Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Amalion

Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Post by Amalion » 27 Jul 2014, 13:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Moderator's Note:
Laser projectors are zero lag & zero blur. This thread becomes really interesting in subsequent pages. See the subsequent posts on laser despeckling film and homebrew laser projector.
Hi all,

It seems no-one else was intrigued by this thread started by Light23?
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1118

I would definitely buy one of these devices if I could find it used, as that resolution would be ideal for emulation; maybe the brightness level could be improved if it was used with a really short throw (for a monitor-sized resulting image?)

Chief, if you see this; I don't think I recall you ever talking about laser displays for blurbusting, I assume there's a reason for that?
I get the impression from a quick readaround that most "laser" projectors are actually just DLP and this particular model is unusual. It looks like they've made an HD module since then, but it hasn't been used on anything that's made it to market.
Does anyone know more about them?

flood

Re: Laser projectors general?

Post by flood » 27 Jul 2014, 17:34

I think laser displays/projectors would be a nice successor to CRTs. scanning illumination, wideeeee gamut, no phosphor decay, no native resolution

Light23

Post by Light23 » 27 Jul 2014, 18:34

I'm still on the forum. :D
If anyone wants me to test anything with my laser projectors just let me know. ;)

The projectors don't show up on Ebay near as much as they use to, but they can still be found every once and awhile.
I recommend getting the Microvision ShowWX+ or ShowWX+ with HDMI if you can find them.
(The original ShowWX has the same no blur properties as well and can be found on Ebay under Uniden brand Laser pico projector.)

I do not have mine setup as a projector but more as a back-lit projector monitor using custom made special dark high contrast rear projection film that eliminates 100% of the laser speckle effect.

If anyone is interested in more info let me know.

flood

Post by flood » 28 Jul 2014, 03:06

does it connect to pc?

Amalion

Post by Amalion » 28 Jul 2014, 07:01

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I would be very interested in hearing more about your setup. What size image do you achieve, and what lighting environments is it usable in?

If I understand correctly from searching around, Microvision developed a better version of this projector engine in 2012 and since then it's been used in nothing but car head-up displays. WHYYY

Alamar

Post by Alamar » 28 Jul 2014, 07:08

Yes it seems an interesting technology. It would be also nice if it could be used with for example 140-144hz refresh rate or more.

Blurless

Post by Blurless » 18 Nov 2014, 10:06

This thread deserves a bump.

No motion blur and deep blacks on a big projected image? That does sound great! Is it true? Can any knowledgeable people say something about laser technology? Since I've learned so much on this site it's crazy how much nonsense is said elsewhere.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 18 Nov 2014, 11:24

I am very very very VERY interested in this now...

Are you telling me the projected image shows no/little motion blur? And the colors are good?

Its 848x480 @ 60hz only tho, yes?
Gona have to look if there are more, bigger res laser projectors out there.

And most importantly, interested how they achieve the low motion blur. Not sure if projectors flicker their picture.
Wondering if this is the way to combine low motion blur with variable refresh rates together.

Light23

Post by Light23 » 19 Nov 2014, 08:26

Blurless wrote: No motion blur and deep blacks on a big projected image?
The Microvision laser projector is different than the panel lcd types because the image is built pixel by pixel by very precisely shaped laser beam reflecting off a scanning mirror in a raster pattern onto the screen. When a black pixel is desired, the light is turned off - this produces the BEST infinite contrast and perceived blacks - and the color of each "pixel" is produced one at a time so color fidelity is excellent. The widest color gamut of any display in the world (200% NTSC!) No display tech comes even close to 200% NTSC.
Edmond wrote:I am very very very VERY interested in this now...

Are you telling me the projected image shows no/little motion blur? And the colors are good?
Yes, absolutely NO motion blur even at 60hz.
The colors are better than AdobeRGB color space and head and shoulders better than HDTV color space.
Focus-free image, absolute blacks, the BEST colors, smooth image with no visible pixels. (Because it doesn't have pixels.)
(Showwx+ on the right)

Imagine a gaming screen that produces no light on dark scenes for an infinite on/off contrast, creates a picture with edged laser light that blends together for a film-like image, highly saturated colors, and uses a laser light source that lasts 20,000 + hours!

It also is evenly lit from corner to corner unlike ALL other projectors and never suffers from burn in or stuck/hot pixels.
Edmond wrote: Its 848x480 @ 60hz only tho, yes?
I have pushed mine up to 75hz with no problem. (The chipset processor ICs do get hot though.) It might be able to do 99hz but I'm not that brave to see if it will handle it yet but I should test one to see how far it will go. lol

I use mine for emulation mostly like playing Sonic on the Genesis emulator Fusion which has Vsync enabled properly.
(FPS are GREAT on this display, and I don't have to do any LCD light strobing to get blur free motion!)

The diagonal is the same as the distance between the projector and the screen - thus, a 12-inch distance equals a 12-inch diagonal. (I have mine in a back projected TV display like configuration.)

The blur free motion is a result of the direct laser raster scanning method of the LBS system.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 19 Nov 2014, 10:52

Interesting. Sorry for the stupid question but are these projectors only useable in a pitch black room (like normal projectors)?