Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby pox02 » 15 Mar 2019, 12:55

MatrixQW wrote:With Tracefree 60 I can see it in desktop, moving cursor (gets a blue shadow) and dragging a window (gets a shadow on the window and text). The effect is small but it's there. I suppose it should have none then?
I tried with Apex Legends and Quake Champions but couldn't really see it for most of the time.
In games it's harder to notice because it gets disguised with other colors/textures constantly changing.

Doesn't freesync usually fixes these things? Did you try it?

With Tracefree 100 the overshoot is big, so this kind of defeats the purpose of the 2,3ms input lag and must use Tracefree 60 with 3,6ms, wich is the same as XG240R or XG2402.
I actually played a bit of QuakeWorld with Tracefree 100 but my eyes seem to be under strain with so much overshoot.

What is left is 165hz and ELMB that can be used together and this is a great addition.
I need to try this and freesync.

I agree with what you said about this monitor, but if someone wants a 24,5'' 1920x1080 165hz+ELMB FreeSync 3,6ms input lag with no panel issues (backlight bleed, clouding) and is not bothered or cannot see the small overshoot with Tracefree 60, this is still a valid/great option.
Since i bought it for a great price, what i'm probably going to do is keep it until XG2402 is at a reasonable price (i can then compare both monitors) and then sell it by the same 271€ since it will not go down from 350€ for a long time.


i take panel issues everyday and not take the awful overdrive asus give and using strobing is bad
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu
pox02
 
Posts: 80
Joined: 28 Sep 2018, 06:04

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby Notty_PT » 15 Mar 2019, 14:34

MatrixQW wrote:With Tracefree 60 I can see it in desktop, moving cursor (gets a blue shadow) and dragging a window (gets a shadow on the window and text). The effect is small but it's there. I suppose it should have none then?
I tried with Apex Legends and Quake Champions but couldn't really see it for most of the time.
In games it's harder to notice because it gets disguised with other colors/textures constantly changing.

Doesn't freesync usually fixes these things? Did you try it?

With Tracefree 100 the overshoot is big, so this kind of defeats the purpose of the 2,3ms input lag and must use Tracefree 60 with 3,6ms, wich is the same as XG240R or XG2402.
I actually played a bit of QuakeWorld with Tracefree 100 but my eyes seem to be under strain with so much overshoot.

What is left is 165hz and ELMB that can be used together and this is a great addition.
I need to try this and freesync.

I agree with what you said about this monitor, but if someone wants a 24,5'' 1920x1080 165hz+ELMB FreeSync 3,6ms input lag with no panel issues (backlight bleed, clouding) and is not bothered or cannot see the small overshoot with Tracefree 60, this is still a valid/great option.
Since i bought it for a great price, what i'm probably going to do is keep it until XG2402 is at a reasonable price (i can then compare both monitors) and then sell it by the same 271€ since it will not go down from 350€ for a long time.


They key element here is that we are all different! You clearly stated that in games you can´t notice the trace free 60 overshoot, so that is perfect for you! With that issue out of the equation the monitor is great. On the other hand I couldn´t deal with it, but I´m used to an extremely good scenario with the XG2402. I got perfect overdrive habits, so the Asus is a no go to me. What matters is that you had fun while playing on TF 60 and nothing bothered you! In that case you made a great buy because the monitor is amazing in everything else.
Notty_PT
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby qwertyuiop » 15 Mar 2019, 23:18

I have just bought this monitor yesterday so i registered to share.

