a difference (in out-of-crosshair vision, eye tracking), it's there, and it's quite noticeable. It just doesn't affect my game much, because - like mentioned - I am stare-at-crosshair player, always trying to keep my crosshair placement right, that's the CS:GO thing. If you focus on the crosshair most of the time, blur reduction doesn't help much.

However, if you prefer TN, if you want to pass on strobing and you're 100% certain you don't wanna give new fastIPS a try, then I'd say there's not much of a choice. If you don't wanna wait till we get some reviews for VG258QM, then go for the XL2540K.

As for where to purchase your monitor, can't really help you with that one, I order from local stores only, and return/exchange policies as well as customer rights here in EU are bliss.
Main display (TV/PC monitor): LG 42C21LA (4K 120 Hz OLED / WBE panel)
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM/VG279QM [favourite LCD FPS display] (280 Hz IPS) • Zowie XL2546K/XL2540K/XL2546 (240 Hz TN DyAc) • Dell S3222DGM [favourite LCD display for the best blacks, contrast and panel uniformity] (165 Hz VA) • Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA (240 Hz IPS) • HP Omen X 25f (240 Hz TN) • MSI MAG251RX (240 Hz IPS) • Gigabyte M27Q (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Predator XB273X (240 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Predator XB271HU (165 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Nitro XV272UKV (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Nitro XV252QF (390 Hz IPS) • LG 27GN800 (144 Hz IPS) • LG 27GL850 (144 Hz nanoIPS) • LG 27GP850 (180 Hz nanoIPS) • Samsung Odyssey G7 (240 Hz VA)

OS: Windows 11 Pro GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Arctic MX-6 RAM: 32GB (2x16GB dual channel) DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast Black 6000 MHz CL30 (fully optimized primary and secondary timings by Buildzoid for SK Hynix die on AM5 platform) PSU: Corsair RM1200x SHIFT 1200W (ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR 600W) SSD1: Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD2: Corsair Force MP510 960GB PCIe 3.0 x4 MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (GPU PCIe 5.0 x16, NVMe PCIe 5.0 x4) CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802 Window White CASE FANS: be quiet! Silent Wings 4 140mm PWM (3x front, 1x rear, 1x top rear, positive pressure) MOUSE: Logitech G PRO X Superlight (white) Lightspeed wireless MOUSEPAD: ARTISAN FX HIEN (wine red, soft, XL) KEYBOARD: Logitech G915 TKL (white, GL Tactile) Lightspeed wireless HEADPHONES: Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless (white) 24-bit 96 KHz + Sennheiser BTD600 Bluetooth 5.2 aptX Adaptive CHAIR: Herman Miller Aeron (graphite, fully loaded, size C)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 15 Mar 2021, 22:03

I'm not sure what the difference between DyAc and DyAc+ is, but testing at identical brightness, contrast, Area (Strobe Phase) and Intensity (Strobe duty) settings, DyAc Premium is brighter than DyAc high, but the persistence (amount of blur reduction) seems to be identical. Just Premium has a significantly brighter picture. DyAc Premium with brightness=50 (OSD) seems to be about the same as DyAc High with brightness=100. So that means it has an internal brightness setting not related to the OSD brightness setting, but each "Dyac" setting can have independent OSD settings linked to it and saved (a pretty nice feature, although it gets a bit buggy when changing Display Mode profiles via the OSD vs using the S-switch profile button).

Note that any profile has a different OSD Brightness and Area and Intensity setting for each DyAc setting (which can be saved to the S-switch)

I guess I'm assuming that DyAc+ monitors have Premium and High and DyAc only has "on" and "off".
Last edited by Falkentyne on 15 Mar 2021, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

djcreative

Post by djcreative » 15 Mar 2021, 22:14

speancer wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 21:10
djcreative wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 20:46
You're welcome. You should also quote people when you reply so they get notification. I could have missed your posts, but I checked this thread out of curiosity.

As for strobing, it's doesn't only "give you the perception" of less blur, it kills blur. If you're a person sensitive to motion blur and you think you'd find it useful for your gameplay to reduce blur as much as possible, you might actually love DyAc+, like axaro1 does (he posted here as well). If I actively look for a difference (in out-of-crosshair vision, eye tracking), it's there, and it's quite noticeable. It just doesn't affect my game much, because - like mentioned - I am stare-at-crosshair player, always trying to keep my crosshair placement right, that's the CS:GO thing. If you focus on the crosshair most of the time, blur reduction doesn't help much.

However, if you prefer TN, if you want to pass on strobing and you're 100% certain you don't wanna give new fastIPS a try, then I'd say there's not much of a choice. If you don't wanna wait till we get some reviews for VG258QM, then go for the XL2540K.

As for where to purchase your monitor, can't really help you with that one, I order from local stores only, and return/exchange policies as well as customer rights here in EU are bliss.
Thanks for the tip! I hope i did it right! Alright, i think im going to go for the xl2540k. Ill probably give er the night to see if anyone els chimes in but if not im buying one tomorrow morning! Thanks again!

Justin

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 16 Mar 2021, 03:55

Falkentyne wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 22:03
I'm not sure what the difference between DyAc and DyAc+ is, but testing at identical brightness, contrast, Area (Strobe Phase) and Intensity (Strobe duty) settings, DyAc Premium is brighter than DyAc high, but the persistence (amount of blur reduction) seems to be identical. Just Premium has a significantly brighter picture. DyAc Premium with brightness=50 (OSD) seems to be about the same as DyAc High with brightness=100. So that means it has an internal brightness setting not related to the OSD brightness setting, but each "Dyac" setting can have independent OSD settings linked to it and saved (a pretty nice feature, although it gets a bit buggy when changing Display Mode profiles via the OSD vs using the S-switch profile button).

