Fix for input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Fix for input lag

Post by RealNC » 05 Apr 2024, 05:20

joolae wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 02:15
Definitely not a placebo for me, I've always used this tweak and found it better and more convenient than finding a color profile that will suit your preference for frame timings vs input lag in your monitors.
What?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

MIETAS

Post by MIETAS » 05 Apr 2024, 06:37

This is getting more and more insane

bleya99

Post by bleya99 » 07 Apr 2024, 04:55

Mugabi wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 13:55
I think with this and other tweeks plus breathing technique that i have developed. I have managed to get the smoothest gameplay i have ever gotten past 10 years that is consistent now for over 2-3 weeks. Before all fixes including this give me temporary relief of symptoms then all go to shits. Now its lagless and consistent. Iam hitting stupid randmo shots from end of the map consistently and ppl think im hacking lol. I hope i can get it to be similar to a fresh windows reinstall all the time, with luck faith i think we can ship this. Ill make a video soon showcasing everything.
What are some of the other tweaks that you have applied that are working?

This one (deleting EDID) works wonders for me, especially because I just put my PC to sleep, and never shutdown, so the effect is everlasting (didn't apply the PSTools method, just so I can do it manually so it gets ingrained into me for future Windows Installations).
The recoil in CS2 is so much better, and as you mention, I hit incredible shots. Also, what I would recommend to everyone here is to try a program called Raw Accel.

There's tons of guides, but 2 main things you should focus on are: X/Y Ratio (I set mine to 1.15;default 1) which further reduces the "starting" recoil, permanently, in all games. Also, the setting called rotation, as I hold my mouse naturally a bit towards my body and not in a straight line, so this makes the sensor appear as the mouse was completely straight. I personally use -2.75 (default 0) and do NOTE both of these settings are personal and even small change are making a difference, so definitely try them in increments.

Sari

Post by Sari » 19 May 2024, 16:12

n1zoo wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 15:14
ok so I tried brightness trick and everything ccfan said. it's much better to play, the mouse itself is not very sharp, but the game is much more enjoyable, the hitreg is better too, less desync. compared to the game before the "fix", things are definitely better, I wonder how long it will last.
what brightness trick?

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 24 May 2024, 04:57

Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B does not work on my computer. I use Windows 7 64 bit.

MontyTheAverage

Post by MontyTheAverage » 29 May 2024, 19:46

ccfan wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 11:06
Ok so disabling the monitor in device manager really does work for me but it does so very inconsistently however I messed around a lot and figured out a way to get it to consistently feel good (on my system at least ;) ).

Step 1- Disable monitor in device manager
11.PNG

Step 2- Restart PC

FROM HERE ON OUT THESE STEPS NEED TO BE REPEATED ON EVERY BOOT (FOR MY SYSTEM AT LEAST), steps 1 and 2 don't need to be repeated every boot as long as the driver remains disabled

Your monitor driver should still be disabled after the restart however windows re-initiates the driver's folder in the registry every boot. Even though the driver is disabled/unloaded windows re-initiates the monitor's EDID on boot which is what's causing the fix not remaining consistent for me.

1.PNG

This entire DISPLAY folder gets re-initiated on every boot even if you click uninstall in device manager instead of disable (uninstall in device manager deletes this entire display folder but it reappears on pc boot)

Step 3- Delete the EDID entry in the image above. It can get pretty annoying to navigate to this every boot so what you can do instead (this is what i prefer to do) is using Custom Resolution Utility to delete the monitor profile.

22.PNG

After deleting that profile, it should delete the EDID entry in regedit. If you try to reopen CRU after deleting the profile it should display an error which reads "No displays found in the registry"

Step 4 - Now we need to refresh the monitor driver using shift+ctrl+windows key+b OR toggling a setting in the nvidia control panel that leads to the display turning on and off again briefly (i just toggle reference mode colors but scaling and refresh rate should work fine, idk tho). DON'T USE RESTART64.EXE from CRU as this re-initiates the monitor driver and EDID.

So to recap, you need to boot into windows with the monitor driver disabled, delete the EDID via registry or CRU then refresh the gpu driver in such a way that the EDID remains deleted.

This method has been working consistently for me for about 2 weeks now so i figure i'd share it to see if you guys find similar results.
Best fix. Now why has this been effecting us even after so many PCs but most people don't have issues?

donktuman

Post by donktuman » 30 May 2024, 19:33

MontyTheAverage wrote:
29 May 2024, 19:46
ccfan wrote:
Ok so disabling the monitor in device manager really does work for me but it does so very inconsistently however I messed around a lot and figured out a way to get it to consistently feel good (on my system at least ;) ).