I have 50" TV Sony KDL-50-829B with strobe option, it flickers ( 60Hz ) and it has a faint single trail on UFO test but hey it's VA and a TV not gaming monitor, so when i ordered a fast TN in 2019 i expected it to be better in motion clarity than 2014 VA. I did not expect good colors or deep black but one thing the TN is supposed to excel is speed. Therefore i have no idea how they managed to make strobed 1ms TN 165Hz gaming monitor from 2019 have worse moving picture than strobed 2014 60Hz VA. I tried for the past 8 hours various refresh rates, vertical totals and dynamic range adjustments from this forum and absolutely nothing fixes the strobe crosstalk it has.
Out of the box, 165Hz was really "wow" but i noticed UFO was smeared by ghosting. But hey so is my TV and turning on impulse backlight takes all the blur away like a magic wand, oh how great then strobe on a 1ms TN has to be! And finally no flickering thanks to 165Hz refresh rate! I turned it on and i saw 2 UFOs, there are no options related to impulse backlight so i tried adjusting overdrive, low settings are not enough, high like 80 and 100 introduce overdrive artefacts as bad as visible as the strobe crosstalk they eliminate.
OK, round two, entered NVCP started tweaking VT, @165Hz it went up to 1588VT, it did not solve the crosstalk problem.
OK, lets cut the dynamic range, in NVCP i have lowered the brightnes and contrast to 40/30, then 30/20 it does help but still did not solve the crosstalk problem.
OK maybe 165Hz is a bit too much, lets try the 144Hz. Two UFO's. 144Hz and above tweaks? Still visible crosstalk, still worse than my 2014 TV that wasn't advertised as gaming monitor.
120Hz??? Please??? NOPE still two UFOs. The most annoying thing is that there is not only the ghost behind a UFO like on my TV but also a front part of UFO is overlapping with background color. Like on this picture form crosstalk guide:
https://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/ ... lk-bad.png
Whole bottom half of the screen is like that and no VT could push it away. I tried up to 1588 @ 165Hz, up to 2032VT @ 144 Hz, up to 2092 @ 120Hz.

Since i think i will give up on this one what should i buy? What model will strobe above 120Hz without crosstalk/overdrive artifacts? Are the Benq 2540 or 46 alright at 144 or 160Hz?
qwertyuiop
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Mar 2019, 19:05

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby karavanasam » 16 Mar 2019, 15:01

I registered here to write this message here.I am also owner of this monitor.Please try my settings then respond.I am very curious what will you think about it?Since this is a monitor made for AMD cards,it can have problem with a nvidia card.So I tried different settings and expected surprise results.
I have nvidia card and use this monitor by displayport.
Nvidia settings:
1920x1080 165 hz
Color format:Rgb Limited (No washed out colors here on my monitor and it somehow gives better performance/color compared to RGBFull)
I am using Gpu scaling full screen.
VSync:Always On
Monitor settings:
Fsync on
Tracefree:100
Racing Mode
ELMB:OFF
These settings give me very good performance when I play FPS games.
karavanasam
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 14:41

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby Notty_PT » 16 Mar 2019, 15:50

qwertyuiop wrote:I have just bought this monitor yesterday so i registered to share.

I have 50" TV Sony KDL-50-829B with strobe option, it flickers ( 60Hz ) and it has a faint single trail on UFO test but hey it's VA and a TV not gaming monitor, so when i ordered a fast TN in 2019 i expected it to be better in motion clarity than 2014 VA. I did not expect good colors or deep black but one thing the TN is supposed to excel is speed. Therefore i have no idea how they managed to make strobed 1ms TN 165Hz gaming monitor from 2019 have worse moving picture than strobed 2014 60Hz VA. I tried for the past 8 hours various refresh rates, vertical totals and dynamic range adjustments from this forum and absolutely nothing fixes the strobe crosstalk it has.
Out of the box, 165Hz was really "wow" but i noticed UFO was smeared by ghosting. But hey so is my TV and turning on impulse backlight takes all the blur away like a magic wand, oh how great then strobe on a 1ms TN has to be! And finally no flickering thanks to 165Hz refresh rate! I turned it on and i saw 2 UFOs, there are no options related to impulse backlight so i tried adjusting overdrive, low settings are not enough, high like 80 and 100 introduce overdrive artefacts as bad as visible as the strobe crosstalk they eliminate.
OK, round two, entered NVCP started tweaking VT, @165Hz it went up to 1588VT, it did not solve the crosstalk problem.
OK, lets cut the dynamic range, in NVCP i have lowered the brightnes and contrast to 40/30, then 30/20 it does help but still did not solve the crosstalk problem.
OK maybe 165Hz is a bit too much, lets try the 144Hz. Two UFO's. 144Hz and above tweaks? Still visible crosstalk, still worse than my 2014 TV that wasn't advertised as gaming monitor.
120Hz??? Please??? NOPE still two UFOs. The most annoying thing is that there is not only the ghost behind a UFO like on my TV but also a front part of UFO is overlapping with background color. Like on this picture form crosstalk guide:
https://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/ ... lk-bad.png
Whole bottom half of the screen is like that and no VT could push it away. I tried up to 1588 @ 165Hz, up to 2032VT @ 144 Hz, up to 2092 @ 120Hz.

