240hz dosent feel like 240hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
snirnaim

240hz dosent feel like 240hz

Post by snirnaim » 28 Jan 2023, 15:35

Hello, i have noticed after going to a friend house that is 240hz monitor looks way more smooth then mine not sure what could be the problem, i run fps of 240-300 in all games i play, and 240hz is turn on in nvidia settings and windows

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 240hz dosent feel like 240hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2023, 21:52

1. Are you doing multiple monitors? Try single monitor.

2. Try using "G-SYNC + VSYNC ON" instead of VSYNC OFF. It's much smoother than VSYNC OFF but may have a little bit more lag.

3. Test for frameskipping problem, www.testufo.com/frameskipping
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

snirnaim

Post by snirnaim » 29 Jan 2023, 02:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 21:52
1. Are you doing multiple monitors? Try single monitor.
2. Try using "G-SYNC + VSYNC ON" instead of VSYNC OFF. It's much smoother than VSYNC OFF but may have a little bit more lag.

3. Test for frameskipping problem, www.testufo.com/frameskipping
I did the frame skipping thing and not sure if I did it right but this is the results
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/lfHQWubVnh8T
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/jwI8FFhsRwyh
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/fZDbZaMjz8uV

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2023, 19:01

You have VSYNC OFF tearing in your web browser. This suggests a VSYNC settings misconfiguration might also be playing a role here, and using anything except VSYNC ON will make text scrolling very crappy.

VSYNC OFF belongs to CS:GO and not to Google Chrome...

1. Uninstall your graphics drivers
2. Reinstall your graphics drivers with completely reset graphics settings
3. Initially, stay away from changing NVIDIA Control Panel settings, it is best not set global systemwide VSYNC OFF. Only do it in your game menu.

---and---

A. Pay attention to proper surgical configuration of VSYNC. Blind VSYNC setting configuration is often a major cause of stutters and tearing on many gaming systems. Using the computer usually needs VSYNC ON for everything except for CS:GO and Fortnite. Right Tool For Right Job. VSYNC OFF adds a lot of stutter/tearing to some software such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and FireFox. You don't want VSYNC OFF for scrolling text or the scrolling text looks worse than a 60Hz monitor..

B. Pay attention to your mouse fluidity. Also, make sure your mouseturns is as smooth as keyboard strafes. Clean mousepad, clean mousefeet, high pollrate, reasonably high DPI (unless the game hates it), make sure your mouse is configured to 1000Hz, and your mouse is plugged into a fairly low-congestion port. Don't overshare your USB Root Hub with a big array of external drives, audio, external USB monitors, USB video, USB high-Hz keyboard on the same motherboard ports as the mouse. Buy a separate USB PCIe card just for your mouse, if necessary -- to get the smoothest mousedrags, mouseturns, and mousecursor movements uncongested by other USB traffic.

____

Be noted, this may not be your only problem; but let's fix this one layer of the stutter onion, before fixing the other layers of your stutter oinion.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

snirnaim

Post by snirnaim » 30 Jan 2023, 06:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 19:01
You have VSYNC OFF tearing in your web browser. This suggests a VSYNC settings misconfiguration might also be playing a role here, and using anything except VSYNC ON will make text scrolling very crappy.

VSYNC OFF belongs to CS:GO and not to Google Chrome...

1. Uninstall your graphics drivers
2. Reinstall your graphics drivers with completely reset graphics settings
3. Initially, stay away from changing NVIDIA Control Panel settings, it is best not set global systemwide VSYNC OFF. Only do it in your game menu.

---and---

A. Pay attention to proper surgical configuration of VSYNC. Blind VSYNC setting configuration is often a major cause of stutters and tearing on many gaming systems. Using the computer usually needs VSYNC ON for everything except for CS:GO and Fortnite. Right Tool For Right Job. VSYNC OFF adds a lot of stutter/tearing to some software such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and FireFox. You don't want VSYNC OFF for scrolling text or the scrolling text looks worse than a 60Hz monitor..

B. Pay attention to your mouse fluidity. Also, make sure your mouseturns is as smooth as keyboard strafes. Clean mousepad, clean mousefeet, high pollrate, reasonably high DPI (unless the game hates it), make sure your mouse is configured to 1000Hz, and your mouse is plugged into a fairly low-congestion port. Don't overshare your USB Root Hub with a big array of external drives, audio, external USB monitors, USB video, USB high-Hz keyboard on the same motherboard ports as the mouse. Buy a separate USB PCIe card just for your mouse, if necessary -- to get the smoothest mousedrags, mouseturns, and mousecursor movements uncongested by other USB traffic.

____

Be noted, this may not be your only problem; but let's fix this one layer of the stutter onion, before fixing the other layers of your stutter oinion.
by having vsync on you mean having it turn on in nvidia panel?
i have vsync off in overwatch people says its recommend to have it off, even with ON it looks basically the same

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 30 Jan 2023, 11:54

Which ASUS 240hz monitor is it?
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2023, 13:48

snirnaim wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 06:30
by having vsync on you mean having it turn on in nvidia panel?
i have vsync off in overwatch people says its recommend to have it off, even with ON it looks basically the same
You can turn it on in Overwatch, but your setting change should only affect Overwatch. It is affecting Google Chrome too (probably the full screen mode VSYNC setting).

Are you having smoothness problems inside your Overwatch game, compared to Overwatch running on your friend's computer?

Do a test.
1. Do a keyboard strafe left/right. Make sure it is as smooth as windowed www.testufo.com
2. Do a mouselook. Is it much worse?

If so, then your mouse is the problem. Focus on mouse settings next. High DPI and low sensitivity is often smoother for slow turns.

Bobo

Post by Bobo » 30 Jan 2023, 21:56

i got a similar problem with a aw2518h, it doesnt have that fluidity that it used to have.
when i bought it, it was running well, it did had overshoot but was fluid/smooth, and one day i decided to swap the cables from HDMI to DP, that fluidity that you get with 240 hz was gone, i swapped them back and nothing changed, the image also got a lot more grainier, like when you raise the sharpness to an insane amount.

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 31 Jan 2023, 14:03

I have AW2518HF and i can say that i feel the picture not so good in comparison to year 2018 or 19 when bought but it can be made by a pure fact that i also play on new 280hz IPS asus with ELMB on at second location. So when i come to first location, i notice something is "wrong".
It also seems that human eye cant return back to "worse" refresh rate as it gets used to best one ever experienced and lower refresh feels then extremelly unbearable.
In 2002 i had the same with 85 and 75hz. Yesterday before i upgraded to windows 11 to solve this bug forever, my screen turned again back to 144Hz and i was wondering how can someone play at 144Hz, i couldnt withstand it more than 2 minutes of playing how unfluent and stuttering the picture was.