Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

OCD question gsync monitor with amd card

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.

OCD question gsync monitor with amd card

Postby reqq » 08 May 2018, 09:51

Hi if i use a gsync monitor with an amd card will that bypass the gsync module or will the signal go through it? Just wondering if it possible for nvidia to code a disadvantage monitor behavior if the module detects an amd card :) Just bought a gsync monitor but will use it for the time being with my amd card.

lol

thanks.
reqq

Re: OCD question gsync monitor with amd card

Postby RealNC » 08 May 2018, 09:56

It will use the g-sync module, since it's not just there for g-sync, but it replaces the monitor scaler completely. There are no ill effects.

Other benefits of the g-sync module still apply, regardless of the GPU you use (like NVidia's very good overdrive implementation.) Not sure if ULMB (motion blur reduction) will still work on AMD though.
Twitter: @realnc

The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 08 May 2018, 17:44

ULMB does not work with AMD.

It needs to detect an NVIDIA card to unlock GSYNC and ULMB features. Without it, it just behaves as an ordinary fixed-Hz 240Hz monitor.

The good overdrive will still apply but you won't derive variable refresh rate or blur reduction benefits.

There is no lag disadvantage -- fixed-Hz does not get increased lag compared to other fixed-Hz monitors and you will often get lower lag than from more generic 240Hz monitors. A bonus is you won't get frameskipping like those found in some buggy 240Hz monitors (e.g. the early AOC 240Hz non-GSYNC monitor or the early ACER 240Hz non-GSYNC monitor). So the NVIDIA testing does debug your monitor well, even if you don't gain the GSYNC/ULMB feature. To be fair to AMD, I can say AMD FreeSync2 testing does a good job too. So you've already gained some maturity advantages over some early 240Hz monitors from almost two years ago.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby reqq » 09 May 2018, 08:52

thanks
reqq

Return to G-SYNC