Since i think i will give up on this one what should i buy? What model will strobe above 120Hz without crosstalk/overdrive artifacts? Are the Benq 2540 or 46 alright at 144 or 160Hz?


Just another testimonial. Thanks for your input. Honestly I have no idea how Asus can get away with these crappy models they lately been releasing. I mean, they are usually the most expensive brand and their monitors overdrive simply suck. Is like they don´t even care about optimizing it. To me having only 2 options of dealing with IPS alike ghosting or crazy overshoot, is just plain awful.

I already stopped buying Asus motherboards for a long time due to their crappy VRMs and their false advertising with power phases; Now I can see I will have to do the same with their monitors and completly avoid this brand. What makes me mad is that prolly a lot of people will never bother about overshoot or Asus overdrive problems because they have never seen anything better, so there´s nothing to compare it with. People get a fancy expensive shiny Asus monitor thinking they are buying the best possible solution, and end up sticking with a faulty product where Asus made tons of money. This attitude alone is completly disgusting to me.

If you compare Asus recent monitors overdrive with the likes of ViewSonic or Dell, the difference is abysmal and easily noticeable even on windows/websites. Right now every asus monitor is a blur fest or an overshoot effects disaster!
Last edited by Notty_PT on 05 Jun 2019, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Notty_PT
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby qwertyuiop » 16 Mar 2019, 22:33

karavanasam wrote:I registered here to write this message here.I am also owner of this monitor.Please try my settings then respond.I am very curious what will you think about it?Since this is a monitor made for AMD cards,it can have problem with a nvidia card.So I tried different settings and expected surprise results.
I have nvidia card and use this monitor by displayport.
Nvidia settings:
1920x1080 165 hz
Color format:Rgb Limited (No washed out colors here on my monitor and it somehow gives better performance/color compared to RGBFull)
I am using Gpu scaling full screen.
VSync:Always On
Monitor settings:
Fsync on
Tracefree:100
Racing Mode
ELMB:OFF
These settings give me very good performance when I play FPS games.


How do you cope with tracefree:100 ? When i set 80 the blue/purple overshoot it introduced was worse (more visible cause of intense color) than the ghosting it reduced, i can't imagine 100 being acceptable. Also at ELMB: off the ghosting is visible and UFOs are less clear than my 60Hz VA panel on impulse backlight, i bought TN gaming monitor to have clearer motion not worse than what i already have on a TV panel.

Notty_PT wrote:Just another testimonial. Thanks for your input. Honestly I have no idea how Asus can get away with these crappy models they lately been releasing. I mean, they are usually the most expensive brand and their monitors overdrive simply suck. Is like they don´t even care about optimizing it. To me having only 2 options of dealing with IPS alike ghosting or crazy overshoot, is just plain awful.

I have now one of the few 240hz monitors that I didn´t try yet, the XG258Q, and is the same thing. The overdrive is so bad and this monitor costs freaking 470€.

I already stopped buying Asus motherboards for a long time due to their crappy VRMs and their false advertising with power phases; Now I can see I will have to do the same with their monitors and completely avoid this brand. What makes me mad is that prolly a lot of people will never bother about overshoot or Asus overdrive problems because they have never seen anything better, so there´s nothing to compare it with. People get a fancy expensive shiny Asus monitor thinking they are buying the best possible solution, and end up sticking with a faulty product where Asus made tons of money. This attitude alone is completely disgusting to me.

If you compare Asus recent monitors overdrive with the likes of ViewSonic or Dell, the difference is abysmal and easily noticeable even on windows/websites. Right now every asus monitor is a blur fest or an overshoot effects disaster!