11.PNG

Step 2- Restart PC

FROM HERE ON OUT THESE STEPS NEED TO BE REPEATED ON EVERY BOOT (FOR MY SYSTEM AT LEAST), steps 1 and 2 don't need to be repeated every boot as long as the driver remains disabled

Your monitor driver should still be disabled after the restart however windows re-initiates the driver's folder in the registry every boot. Even though the driver is disabled/unloaded windows re-initiates the monitor's EDID on boot which is what's causing the fix not remaining consistent for me.

1.PNG

This entire DISPLAY folder gets re-initiated on every boot even if you click uninstall in device manager instead of disable (uninstall in device manager deletes this entire display folder but it reappears on pc boot)

Step 3- Delete the EDID entry in the image above. It can get pretty annoying to navigate to this every boot so what you can do instead (this is what i prefer to do) is using Custom Resolution Utility to delete the monitor profile.

22.PNG

After deleting that profile, it should delete the EDID entry in regedit. If you try to reopen CRU after deleting the profile it should display an error which reads "No displays found in the registry"

Step 4 - Now we need to refresh the monitor driver using shift+ctrl+windows key+b OR toggling a setting in the nvidia control panel that leads to the display turning on and off again briefly (i just toggle reference mode colors but scaling and refresh rate should work fine, idk tho). DON'T USE RESTART64.EXE from CRU as this re-initiates the monitor driver and EDID.

So to recap, you need to boot into windows with the monitor driver disabled, delete the EDID via registry or CRU then refresh the gpu driver in such a way that the EDID remains deleted.

This method has been working consistently for me for about 2 weeks now so i figure i'd share it to see if you guys find similar results.
Best fix. Now why has this been effecting us even after so many PCs but most people don't have issues?
Most people have this issue. The majority are just not aware of it. Its very rare not to have it tbh

dervu

Post by dervu » 31 May 2024, 07:22

donktuman wrote:
30 May 2024, 19:33
MontyTheAverage wrote:
29 May 2024, 19:46
ccfan wrote:

11.PNG

Step 2- Restart PC

1.PNG

22.PNG

Most people have this issue. The majority are just not aware of it. Its very rare not to have it tbh
I wouldn't make such claims without proper measurements on a good statistical sample.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

vhagar

Post by vhagar » 31 May 2024, 11:47

ccfan wrote:

11.PNG

Step 2- Restart PC

1.PNG

22.PNG

Just tested this on my box and noticed a difference in the hit reg for me. Thanks for sharing.

caponew0w

Post by caponew0w » 31 May 2024, 13:21

I am dealing with inconsistent input lag and quite big hitreg issues for like 3 years now. I have tried this and I was impressed at first, but as always, placebo is placebo, at least for me. If it works long term for you I can only be happy.

First game summary:

37-4 score after 3.5 minutes & 19 killstreak (bottom page)

Ending with 96-26 personal score and some nice side stats

Everything felt great, mouse felt really good, I was no longer overcompensating.. Bullets hit like they should, I had time to react, everything was normal. Recoil felt amazing, it was normal, not 2 times stronger and random than it should be.

Second game summary:

I took a break, had some other stuff to do, came back 2 hours later, hopped in a deathmatch...
49-47 score, this bots were destroying me, my recoil was 3 times stronger and random than normal before. Praying to kill someone with the first 10 bullets, less than half the previous time to react to peeks. The mouse felt consistent though, but not as good as before.

I did not shut down the computer in this time, between the games, it did not went to standby neither, tried launching CRU and got the error as expected and described previously in other posts, that No displays found in the registry. Went back to NVCP and changed monitor hz from 240 to 144 and back to 240 as I did before the first game (after deleting the EDID entries from CRU). Went back to a third game. 11-11 score, quited. I would really love one day to be able to play some normal games after finishing work.. Just to relax a bit.. In the past 3 years I lost my self confidence.

TLDR: take with a grain of salt, see results on very long terms if you have same issues, as I am reading here for some of you guys is working for a longer time than for me, hope it stays like that.

I would like to know what GPUs do you guys have, I only had nvidia for the last couple of years (1060 -> 2080ti -> 3060ti), I was reading on a local facebook pc parts group post that someone was saying that he has issues with multiple nvidia models and that he tried some AMD gpu and was working 2 times better for him. I know, I know, amd has issues too, I was just looking for some stats. Never tried an AMD gpu..

Cheers.