BenQ XL2430T instant mode

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Mayweather

BenQ XL2430T instant mode

Post by Mayweather » 24 Feb 2016, 07:51

Hi! i recently purchased a XL2430T mainly for CSGO 120/144hz, so im pretty new to the technology thats in front of me so forgive me if my question seems stupid or perhaps obvious. The firmware of the monitor is V3, my monitor was manufactured in December 2014, i doubt this matters to much but just incase.

The problem im having and im not entirely sure it is a problem is that, when at 144hz on the desktop or in a game with instant mode ON, everything is smooth and as you would expect it to be, however if i turn instant mode off(which i did as apparently it was better to have it off for videos) the cursor and anything in game, ufo testing etc becomes extremely choppy almost as if its running sub 60hz, putting instant mode back ON fixes this, the kicker is it only happens on certain profiles(standard fps1 RTS etc). Running on FPS2 instant mode on or off feels smooth and also dropping the Hz to 120 in any profile will resolve it, so i could run standard at 120hz and instant mode OFF and it would run as normal.

It seems strange in how it happens only to certain profiles, only at 144hz in these named profiles, and it may even be completely normal, as in something happening beyond my knowledge but it makes me feel as if something isn't working quite right and from what research ive done you guys seem the most knowledgeable and may be able to help me out if possible, thanks in advance for any input :).

Falkentyne

Re: BenQ XL2430T instant mode

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Feb 2016, 11:18

Keep instant mode on. Zero real world benefit to having it off and it stops VT tweaks from working. There may be very slight color shade or black response or dithering improvements from disabling instant mode. Input lag is increased noticeably also. Don't bother with it unless you're doing some sort of color accurate work or image editing.

Mayweather

Post by Mayweather » 24 Feb 2016, 11:55

ok i will do, at least it all works nicely with it on, thank you. Out of curiosity would the changes noted with it off be something wrong with the monitor or just normal operation? i feel like ive stepped foot into all the technical stuff now and im interested in how it all works, as previously i just plugged and played without a thought to what was behind the scenes.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Feb 2016, 15:01

Who knows?
the monitors were designed for instant mode being on, which is why it defaults to on.
Also note that 144hz operation is technically an overclock, as it's not a standard refresh rate, which is why 144hz (anything above 129 hz) uses "LCD Reduced" timings (e.g. VT 1098) and won't accept VT tweaks without going out of range.

Also note that these same AUO panels originally ran only at 120hz. E.g. Benq XL2420T. Maybe by disabling instant mode, a bug might be generated at 144hz with some old code that may have been limited to 120hz. Disabling instant mode when using blur reduction with a Vertical Total VT tweak, acts as if there is no VT tweak at all (meaning: no reduction in strobe crosstalk at all, and no "horizontal faint scanlines" effect you usually get when using a VT tweak, but the strobe pulse widths still revert to 0.167ms (60hz) timings anyway, which limit the maximum strobe phase (Area setting in the OSD).

Mayweather

Post by Mayweather » 24 Feb 2016, 17:18

interesting! i thought it could be something along those lines also when i first noticed it, which led to me checking it in 120hz and sure enough it had fixed the problem. Like i said i feel like ive opened a can of worms and now im thinking in depth about all the different aspects
i had no idea even existed before, its going to take a while to get my head around it all