Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

LightBoost on Xbox One X or S?

The XBOX ONE Console supports 120Hz+, FreeSync, and 1440p. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE.

LightBoost on Xbox One X or S?

Postby aconsolepeasant » 12 Aug 2018, 00:15

Hey guys,

Now that Xbox offers 120Hz support for both the X and One S console, does anyone have any ideas if it's possible to utilize BFI on a LightBoost monitor that supports BFI in the frequency range of 100-120Hz such as the ASUS VG248QE? I know there is a third party hack to enable LightBoost in 2D mode for this particular monitor.

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. It seems currently only TV sets support BFI at 60Hz but being able to utilize BFI on a gaming monitor is most ideal.

Thanks
aconsolepeasant

Re: LightBoost on Xbox One X or S?

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 12 Aug 2018, 00:45

LightBoost is the older one, there are newer brand names of blur reduction, with a very few that also work with 60Hz (e.g. XL2411P) instead of 120Hz. See http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction

120Hz blur reduction works best with 120fps content.

That is best and most ideal.

But a lot of console games only run at 60fps.

And 60fps@120Hz strobed has double images similiar to 30fps@60Hz impulsed (CRT, plasma, etc)

So 60Hz blur reduction fixes that. But it flickers a lot.

So there is some element of pick-your-poison.

Maximizing flexibility with a monitor that supports 60Hz and 120Hz blur reduction can help, if fixing motion blur is a bigger prioriry for you than FreeSyncnror you. For that, very few monitors fit the bill - and the ones on the market supporting single-strobe is the XL2730 and the XL2411P
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby aconsolepeasant » 13 Aug 2018, 00:23

Thanks for the clarification! Yes, the most ideal monitor for me is one that supports blur reduction at 60Hz. As the games I play all currently run at 60fps.

So, if I decided on the BenQ XL2411P to utilize 60fps blur reduction, would I need to "hack" it and if so, would the ULMB hack work with a console such as the PS4 or Xbox One S or X?
aconsolepeasant

Postby RealNC » 13 Aug 2018, 11:00

ULMB only works on PC (it's tied to the g-sync module.)

If a monitor supports its own, non-ULMB and non-lightboost blur reduction mode, it can be enabled in the monitor's OSD. It's not a hack or anything. You just press a button and it gets enabled. If the XL2411P can do that, then yes, it will work on consoles too.
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow

The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby aconsolepeasant » 13 Aug 2018, 14:47

Thanks for the information! Based on the Chief and others, it seems the XL2430 or XL2411P support 60Hz strobing through the OSD.

After more recently diving into blur reduction technologies, I was amazed when I discovered the technologies that existed in TVs for reducing blur at 60Hz did NOT commonly exist in gaming monitors! (ie BFI or motion interpolation) :shock:

I'm willing to purchase the XL2430 or XL2411P to test these features. If anyone has any advice or experience with 60Hz strobing on a console it would appreciated. 8-)

I'm tired of 60Hz motion blur and I've seen what BFI can do for blur reduction but only from a TV perspective. I hope to see it from a monitors perspective and report back..
aconsolepeasant

Postby RealNC » 13 Aug 2018, 15:13

aconsolepeasant wrote:I'm tired of 60Hz motion blur and I've seen what BFI can do for blur reduction but only from a TV perspective. I hope to see it from a monitors perspective and report back..

TVs do not do 60Hz blur reduction. They upconvert to 120Hz and do blur reduction at that refresh rate. Computer monitors don't do that because the process introduces input lag (which is not important at all when watching video, but very important when using the screen for interactive tasks.)
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow

The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby aconsolepeasant » 13 Aug 2018, 23:02

I could definitely be wrong as I'm still learning about Hz and FPS and flickering, etc. I believe some TVs do support 60Hz strobing.

Look at this review by Rtings.com on the Samsung NU8000 HDTV.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

Optional BFI
: Yes
Min Flicker for 60 fps
: 60 Hz
60 Hz for 60 fps
: Yes
120 Hz for 120 fps
: No
Min Flicker for 60 fps in Game Mode
: 60 Hz
The Samsung NU8000 has an optional 60Hz flicker mode, activated by enabling 'LED Clear Motion' in the 'Auto Motion Plus' menu. This 60Hz flicker greatly clears up motion during 60fps content, but the flicker can be bothersome to some people. This flicker can also be activated in Game mode, by using the 'Game Motion Plus' menu, which is a first for Samsung TVs.

The 49" size has a 60Hz panel and according to Rtings.com still has a functional BFI (LED Clear motion). I'm not sure if it's what I'm thinking or something different.
aconsolepeasant

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 14 Aug 2018, 20:05

RealNC wrote:
aconsolepeasant wrote:I'm tired of 60Hz motion blur and I've seen what BFI can do for blur reduction but only from a TV perspective. I hope to see it from a monitors perspective and report back..

TVs do not do 60Hz blur reduction. They upconvert to 120Hz and do blur reduction at that refresh rate. Computer monitors don't do that because the process introduces input lag (which is not important at all when watching video, but very important when using the screen for interactive tasks.)

Actually *taps shoulder*

There are exceptions.

Several TVs have a 60Hz strobe flicker mode to eliminate motion blur. Even RTINGS tells you which TVs give you a 60Hz "LightBoost" style mode.

I, personally, even wrote about this as early as year 2013 via Sony Motionflow Impulse

It seems less than 5% of TVs seem to have this, but such TVs do exist.

RTINGS is the only website that tells you which TVs has single-strobe 60Hz blur reduction mode. Yes it flickers like a mofo, but it works, it becomes CRT-clear for 60fps console games. So, yes, trust RTINGS for this tidbit of information.

aconsolepeasant wrote:I could definitely be wrong as I'm still learning about Hz and FPS and flickering, etc. I believe some TVs do support 60Hz strobing.

No, you are 100% correct. RTINGS is correct.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
To support Blur Busters: Official List of Best Gaming Monitors | G-SYNC | FreeSync | Ultrawide
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby aconsolepeasant » 14 Aug 2018, 21:52

Thanks for clarifying that.. I know 60Hz isn't common due to its potential effects on the user but it's nice to see manufactures at least adding it as an option.

To finalize this post, is there a monitor I can grab off the shelf and connect it to my PS4 or Xbox One X and use 60Hz strobing?

You had mentioned in this post the XL2411P, Falkentyne also noted, "The only panels you want are the XL2411, XL2411Z, XL2420/Z (discontinued), XL2430/XL2430T or XL2720/XL2720Z, because you have the option to turn on "Single Strobe' in the service menu for 60Hz blur reduction."

I would be open to other brands if it's a possible alternative.

Thanks so much for all the help
aconsolepeasant

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 15 Aug 2018, 13:48

From the computer monitor market, that's correct.

That said, there are additional options in the HDTV market.
Which is much harder to research, at least until RTINGS came along to specifically test the 60Hz single-strobe feature and add that checkbox to their reviews -- that is what we are now thankful for, so people know which HDTVs support single-strobe 60Hz blur reduction.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Return to XBOX ONE Console