Surprising Observation! HPET On vs. Off
Posted: 24 Apr 2023, 12:34
Recently I dived deep into the whole Windows Tweaker scene. I was going trough alot of Forums with People claiming that there are Tweaks that can have a big impact on the performance.
Disabling HPET is probably the most popular Tweak. Everyone speaks about it, when it comes to tweaking your system. And there are actually alot of Benchmarks that show the Benefits of disabling HPET.
It boosts FPS across the board. 0.1% lows, 1% lows, Average FPS and Max FPS.
If you don't know what HPET does, In simple terms HPET is a hardware timer, that provides a more accurate and reliable timing mechanism than other system timers. It is useful for time-sensitive operations, such as multimedia and gaming.
So, today I tested HPET OFF vs ON. Disabling HPET gave me around 10%-20% FPS Boost. Input also felt better, because I got far less Stutters and the Game was smoother.
Enabling HPET seemed to have a negative impact on my CPU Utilization, while my GPU Utilization got lower, which is bad.
So, HPET On seems to put too much pressure on my CPU, which causes to produce a slight CPU Bottleneck, even tho I have a R5 2600x and GTX1070. My Setup is balanced and my CPU should be even capable of supporting a ~RTX3060...
How to Disable HPET?
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator
2. Paste in this Command: bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
(if you get an error, thats completely normal)
3. Exit out of Command Prompt
4. Go into Device Manager and Disable 'High Precision Event Timer'
5. Restart your PC
(Also I tested HPET On vs Off multiple Times and always got the same Results!)
Benchmarks:
(In Picture 2, CapFrameX reported wrong CPU Clock Speeds. It shows the CPU is running on 4ghz, but it was on 3,9ghz in all Tests. Just for clarification!)
The difference is massive!
I would like to know if anyone else tested this and got similar results. What are you guys thaughts?
Disabling HPET is probably the most popular Tweak. Everyone speaks about it, when it comes to tweaking your system. And there are actually alot of Benchmarks that show the Benefits of disabling HPET.
It boosts FPS across the board. 0.1% lows, 1% lows, Average FPS and Max FPS.
If you don't know what HPET does, In simple terms HPET is a hardware timer, that provides a more accurate and reliable timing mechanism than other system timers. It is useful for time-sensitive operations, such as multimedia and gaming.
So, today I tested HPET OFF vs ON. Disabling HPET gave me around 10%-20% FPS Boost. Input also felt better, because I got far less Stutters and the Game was smoother.
Enabling HPET seemed to have a negative impact on my CPU Utilization, while my GPU Utilization got lower, which is bad.
So, HPET On seems to put too much pressure on my CPU, which causes to produce a slight CPU Bottleneck, even tho I have a R5 2600x and GTX1070. My Setup is balanced and my CPU should be even capable of supporting a ~RTX3060...
How to Disable HPET?
1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator
2. Paste in this Command: bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
(if you get an error, thats completely normal)
3. Exit out of Command Prompt
4. Go into Device Manager and Disable 'High Precision Event Timer'
5. Restart your PC
(Also I tested HPET On vs Off multiple Times and always got the same Results!)
Benchmarks:
(In Picture 2, CapFrameX reported wrong CPU Clock Speeds. It shows the CPU is running on 4ghz, but it was on 3,9ghz in all Tests. Just for clarification!)
The difference is massive!
I would like to know if anyone else tested this and got similar results. What are you guys thaughts?



