Does G-Sync not work with Valorant?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
b2rdeez

Does G-Sync not work with Valorant?

Post by b2rdeez » 21 Nov 2021, 04:24

I have the LG 27GL850 and would like to play Valorant with G-Sync. For some reason G-Sync just does not work on Valorant. The G-Sync indicator does not show up in game and when I cap my fps to 60, my monitor refresh rate stays at 144 (checked through the osd). It works for other games. Like in CSGO and Apex Legends, the G-Sync indicator shows up and when I cap my fps to 60, the refresh rate also changes to 60. Does anyone have a fix for this? I really can't stand tearing and microstutter in Valorant. I'd rather play 141fps with G-Sync than play 500fps with tearing + microstutter.

b2rdeez

Re: Does G-Sync not work with Valorant?

Post by b2rdeez » 22 Nov 2021, 03:04

I got it to work. It seems like the Nvidia control panel is a little buggy. It isn't enough to just have G-sync enabled from the global settings. You gotta do it for individual game as well. For example on a specific game setting like Valorant, you have to make sure the Monitor Technology setting is set to G-Sync Compatible with the words bolded. Weird but this fixes it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2021, 18:10

Most fluid stutter-free G-SYNC behavior occurs with:

NVCP G-SYNC = ON
NVCP VSYNC = ON
In-Game VSYNC = OFF
In-Game Framerate Cap = 3fps below Hz

If you want lower-lag behavior, you can use NVCP VSYNC OFF and remove your in-game frame rate cap, but if you care about motion fluidity, you want to use an in-game framerate cap while also using NVCP VSYNC ON simultaneously with in-game VSYNC OFF.

That being said, you will hear other players recommend against GSYNC for esports due to one factor or another. However, it can be used judiciously, with the right game settings. Generally, esports-friendly GSYNC requires a VRR range bigger than framerate range. If your framerate fluctuates 100-200fps, then you want a 240Hz panel to avoid the loss of framerate caused by capping. VRR ranges bigger than framerate ranges also virtually eliminates the latency penalty of GSYNC too.

For better GSYNC performance with gaming mice, you will also want to make sure your mouse Hz is high (1000Hz or 2000Hz), preferably high-DPI low-sensitivity (Valorant performs well with high-DPI low-sens operations).

Your mileage will vary, the right settings for the right job -- these may not be the best. They're just the most fluid (least stutters).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

loject

Post by loject » 26 Mar 2022, 16:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 18:10

NVCP G-SYNC = ON
NVCP VSYNC = ON
In-Game VSYNC = OFF

If you want lower-lag behavior, you can use NVCP VSYNC OFF and remove your in-game frame rate cap, but if you care about motion fluidity, you want to use an in-game framerate cap while also using NVCP VSYNC ON simultaneously with in-game VSYNC OFF.

That being said, you will hear other players recommend against GSYNC for esports due to one factor or another. However, it can be used judiciously, with the right game settings. Generally, esports-friendly GSYNC requires a VRR range bigger than framerate range. If your framerate fluctuates 100-200fps, then you want a 240Hz panel to avoid the loss of framerate caused by capping. VRR ranges bigger than framerate ranges also virtually eliminates the latency penalty of GSYNC too.

For better GSYNC performance with gaming mice, you will also want to make sure your mouse Hz is high (1000Hz or 2000Hz), preferably high-DPI low-sensitivity (Valorant performs well with high-DPI low-sens operations).

Your mileage will vary, the right settings for the right job -- these may not be the best. They're just the most fluid (least stutters).
is it bad to use NVCP frame cap?

dannyoceanic

Post by dannyoceanic » 22 Aug 2022, 08:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:

NVCP G-SYNC = ON
NVCP VSYNC = ON
In-Game VSYNC = OFF

Hello and thanks for the post
I hope you are still checking this forum and see my reply here :)

I wanted to ask you some questions for the "smoothest" option for valorant, you are running currently? Would you mind sharing your ingame video options and Nvidia option for the game as well?

I dont want to bother you, but I tried the options that you mentioned above out, and the game runs smoother then before. This is my favorite game and I want to get the best performance (best smoothness) with my system with it.

Krylex

Post by Krylex » 02 Apr 2023, 11:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Sorry to reply in old topic, but how much DPI is considered high or "enough"? Mine was always set at 800...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Apr 2023, 00:13

Krylex wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 11:49
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Sorry to reply in old topic, but how much DPI is considered high or "enough"? Mine was always set at 800...
Depends on what you do in the game, but higher DPI makes slow-tracking feel better.

