ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2022, 15:11

SaberEdge wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:35
I'm sorry, I was just kind of joking around with you guys. It didn't come that way, I modded it. I can control the lighting conditions and I prefer glossy screens for the richer colors and better perceived black levels and contrast. I love the monitor and it looks amazing this way.
OH! You modded it! Congratulations for showing the way.

Have you film-removed other monitors before, and how difficult was XG2431 compared to it? This is useful information for other people considering DIY modding, because you're the first modder to report a glossy XG2431 success.

It's a great specimen, I wish there were more glossy 240Hz gaming monitors.

Some of us actually have painful eyestrain from the speckle of antigloss coatings, and some of us would pay extra for your specimen. Some like antiglare but they also add unintentional side effects to some users. There are many causes of eyestrain, and one cause is a specific type of antiglare coating -- while another cause us blue light -- etc.

Some of us actually occasionally have paid three figures (aka between $100-$200) to a modder for converting a high-Hz gaming monitor to a glossy monitor. The big killer, though, is shipping cost $$$ and the risk of damage (by all the shipping and by modder accidents). Sometimes they're Prime shipped straight to them, before shipping to user, to cut the number of times the monitor is shipped. Following a YouTube video instructions on how antiglare is removed, is also good.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SaberEdge

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by SaberEdge » 18 Feb 2022, 18:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 15:11
SaberEdge wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:35
I'm sorry, I was just kind of joking around with you guys. It didn't come that way, I modded it. I can control the lighting conditions and I prefer glossy screens for the richer colors and better perceived black levels and contrast. I love the monitor and it looks amazing this way.
OH! You modded it! Congratulations for showing the way.

Have you film-removed other monitors before, and how difficult was XG2431 compared to it? This is useful information for other people considering DIY modding, because you're the first modder to report a glossy XG2431 success.

It's a great specimen, I wish there were more glossy 240Hz gaming monitors.

Some of us actually have painful eyestrain from the speckle of antigloss coatings, and some of us would pay extra for your specimen. Some like antiglare but they also add unintentional side effects to some users. There are many causes of eyestrain, and one cause is a specific type of antiglare coating -- while another cause us blue light -- etc.

Some of us actually occasionally have paid three figures (aka between $100-$200) to a modder for converting a high-Hz gaming monitor to a glossy monitor. The big killer, though, is shipping cost $$$ and the risk of damage (by all the shipping and by modder accidents). Sometimes they're Prime shipped straight to them, before shipping to user, to cut the number of times the monitor is shipped. Following a YouTube video instructions on how antiglare is removed, is also good.
I agree with all you said. I myself am bothered by matte coatings. Especially if it's really heavy and grainy. But I also just generally think glossy screens (like what OLED, Plasma and CRT TVs have) produce a richer, more engaging image.

I understand that some people prefer matte screens and there are definitely certain applications where I can see their utility, but I'm kind of annoyed and surprised that glossy screens aren't even an option on gaming monitors. It's an entertainment device, after all. You're likely going to be using it in your home where you can control lighting to a large degree and also position the monitor to minimize reflections.

And yeah, I've been modding my monitors to give them glossy screens for probably 10 years or more. I was early involved with removing the matte film using the soak-with-wet-towels method, but I later moved to an entirely different method. This second method involves wet sanding and buffing the screen similar to what you do for an automotive paint job. I've done about a half dozen displays now using this second method.

SaberEdge

Post by SaberEdge » 18 Feb 2022, 19:15

To be clear, I didn't use the soak-with-wet towels method on the XG2431. I wouldn't want anyone to assume I did, try it, and damage their awesome monitor. In my experience, IPS panels for some reason often have issues with that method. It seems they tend to use a different adhesive or the actual makeup of the polarizer is different. I've actually only tried a few IPS panels, so the sample size is small, but that's my impression. You frequently end up with lines or striations in the surface of the polarizer or you can't seem to get the matte film to come up off the polarizer at all.

Anyway, this newer method involves more effort but it has several advantages. First, it seems to work on any kind of LCD screen. Second, it avoids the issues I previously mentioned. Third, since you are actually just polishing the matte film your screen maintains that layer of protection, making it more durable and resistant to scratches. On the other hand, when you remove the matte film completely the rear side of the polarizer is glossy, which is why it looks good, but the problem is that it's very thin and prone to getting scratches. Finally, this method also opens up the possibility to give it just the degree of glossiness that you desire. Semi-glossy is an option with this method. You can customize it to suit your particular preference in screen finish.

