Why do Pro gamers not use G-Sync?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Re: Why do Pro gamers not use G-Sync?

Post by jorimt » 13 Aug 2020, 14:54

speancer wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 14:15
You can't deny that no sync is superior overall, with the least possible lag that can be achieved. There is a small difference between G-SYNC and no sync with no fps limit.
I don't think I denied that in any of my previous posts here. I was only referring to G-SYNC vs. no sync with framerates inside the refresh rate.

No sync is indeed "superior" to G-SYNC in raw input lag with framerates well above the refresh rate (even if not by very much at 240Hz+, and my graphs are generous to no sync due to counting first reaction instead of middle screen, where the differences would be more equalized), but the gap between it and G-SYNC closes as the max refresh rate increases due to the ever shrinking duration of individual scanout cycles.

I've mentioned this many times before, but once we hit 1000Hz, there will virtually be no difference between G-SYNC and no sync, at which point you really won't need any syncing method to prevent visible tearing artifacts.

G-SYNC is ultimately a tearing-prevention stopgap due to currently achievable framerate/refresh rate ratios, much like strobing is to motion clarity. Both will ultimately be circumvented and replace by ultra high refresh rates + framerates (be it amplifications techniques and/or native performance) in the future.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 Pro MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3200MHz

speancer

Post by speancer » 13 Aug 2020, 22:06

jorimt wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 14:54
speancer wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 14:15
You can't deny that no sync is superior overall, with the least possible lag that can be achieved. There is a small difference between G-SYNC and no sync with no fps limit.
I don't think I denied that in any of my previous posts here. I was only referring to G-SYNC vs. no sync with framerates inside the refresh rate.
I've never said you denied that, I just meant it's rather undeniable in general :P
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 19:28
Personally, I have no love for VSYNC OFF stutter-wise but it reigns supreme in input lag. Until we have 1000Hz gaming monitors, VSYNC OFF probably is still going to continue to reign supreme in PC-gaming eSports.
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM (current main)ASUS VG279QMHP Omen X 25fBenQ Zowie XL2546 MSI MAG251RXAcer Predator XB273 XAcer Predator XB271HU
Displays to test: BenQ Zowie XL2546K • ASUS PG259QN

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Aug 2020, 22:24

speancer wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 22:06
I've never said you denied that, I just meant it's rather undeniable in general :P
Gotcha, and yup, I said as much in my original article over three years ago...

"G-SYNC 101: G-SYNC vs. V-SYNC OFF":
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ettings/9/
So, for competitive players, V-SYNC OFF still reigns supreme in the input lag realm, especially if sustained framerates can exceed the refresh rate by 5x or more.

Display: Acer Predator XB271HU OS: Windows 10 Pro MB: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero CPU: i7-8700k GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ @3200MHz

Faskill

Post by Faskill » 20 Aug 2020, 07:22

Is there any use in using GSync when playing at fps significantly below the monitor frequency?
For example when playing at 150fps on a 240Hz monitor. This is only my first hand impressions but I feel like my monitor is more reactive while it’s not trying to match its frequency to my lower fps count (GSync Off)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 20 Aug 2020, 08:33

Faskill wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 07:22
Is there any use in using GSync when playing at fps significantly below the monitor frequency?
For example when playing at 150fps on a 240Hz monitor.
That's G-SYNC primary intended use. It's what it was originally created for.
Faskill wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 07:22
This is only my first hand impressions but I feel like my monitor is more reactive while it’s not trying to match its frequency to my lower fps count (GSync Off)
Your only "reactive" advantage over G-SYNC with G-SYNC off in that range is the visible tearing; when it tears, there's your one and only "advantage." Otherwise, there's no difference between the two performance/input lag-wise during normal operation.