Subpixel mouse movement that is massively oversampled relative to screen resolution, can produce a very smooth antialiased slow mouseturn feel -- doubling DPI and halving ensitivity, and testing improvements to the quality of slow tracking while making sure your fast flicks are unaffected/unchanged (no change to aimtraining).

At 800dpi, if you track mouse only 0.25 inch per second, you will have only (800 x 0.25) = 200 unique frames per second of mouselook. Now slide mouse at 0.1 inch per second as if you're tracking crosshairs on a slow-flying object (like laser-painting a moving target for your teammate's missile), you have only (800 x 0.1) = 80 unique frames per second of moouselook.

Not all games (and perhaps not your Valorant games) force you to do slow-tracking as a primary game manoever, and this is where sometimes a higher DPI can improve your slow-tracking ability.

Obviously, not every gamer sniperscope-tracks that slowly (tracking, e.g. like keeping crosshairs continuously on a moving object -- can be useful if you're spraying a low-recoil weapon or laser). It won't affect frame rate of the physics/enemies, but it can affect graininess feel of mouselook.

Today's modern monitor refresh rates are now far beyond that, so 800dpi can sabotage your mouseturn/mouselook frame rate of your slowtracks (e.g. sniper scoping etc). Also, subpixel mouselooking is supported by Valorant (e.g. mouseturn of half a pixel is properly antialiased in 3D rendering), so you want to oversample your mouselook resolution a fair bit, if possible.

And higher resolutions (e.g. 1440p and 4K) makes the graniness slow mouseturn/mouselook easier to see than it used to during the 1080p era.

Now that said if you use ultra low sensitivity, you may not notice all that much, but with today's 360Hz+ era, the extra DPI helps.

Now that being said, people have noticed problems with some mice and games with high DPI, but if you have a good mouse sensor, a good mousepad with a proper texture for high-DPI mice, and clean mouse feet -- then the improvements of going beyond 800dpi is more noticeable in the 1440p360 era than it used to be in the 1080p60 era.

The higher the sensitivity, the more the DPI upgrade is noticeable for slowtracking improvements. If you're a low-DPI high-sensitivity fan, then the improvements is much more massive -- e.g. 800dpi at high sensitivity where mouselook may actually jump more than 1 pixel at a time. If that is the case, slow tracking will always feel grainy until sensitivity is lowered or DPI is raised (preferably both at the same time).

Many have reported fewer problems going higher DPI with Valorant than with CS:GO. You may want to use an online mouse DPI calculator to make sure you don't wreck your aimtraining when upgrading your DPI.

The litmus test is:
1. Double your DPI and halve your sensitivity.
2. Make sure fast flick is unchanged: Test your aimtraining to make sure nothing feels changed and nothing feels different
3. Make sure slow flick is massively improved: Test your slow tracking. That's the improvement

You may need to use the configuration file to make sure you're able to halve your sensitivity exactly, using your existing 400dpi or 800dpi configuration as a starting base. Some games won't let you adjust sensitivity with enough decimal digits in the UI. For example 0.5 sensitivity can't be halved to 0.25 sensitivity if your UI only allows one decimal digit; in that case, editing a configuration file is necessary. Fortunately, Valorant offers you more digits than that, but it's a consideration for muscle memory when unifying DPI behavior in all your games. You can use mouse DPI profile switching to keep your mousefeel synchronized between all your games, if you use 800 in some and 1600 or 2000 or 3200 in others;

Improvements should be visible, especially if your resolution and refresh rate is high enough to show it; (and your mouse is ready for the high DPI: Mouse sensor functions properly at the high DPI , your mousepad is well-textured, your mouse feet is clean)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PacketAuditor

Post by PacketAuditor » 27 Jul 2023, 09:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Apr 2023, 00:13
Today's modern monitor refresh rates are now far beyond that, so 800dpi can sabotage your mouseturn/mouselook frame rate of your slowtracks (e.g. sniper scoping etc).
Would you say 1440p240hz with 400dpi with a relatively low in-game sensitivity (1.85 CS:GO) would be a concern. I doesn't feel like my mouse is skipping pixels, but I'm not sure how you would calculate exactly when DPI becomes a bottleneck.