Page 1 of 1

Dell S2716DG Lining Effect From Motion

Posted: 08 Jul 2016, 19:54
by Silver Rocinante
Hello Blur Busters forum!

Recently got a new gaming pc with a Dell S2716DG monitor (1440p, 144hz, G-Sync). It only took a short period of time before I started noticing a strange lining effect that sometimes appears in areas right when quick color change happens (moving objects, animations, etc.) To be honest it is very subtle but still annoying enough that I didn't want to deal with it after spending so much money on the monitor. I decided to buy another one while processing my refund return on the first, only to find out it also gets the same effect. I have both monitors connected through two different DisplayPort cables having the issue at the same time. I have also tried the on-board graphics to make sure it wasn't my video card, and tested both a lower refresh rate and lower resolution setting.

Here is the best attempt I got at recording the effect on a cell phone. Not the most high-def example and a bad medium to present it through but what you see in the white circle/arrow is very similar to what I get when gaming. http://webmshare.com/6wV9E

Does anyone know what I'm dealing with here? Is this monitor model just bad for my sensitive eyes?

OS: Windows 10
MB: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6
CPU: i5 6600k

Re: Dell S2716DG Lining Effect From Motion

Posted: 08 Jul 2016, 20:20
by Sparky
Here's a frame from that video you posted:
Image
Are you talking about there being multiple images on screen simultaneously, or that you can see the pixel/subpixel arrangement?

Re: Dell S2716DG Lining Effect From Motion

Posted: 08 Jul 2016, 20:29
by Silver Rocinante
The pixel/subpixel arrangement. When I came across this case, as it's normally harder to reproduce, I also did this scrolling test on an older monitor and noticed much less severity (even if the Dell S2716dg is set to 1080p/60hz).

Re: Dell S2716DG Lining Effect From Motion

Posted: 08 Jul 2016, 20:40
by Sparky
ULMB might have an impact on that, as it would give some time for the subpixels to all transition before pulsing the backlight.

Re: Dell S2716DG Lining Effect From Motion

Posted: 08 Jul 2016, 21:48
by Silver Rocinante
Just did a little research on it since I wasn't very familiar with the feature. Enabled ULMB and messed with the settings, didn't seem to help and has also introduced a little ghosting. Needing to disable g-sync would have been a bummer anyway. Btw thanks for the responses.

Re: Dell S2716DG Lining Effect From Motion

Posted: 09 Jul 2016, 12:59
by Silver Rocinante
I was told this issue is called pixel inversion, was then able to do a bit of research on it. Not a very uncommon issue for 1440p monitors it seems.

Re: Dell S2716DG Lining Effect From Motion

Posted: 09 Jul 2016, 16:41
by Sparky
there are some inversion tests on testufo: http://www.testufo.com/#test=inversion