I always considered them a good brand, maybe a little bit overpriced cause of fame but decent products with many fresh ideas and first and foremost user configurability, it was a huge disappointment when in OSD the only control options for backlight i found were ELMB ON/OFF. The monitor is clearly capable of fast refresh rates so there is plenty of room to tweak strobe backlight by adjusting strobe phase and length on lower refresh rates but you cant change anything, and VT adjustments doesn't seem to have any effect on crosstalk.
qwertyuiop
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Mar 2019, 19:05

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 03:55

You mean this test?https://www.testufo.com/#
The upper one(165fps) is smooth on my screen.
Yes I use tracefree:100.Nothing dramatic on my screen.Racing mode,Displayport,165hz,Fsync on,Vividpixel 50,Limited rgb.All good.I play 3 different multiplayer fps games.Mostly I am called a cheater.I always was a terrible CS player.Now I am awesome in CS:Go.:)
ELMB makes screen like a CRT monitor but it makes it very dark.My eyes want bright screen.My settings almost make this a perfect gaming monitor.I am very happy I bought this monitor.:)
karavanasam
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 14:41

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby Notty_PT » 17 Mar 2019, 17:14

Vivid pixel adds input lag on Asus monitors! I would never use it for gaming purposes.

Trace Free at 100? How you can you even use that? Just by moving my mouse cursor at Trace Free 100 I immedialy notice inverse ghosting on the pointer! Completly impossible to use.
Notty_PT
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby karavanasam » 17 Mar 2019, 18:22

Notty_PT wrote:Vivid pixel adds input lag on Asus monitors! I would never use it for gaming purposes.

Trace Free at 100? How you can you even use that? Just by moving my mouse cursor at Trace Free 100 I immedialy notice inverse ghosting on the pointer! Completly impossible to use.


Maybe we use different monitors.They sold you something else as VG258QR but VG258Q perhaps and added a fake R at the end.I am just joking. ;)
Vividpixel adds input lag?I didnt notice it.I enjoy this sharp image and I can forgive any input lag.Also Prad.de claims this monitor has the lowest input lag.So no problem I guess.
I use TraceFree at 100.True.I also selected color format RGB Limited.Somehow this monitor gives better color and performance when RGB limited is selected.Not RGB Full like you expect.Weird right?It definitely is. :D
Maybe Rgb Limited removes some inverse ghosting.I really dont know. :lol:
karavanasam
 
Posts: 141
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 14:41

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Postby Notty_PT » 17 Mar 2019, 18:35

Prad didn´t use Vivid Pixel setting and yes the monitor is very fast input lag wise, no one ever said otherwise.

The same monitor model can have different behaviours regarding backlight bleed, clouding and slightly different colour accuracy. But there aren´t massive overdrive differences between each sample and you already have a lot of people complaining about Asus VG258QR bad overdrive on the internet. You should check reddit topic about it and the topic here on the forum, where gamers clearly state that Trace Free 40 is the only usable setting on this monitor and after that is an overshoot fest. However you are using it at 100, wich must be painful even on a 2d environment (windows), plus VividPixel wich completly ruins the input lag.

I tried both RGB complete and limited, as I do with every monitor. I tried every Trace Free Level, I tried brightness/Contrast tricks to improve pixel overdrive, I tried VRR (Gsync/Freesync), I tried basically everything. Doesn´t matter what I did, the overdrive was always awful and on par with an IPS panel, not a TN.

There is one "bad" thing about this forum (and pretty much every forum). Some weeks ago we also had an user on this forum defending AlienWare AW2518HF like it was a glorious monitor without any problems, wich is wrong too. Now we have someone doing the same with the Vg258QR. Both the monitors have huge problems and makes me sad when people come to spread misinformation on the forums and prolly make other people buy them.

People should never act as fanboys about any product, just because it is the product they bought and spent their money. Same things happens with Intel vs AMD or Nvidia vs AMD debates, people will end up being biased. Both AlienWare AW2518HF and VG258QR are really bad monitors with huge problems compared to other good monitors, and we should never act like they are amazing just because we have them.

I defend ViewSonic XG2402 as much as I can, not because I have it, but because I had almost 40 monitors and this one is by far the closest to perfect. I don´t care about viewsonic or any specific brand, but any XG2402 owner can confirm how glorious this model is. Its input lag is ace, its overdrive is the best you will ever see, it has 5 levels of gamma adjustement, FreeSync/Gsync is only 0,2ms slower than no VRR while on every monitor it is usually slower from 0,5ms to 1ms.

If you have the chance put the VG258QR side by side with the XG2402 and tell me what you see. Is night and day difference really, even on windows just by opening web browsers or watching the mouse pointer moving. I had some IPS monitors with better overdrive than the latest Asus models, including this VG258QR
Notty_PT
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Aug 2017, 02:50

PreviousNext

Return to General — Displays, Graphics & More

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 8 guests