Note that any profile has a different OSD Brightness and Area and Intensity setting for each DyAc setting (which can be saved to the S-switch)

I guess I'm assuming that DyAc+ monitors have Premium and High and DyAc only has "on" and "off".
The difference between Dyac and Dyac+ is only the panel used, both the XL2546K and the XL2546S are marketed as Dyac+.

Are you speaking about the OG XL2546 when you say that Dyac Premium is brighter than Dyac High? Maybe Benq reworked the backlight with the S and K model to make it flash at higher brightness to compensate Dyac Premium black frame duration without sacrificing brightness.
On the K model when you set Brightness to 100, Dyac OFF, Dyac High and Dyac Premium can all achieve the same max brightness.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Tea Punk

Post by Tea Punk » 18 Mar 2021, 11:32

I just ordered the ASUS VG258QM. I just wanted a new monitor over my pg279q of 3 years THAT badly, was not happy at my in depth research with the 240hz competitors, and just decided to gamble that the new TN was at least as good if not better than the current options. I am too impatient to replace my monitor to wait for reviews. And if ends up being so bad it goes back anyway.

I've found 2 owner testimonials so far and a Chinese translated review (one owner is coming from 60hz so with no comparative experience, The other owner claims that the VG258QM was better in both motion clarity and responsiveness to the X25, and that it completely is superior to the Alienware 360). Still keeping realistic expectations. Very excited and imaptient to find out for myself.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Mar 2021, 16:01

axaro1 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 03:55
Falkentyne wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 22:03

The difference between Dyac and Dyac+ is only the panel used, both the XL2546K and the XL2546S are marketed as Dyac+.

Are you speaking about the OG XL2546 when you say that Dyac Premium is brighter than Dyac High? Maybe Benq reworked the backlight with the S and K model to make it flash at higher brightness to compensate Dyac Premium black frame duration without sacrificing brightness.
On the K model when you set Brightness to 100, Dyac OFF, Dyac High and Dyac Premium can all achieve the same max brightness.
Hi,
Did you check the service menu to verify that the "Intensity" is set to the same value on High and Premium?
You may have to move it up or down 1 to get it to read correctly, as I found it doesn't always register the correct ORIGINAL value the very first time you change it on a profile!

On my XL2746S, DyAC high and DyAc premium all have *different* default values for Intensity! Also, each Dyac value can "save" the OSD brightness settings along with it (I don't know how many other OSD values are saved, but I know the AMA value is also saved, and I'm sure there are others). There also seem to be INDEPENDENT Area and Intensity values for certain specific refresh rates! (60hz believe it or not, with all its double strobe madness, had DIFFERENT High and Premium values linked to it than 50hz (what) and 100-240hz! The freaking thing defaulted 60hz to Intensity "1". I was not happy....

When I equalized all the values, setting Brightness to 100 for High and Premium, setting Area to 0 and Intensity to 20 (most blur reduction/dimmest picture=25), and verified that the firmware saved all the settings for each DyAc independently, I saw that Premium + 50% brightness was the same brightness as High + 100% brightness. To preserve my own mental sanity, I did *NOT* test this with Intensity=1.

So please check your service menu and make sure the Area and Intensity values are the same for each Dyac setting! Even check the COLOR and GAMMA settings!

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 19 Mar 2021, 11:51

ASUS VG258QM short UFO test.(the review is in chinese with no subtitles so, i don't know which overdrive setting they used)
phpBB [video]

VS
Axaro1's BenQ XL2546K, AMA High, DyAc Off.
phpBB [video]
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Mar 2021, 15:31

Benq could have done a better job with the AMA.

On the XL2746S,
They used an Overdrive Gain of 24 for DyAc Off + AMA high, and 15 for DyAc on.
(this is at 165hz).

https://i.imgur.com/L7wZx7N.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jYtWYmL.jpg

Even Premium isn't too bad (OD Gain 29). They went a bit conservative on it as I prefer it a few notches higher up with DyAc on (but the two settings are perfect with Dyac off).

https://i.imgur.com/JnSxis1.jpg

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 20 Mar 2021, 04:09

Falkentyne wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 15:31
Benq could have done a better job with the AMA.

On the XL2746S,
They used an Overdrive Gain of 24 for DyAc Off + AMA high, and 15 for DyAc on.
(this is at 165hz).

https://i.imgur.com/L7wZx7N.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jYtWYmL.jpg

Even Premium isn't too bad (OD Gain 29). They went a bit conservative on it as I prefer it a few notches higher up with DyAc on (but the two settings are perfect with Dyac off).

https://i.imgur.com/JnSxis1.jpg
I see a high amount of overshoot from your pictures, does it translate into overshoot even with Dyac enabled?
From my experience a decent amount of overshoot can be easily hidden by the BFI duration, with Dyac Premium the only important part of each transition is the last 17% of a 4.17ms window, so if you overshoot at 50% and stabilize the transition at 75% you will not see any overshoot.

It's clear that Benq designs overdrives to be used specifically with Dyac but I honestly can't really see any overshoot with either AMA High or Premium and Dyac OFF when playing at 240hz unless I use a 240/480fps camera or I look closely at an ufotest.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he