How do I get 165hz to work on a 240hz monitor?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
milojr21

How do I get 165hz to work on a 240hz monitor?

Post by milojr21 » 23 Jul 2018, 22:55

Hello everyone, I have a PG258Q and I'm trying to get 165hz to work. I have tried creating the custom resolution in nvidia control panel and 165 doesn't work no matter what option I set it to. I have also tried using the program cru and using the reduced lcd setting, I create the resolution and I get a display out of sync when I reboot. Is there special timing parameters needed or this just not possible?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: How do I get 165hz to work on a 240hz monitor?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2018, 01:58

Unfortunately, some monitors do not like custom refresh rates.

One could try to create 165Hz via a 240Hz dotclock (large blanking interval) by locking the dotclock while increasing vertical total to force the refresh rate to go down from 240Hz.

However, there is no guarantee this will make 165Hz work -- but this was one of the methods of making custom ULMB refresh rates successfully work. e.g. ULMB 155 Hz or ULMB 60Hz or ULMB 77Hz etc.

i.e. Use the same dotclock as a working mode -- when creating custom Hz. Basically transfer the monitor bandwidth into the VBI, incrementally lowering refresh rate by slowly increasing the blanking interval size, until the refresh rate matches "165" while still having the same dotclock ("Pixel Clock") of 240Hz.

Essentially...
...Some monitors are forgiving (displays almost anything thrown at it).
...Some monitors are super-picky (will not work no matter what)
...Some monitors require special constraints (e.g. supported dotclocks) to make a custom Hz work.

The 240Hz GSYNC monitors tends to meet the last constraint, so try my suggestion and see what happens!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How do I get 165hz to work on a 240hz monitor?

Post by RealNC » 26 Jul 2018, 02:07

May I ask why you want a 165Hz refresh? Since it's a g-sync monitor, there might be another way to achieve what you want, but it depends on how you intend to use that 165Hz refresh.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.