Network buffering, inconsistent netcode, Valorant

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
dannyoceanic

Re: Network buffering, inconsistent netcode, Valorant

Post by dannyoceanic » 13 Aug 2023, 16:48

KingAzar wrote:
13 Aug 2023, 00:11
I let these two videos speaking for itself

Peeking issue: https://streamable.com/f0on7q
Basically, here the guy holding is seeing the other player in movement at equal distance first

Holding issue: https://streamable.com/dki5yf
Have to say the second video is in favor of the chamber, it always amazes me how inconsistent the game is

Would you mind sharing your graphic, nvidia settings and such for the game? Or are you currently not playing it?

I have the feeling that, a lot of the times I just "lag" 1-2 seconds behind the server

dermodemon

Post by dermodemon » 16 Aug 2023, 15:38

Hellor everyone. Found a video about desync issue and how to fix it.
Will try in a few days.
Who can test it? https://youtu.be/9esauzfuDiQ?t=428
Is it real?

13n47

Post by 13n47 » 17 Aug 2023, 02:33

dermodemon wrote:
16 Aug 2023, 15:38
Will try in a few days.
Is it real?
Tried all of these, nothing but placebos. Chief is right when saying electricity problems are rare.

I see people in this forum trying so hard to fix the issue without luck that they convince themselves it has to be electricity or EMI. 99% of cases it is not. Atleast on Valorant, it's just the badly coded lag compensation that causes these issues.

Just try manipulating your ping in some matches. It's not always guaranteed to work, but sometimes you can definitely get a better gameplay experience by increasing your ping. This fools the lag compensation algo, giving you easier to track models and better hit reg. There are probably a million factors that determine the amount of lag compensation applied by the server. I have noticed that with 37ms to London servers I have really bad games most of the time. Just increasing the latency by a few ms to get into the 40ms-60ms range, I have much more consistent games.

fa1kk

Post by fa1kk » 17 Aug 2023, 12:53

13n47 wrote:
17 Aug 2023, 02:33
dermodemon wrote:
Will try in a few days.
Is it real?
Tried all of these, nothing but placebos. Chief is right when saying electricity problems are rare.

I see people in this forum trying so hard to fix the issue without luck that they convince themselves it has to be electricity or EMI. 99% of cases it is not. Atleast on Valorant, it's just the badly coded lag compensation that causes these issues.

Just try manipulating your ping in some matches. It's not always guaranteed to work, but sometimes you can definitely get a better gameplay experience by increasing your ping. This fools the lag compensation algo, giving you easier to track models and better hit reg. There are probably a million factors that determine the amount of lag compensation applied by the server. I have noticed that with 37ms to London servers I have really bad games most of the time. Just increasing the latency by a few ms to get into the 40ms-60ms range, I have much more consistent games.
Is that mean, that by increasing the latency by a few ms to get into the higher ping range, you will have much more consistent games?
And also what apps you are using to increase the latency?
And what does it look like? For example, you start a game, you play pistol round, you get the realization that the server is bad and you load the app to add the ping, while playing the game, or you are doing that before you start one?

13n47

Post by 13n47 » 18 Aug 2023, 01:52

fa1kk wrote:
17 Aug 2023, 12:53
13n47 wrote:
17 Aug 2023, 02:33
dermodemon wrote:
Will try in a few days.
Is it real?

Is that mean, that by increasing the latency by a few ms to get into the higher ping range, you will have much more consistent games?
And also what apps you are using to increase the latency?
And what does it look like? For example, you start a game, you play pistol round, you get the realization that the server is bad and you load the app to add the ping, while playing the game, or you are doing that before you start one?
Clumsy is a free tool, but I have noticed some issues with it, is that it adds a bit of jitter and it adds 10ms minimum to your current ping. SoftPerfect Connection Emulator is better, but it costs(unless yer a pirate). You could also use VPN with different servers to change ping, but it's much harder.

I used to play for a round and if I felt the gameplay was off, I would gradually add latency each round. Right now, I automatically spoof my ping to be over 40ms because as I said before 37ms feels really bad for some reason. If it still feels off, I'll try 50ms the next round, 60ms the round after that. Very rarely I go over 70ms, because at that point hit reg will start to suffer anyways.

I haven't tested 20ms-30ms range, but 30ms-40ms ping range feels so off in this game. Around 40ms-60ms seems to be the sweet spot for most matches. With 15ms it feels either amazing or getting prefired every time you peek.

But I will say this with certainty: If you're playing Valorant with 30ms-40ms ping, you're getting scammed more often. Try to go over 40ms. The game will still feel like garbage in some matches, but you're going to have a better experience more often than before.

This is why in EU servers people have complained about turks with high ping since the release of the game. They dominate in these lobbies because the lag compensation is most likely favoring their ping instead(in some games this might not be the case and they will then be the only ones having a worse game). It's not just because of the peekers advantage, it's also because for them it will be easier to track your movement, they will have more time to react and hit registry will be more spot on.

That's the reason why in this video the lower ping guy sees the higher ping guy late, but when roles are switched the high ping player sees the low ping player at the correct time. The pings are the same, but you can clearly see how one player can react faster than the other one.

It doesn't take that much to impact the outcome of gunfights. In this article it's said that "For evenly matched players, a delta of 10ms of peekers advantage made the difference between a 90% winrate for the player holding an angle with an Operator and a 90% winrate for their opponent peeking with a rifle." You can see how this issue can cause huge inconsistency in this game.

Post by 310094303 » 25 Sep 2023, 14:06

n1zoo wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:38
Something is wrong with valorant in general. In ranked matches, the mouse feels like you're swiping through sandpaper. Mouse feels a little better in unranked matches. This game is getting unplayable.

My English is not good at using a translator. I registered an account to agree with you. I agree with you 100%. I feel the same way in csgo.