really?FPSMaster wrote: ↑26 Apr 2023, 05:32I think you mixed something up. This is a Post for turning OFF Hpet, not turning it On. I only showed someone in here, how to revert back to stock HPET Settings, if this Tweak didnt help for him.Slender wrote: ↑25 Apr 2023, 19:42I'm reading this and just horrified by all of you.
never put values just like that.
one dude writes to turn on the hpet, for some reason you need to turn on the RTC tick (usetick yes), why?
https://sites.google.com/view/melodystw ... et-tsc-pmt
Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
- Slender
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: 25 Jan 2020, 17:55
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
- Attachments
-
- Screenshot_2023-04-27-00-26-24-30_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg (205.04 KiB) Viewed 16538 times
-
FPSMaster
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 04 Jun 2021, 20:39
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
If you know, using 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes' you simply force the system to use a different timer then High Precision Event timer. Its not HPET, as you claim it to be.Slender wrote: ↑26 Apr 2023, 16:27really?FPSMaster wrote: ↑26 Apr 2023, 05:32I think you mixed something up. This is a Post for turning OFF Hpet, not turning it On. I only showed someone in here, how to revert back to stock HPET Settings, if this Tweak didnt help for him.Slender wrote: ↑25 Apr 2023, 19:42I'm reading this and just horrified by all of you.
never put values just like that.
one dude writes to turn on the hpet, for some reason you need to turn on the RTC tick (usetick yes), why?
https://sites.google.com/view/melodystw ... et-tsc-pmt
As for the website you posted, I can't really seek any usefull Information out of that.
By applying 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes', the system will use the Platform Timer rather then the High Precision Event timer. I must say, this is better for older Systems and older applications. In the worst case scenario, it won't do any difference.
Without any Timer, the system would actually perform really bad. By using the command, you simply switch to another timer.
- Slender
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: 25 Jan 2020, 17:55
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
I agree about deletevalue useplatformclockFPSMaster wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:02If you know, using 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes' is a different timer then High Precision Event timer. Its not HPET, as you claim to be. It has a different clock rate, which is better.Slender wrote: ↑26 Apr 2023, 16:27really?FPSMaster wrote: ↑26 Apr 2023, 05:32I think you mixed something up. This is a Post for turning OFF Hpet, not turning it On. I only showed someone in here, how to revert back to stock HPET Settings, if this Tweak didnt help for him.Slender wrote: ↑25 Apr 2023, 19:42I'm reading this and just horrified by all of you.
never put values just like that.
one dude writes to turn on the hpet, for some reason you need to turn on the RTC tick (usetick yes), why?
https://sites.google.com/view/melodystw ... et-tsc-pmt
As for the website you posted, I can't really seek any usefull Information out of that.
By applying 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes', the system will use the Platform Timer rather then the High Precision Event timer. I must say, this is better for older Systems and older applications. In the worst case scenario, it won't do any difference.
Without any Timer, the system would actually perform really bad. By using the command, you simply switch to another timer.
but, im not understand why you /SET
tscsyncpolicy, disabledynamictick, useplatformtick (RTC TICK).
this has nothing to do with HPET.
Why are you doing bad things to people by giving these commands?
-
FPSMaster
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 04 Jun 2021, 20:39
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
'bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy enhanced' will spread the timestamps generated by the timer more evenly across all CPU cores. The default value will rather choose one core/thread.Slender wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:07I agree about deletevalue useplatformclockFPSMaster wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:02If you know, using 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes' is a different timer then High Precision Event timer. Its not HPET, as you claim to be. It has a different clock rate, which is better.
As for the website you posted, I can't really seek any usefull Information out of that.
By applying 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes', the system will use the Platform Timer rather then the High Precision Event timer. I must say, this is better for older Systems and older applications. In the worst case scenario, it won't do any difference.
Without any Timer, the system would actually perform really bad. By using the command, you simply switch to another timer.
but, im not understand why you /SET
tscsyncpolicy, , useplatformtick (RTC TICK).
this has nothing to do with HPET.