If people are interested I can share more details about how to carry out this method. I've been meaning to share it with the community for a while now.

elexor

Post by elexor » 18 Feb 2022, 19:58

Wow. do tell people have been crying out for glossy gaming monitors.
SaberEdge wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 19:15
If people are interested I can share more details about how to carry out this method. I've been meaning to share it with the community for a while now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2022, 00:55

This would be a great HOWTO thread, though I should add the caveat of voiding the warranty -- A minority, but a HOWTO thread as a new thread would be very welcome here (with a big warning disclaimer though).

I have heard some manufacturers considering releasing glossy high-Hz monitors at least as an option.

Apple screens are always glossy, and now high Hz is becoming a more common in work+play situations, rather than play-only situations. Video editing, photoshop, etc, are now viable on these new improved-color high Hz monitors hitting the market left and right. So glossy needs to come as an option.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Coldplayer

Post by Coldplayer » 20 Feb 2022, 03:32

Anyone got a good baseline to use at 240hz with the strobe utility? I get headaches when looking at the ufo's so setting it manually is hard for me.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2022, 06:05

Coldplayer wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 03:32
Anyone got a good baseline to use at 240hz with the strobe utility? I get headaches when looking at the ufo's so setting it manually is hard for me.
Not necessary for baseline calibration -- it's factory pre-calibrated.

It is factory pre-calibrated at 240Hz default, with ideal "baseline" settings already that Blur Busters provided to ViewSonic to burn into the firmware.

To improve it further (minor panel lottery effects / temperature differences / etc), you'll need to use the UFOs to get your panel-specific calibration rather than the already factory-calibrated baseline. That's how colorimeters pros do it -- for those minor panel-specific color variances.

Strobe calibration instructions are at www.blurbusters.com/xg2431

Fio

Post by Fio » 20 Feb 2022, 22:39

Hey all, just popping in to make sure i don't have a monitor issue on my hands.

Does anyone else have issues with the XG2431 dropping GSYNC randomly after a few hours? Iv had my XG2431 for about a month at this point but haven't really had much serious game time on it till this month. I noticed over the course of my long seasons that the framerate would start to feel a bit funky. I enabled the G-Sync in-game notification thingy and yeah, G-sync seems to randomly disable itself. I'll do a fresh start of my PC, play MW for an hour or two, quit to do other things and next time i boot up ANY game, the G-SYNC indicator won't appear, nor will the monitor hz appear to dynamically match my frame rate in the monitor information menu. G-Sync will still be enabled in NVCP and the monitor menu. But just won't work until a fresh reboot. Rinse repeat.

Iv tried the very latest driver, iv also tried some older drivers (currently on 511.2. DDU for every driver re-install), iv tried disabling and re-enabling G-sync in the NVCP. Nothing but a fresh reboot of my PC will get it working again. I also noticed that when G-sync does "work" the monitor information menu does not report the same frame rate as i get in game. I'll be at say...140 FPS in MW but the monitor information menu will display random fluctuating hz like 150/200/130. It just never lines up exactly with my framerate in game. I thought that's how G-Sync worked?

I know this isn't a tech support thread. But is this sounding more like a monitor issue or a software issue? I don't really want to RMA as otherwise this is a REALLY nice display. But fluctuating framerates without Gsync just feel meh...

datspike

Post by datspike » 21 Feb 2022, 02:54

datspike wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 04:29
Actually I have a question. Am I right that this monitor does the QFT automatically?
After making two profiles for 165 Hz with no VT tweak and 166 Hz with high VT I can't really see a difference in the higher/lower parts on the screen between them.
Figured it out. Turns out the limit for high VT's / QFT is around 575 Mhz of pixel clock (in CRU). If set above the monitor is switching to "default" vertical total which is around 1100 for 165 Hz.
So far working great in that mode:

Code: Select all

1920x1080 165Hz
VT: 1585
Strobe Width 28
Strobe Phase 99
Overdrive 26
XG2431 | MSI MAG251RX | Lacie 22b4 | Sony F520

romandalorian

Post by romandalorian » 21 Feb 2022, 13:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 16:30
romandalorian wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 19:19
Today's my second day using this monitor and I noticed that monitor's speakers are silent when I play anything with sound from my pc unless I go into the monitor's OSD sound settings and adjust the volume manually. My windows volume is set to 70 and it isn't muted either. Anyone else experiencing this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Py9ZUWbZaAjjebJi8
The monitor's volume adjustment sets the maximum volume level.

Leave the monitor's audio at the highest volume level you plan to use.

And then use your Windows volume setting to set it lower / mute it on the Windows end.
The monitor's volume adjustment and the windows volume adjustment are both set to max but there is still no sound coming from the monitor speakers. I have to either go into the monitor's OSD settings and mute/unmute the display or disable/enable the sound under "Set up digital audio" in Nvidia Control Panel to start hearing sounds from the monitor speakers.