Why are you doing bad things to people by giving these commands?
dynamictick is actually a stupid old power saving feature from 2012, which as it says, it dynamically adjusts the Timer Clock Frequency, instead of having it consistent and smooth.
Using the Command 'bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes' could potentially increase Temperatures by a couple degrees. Its not a good setting to use, if you care about power consumption and you are using a laptop, as I told the guy.
I allready explained the use of useplatformtick.
Can you please tell me, why it's bad?
Last edited by FPSMaster on 27 Apr 2023, 06:41, edited 2 times in total.
- Slender
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: 25 Jan 2020, 17:55
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
where you find info about tscsyncpolicy?FPSMaster wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:35'bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy enhanced' will spread the timestamps generated by the timer more evenly across all CPU cores. The default value will rather choose one core/thread.Slender wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:07I agree about deletevalue useplatformclockFPSMaster wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:02If you know, using 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes' is a different timer then High Precision Event timer. Its not HPET, as you claim to be. It has a different clock rate, which is better.
As for the website you posted, I can't really seek any usefull Information out of that.
By applying 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes', the system will use the Platform Timer rather then the High Precision Event timer. I must say, this is better for older Systems and older applications. In the worst case scenario, it won't do any difference.
Without any Timer, the system would actually perform really bad. By using the command, you simply switch to another timer.
but, im not understand why you /SET
tscsyncpolicy, , useplatformtick (RTC TICK).
this has nothing to do with HPET.
Why are you doing bad things to people by giving these commands?
dynamictick is actually a stupid old power saving feature from 2012, which as it says, it dynamically adjusts the Timer Clock Frequency, instead of having it consistent and smooth.
Using the Command 'bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes' could potentially increase Temperatures by a couple degrees. Its not a good setting to use, if you care about power consumption and you are using a laptop, as I told the guy.
I allready explained the use of useplatformtick.
Can you please tell me, why it's bad?
useplatformtick yes cause perfomance problem on 1803+, it decrease one-core perfomance so high (1/0.5ms), it is not good setting for all.
anyway, these 3 /set commands not provide disable HPET.
-
FPSMaster
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 04 Jun 2021, 20:39
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
Youre right, these commands are not necessary for disabling HPET, but work in hand with HPET/Timers. They should improve CPU Usage and reduce CPU Processing effectively, and thats also why I saw great performance benefits. Of course it depends on the specifik system too.Slender wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:40where you find info about tscsyncpolicy?FPSMaster wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:35'bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy enhanced' will spread the timestamps generated by the timer more evenly across all CPU cores. The default value will rather choose one core/thread.Slender wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:07I agree about deletevalue useplatformclockFPSMaster wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:02
If you know, using 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes' is a different timer then High Precision Event timer. Its not HPET, as you claim to be. It has a different clock rate, which is better.
As for the website you posted, I can't really seek any usefull Information out of that.
By applying 'bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes', the system will use the Platform Timer rather then the High Precision Event timer. I must say, this is better for older Systems and older applications. In the worst case scenario, it won't do any difference.
Without any Timer, the system would actually perform really bad. By using the command, you simply switch to another timer.
but, im not understand why you /SET
tscsyncpolicy, , useplatformtick (RTC TICK).
this has nothing to do with HPET.
Why are you doing bad things to people by giving these commands?
dynamictick is actually a stupid old power saving feature from 2012, which as it says, it dynamically adjusts the Timer Clock Frequency, instead of having it consistent and smooth.
Using the Command 'bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes' could potentially increase Temperatures by a couple degrees. Its not a good setting to use, if you care about power consumption and you are using a laptop, as I told the guy.
I allready explained the use of useplatformtick.
Can you please tell me, why it's bad?
useplatformtick yes cause perfomance problem on 1803+, it decrease one-core perfomance so high (1/0.5ms), it is not good setting for all.
anyway, these 3 /set commands not provide disable HPET.
I will edit my main post and show how to just disable HPET, without dynamic tick etc.
- Slender
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: 25 Jan 2020, 17:55
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
Thank you.FPSMaster wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:49Youre right, these commands are not necessary for disabling HPET, but work in hand with HPET/Timers. They should improve CPU Usage and reduce CPU Processing effectively, and thats also why I saw great performance benefits. Of course it depends on the specifik system too.Slender wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:40where you find info about tscsyncpolicy?FPSMaster wrote: ↑27 Apr 2023, 06:35'bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy enhanced' will spread the timestamps generated by the timer more evenly across all CPU cores. The default value will rather choose one core/thread.
dynamictick is actually a stupid old power saving feature from 2012, which as it says, it dynamically adjusts the Timer Clock Frequency, instead of having it consistent and smooth.
Using the Command 'bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes' could potentially increase Temperatures by a couple degrees. Its not a good setting to use, if you care about power consumption and you are using a laptop, as I told the guy.
I allready explained the use of useplatformtick.
Can you please tell me, why it's bad?
useplatformtick yes cause perfomance problem on 1803+, it decrease one-core perfomance so high (1/0.5ms), it is not good setting for all.
anyway, these 3 /set commands not provide disable HPET.
I will edit my main post and show how to just disable HPET, without dynamic tick etc.
if you have more info about these bcdedit settings, provide it please.
this is the first time I see an explanation about tscsyncpolicy
anyway, im use RTC tick on z790 because TSC tick gives me 3 different timer res - 0.997 0.999 1000.
- Slender
- Posts: 1848
- Joined: 25 Jan 2020, 17:55
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
maybe you know about that?
- Attachments
-
- Screenshot_2023-04-28-04-08-36-04_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg (215.51 KiB) Viewed 16289 times
-
InputLagger
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 13 Sep 2021, 12:39
- Location: RUS
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
These timers, hpets can affect any monitoring programms too, so be careful in your measuresFPSMaster wrote: ↑24 Apr 2023, 12:57Thats Interesting, but I see changes in GPU Utilization and CPU Utilization and noticed heavy stutters in games. Turning it OFF fixed alot of Problems.Kyouki wrote: ↑24 Apr 2023, 12:42I used to believe the same things but I am hard conflicted.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e ... snake_oil/
Being that HPET off creates in consistent framerate or gives an improper measurement (or something from what I remember) and therefor metrics *seem* higher but aren't in reality.
I tried changing on and off with HPET/islc or timer 1ms > 0.5ms, but virtually feels the same for most games to me.
I really wonder if this applies to everyone, or if it's Setup Specifik.
-
Kyouki
- Posts: 197
- Joined: 20 Jul 2022, 04:52
Re: Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
Quote: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e ... snake_oil/InputLagger wrote: ↑28 Apr 2023, 09:24These timers, hpets can affect any monitoring programms too, so be careful in your measuresFPSMaster wrote: ↑24 Apr 2023, 12:57Thats Interesting, but I see changes in GPU Utilization and CPU Utilization and noticed heavy stutters in games. Turning it OFF fixed alot of Problems.Kyouki wrote: ↑24 Apr 2023, 12:42I used to believe the same things but I am hard conflicted.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e ... snake_oil/
Being that HPET off creates in consistent framerate or gives an improper measurement (or something from what I remember) and therefor metrics *seem* higher but aren't in reality.
I tried changing on and off with HPET/islc or timer 1ms > 0.5ms, but virtually feels the same for most games to me.
I really wonder if this applies to everyone, or if it's Setup Specifik.
You are exactly right. Disabling HPET distorts the system's understanding of time, which causes the system to miscount the frames in a second. If one second isn't one second, then FPS isn't FPS anymore. This data is invalid.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
OS: Fine tuned Windows 10 Pro, manual tuned.
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
OS: Fine tuned Windows 10 Pro, manual tuned.
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you
