New 240 IPS 1ms panels ghosting?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Post Reply
dANii
Posts: 26
Joined: 11 Jan 2020, 08:09

New 240 IPS 1ms panels ghosting?

Post by dANii » 15 Jan 2020, 05:49

Hello everyone!

I'm in the market for a new 240hz panel. I play fast paced shooters such as: csgo, quake, apex legends.I prefer TN panels as I've tried IPS panels before, such as the Asus PG279Q and I couldn't stand the ghosting it had.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Alienware AW2720HF or any other new IPS panel that claims to have 1ms g2g and could share his experiences with it.DELL claims true 1ms g2g with overdrive, but my question is, will the motionblur still be very noticeable?

Personally I'm looking to get the 25" model, which will presumably be released in March this year.

UPDATE: I Found this video pretty helpful, guess TN is still the way to go at 240h

STOPchris
Posts: 72
Joined: 13 Jan 2020, 18:23

Re: New 240 IPS 1ms panels ghosting?

Post by STOPchris » 15 Jan 2020, 12:45

This one has the lowest lag of any monitor that I've seen a review for, even the PG279Q. I have the PG279Q and it is on par with my PG258Q, probably better, for FPS gaming. For me the low input lag makes it better for a quick and accurate flick shot while sniping. The one thing that immediately made it a no for me, is that it is 27 inches at 1920x1080. However, it is pretty much on par with the TN PG258Q, even with response times: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ac ... xv273x.htm

TwentyFoe
Posts: 66
Joined: 01 Apr 2014, 14:30

Re: New 240 IPS 1ms panels ghosting?

Post by TwentyFoe » 16 Jan 2020, 11:31

STOPchris wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 12:45
This one has the lowest lag of any monitor that I've seen a review for, even the PG279Q. I have the PG279Q and it is on par with my PG258Q, probably better, for FPS gaming. For me the low input lag makes it better for a quick and accurate flick shot while sniping. The one thing that immediately made it a no for me, is that it is 27 inches at 1920x1080. However, it is pretty much on par with the TN PG258Q, even with response times: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ac ... xv273x.htm
I'm so confused. You're saying all of this and then link to a review that quite literally contradicts everything you've said. Yes, the new IPS panels are faster and better than their predecessors, making them even faster than some TN panels, but the great TN panels (especially the recent AOU 1.9) still has the IPS beat. The Asus monitors you've mentioned are also faster.

I've been waiting for the XV253Q X but as I said on multiple occasions around here - I fear that I may be waiting in vain... The 27" is already here, so the 24.5" will probably have similar results, and it clearly has more blur (higher G2G). I think I should pick up the XN253Q X and be done with it... The fact that the XV will not be genuine G-SYNC is another reason...

I wish someone who has actually used the XV273 X would share their 2cents about the blur (in comparison to the faster TN panels).

STOPchris
Posts: 72
Joined: 13 Jan 2020, 18:23

Re: New 240 IPS 1ms panels ghosting?

Post by STOPchris » 01 Feb 2020, 15:53

TwentyFoe wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 11:31
STOPchris wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 12:45
This one has the lowest lag of any monitor that I've seen a review for, even the PG279Q. I have the PG279Q and it is on par with my PG258Q, probably better, for FPS gaming. For me the low input lag makes it better for a quick and accurate flick shot while sniping. The one thing that immediately made it a no for me, is that it is 27 inches at 1920x1080. However, it is pretty much on par with the TN PG258Q, even with response times: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/ac ... xv273x.htm
I'm so confused. You're saying all of this and then link to a review that quite literally contradicts everything you've said. Yes, the new IPS panels are faster and better than their predecessors, making them even faster than some TN panels, but the great TN panels (especially the recent AOU 1.9) still has the IPS beat. The Asus monitors you've mentioned are also faster.

I've been waiting for the XV253Q X but as I said on multiple occasions around here - I fear that I may be waiting in vain... The 27" is already here, so the 24.5" will probably have similar results, and it clearly has more blur (higher G2G). I think I should pick up the XN253Q X and be done with it... The fact that the XV will not be genuine G-SYNC is another reason...

I wish someone who has actually used the XV273 X would share their 2cents about the blur (in comparison to the faster TN panels).
I said the input lag is lower. It is. Pixel response time is worse on the IPS panels. These are different. If you look at the review under "lag". It shows you how pixel response AND processing affect the monitor lag. When comparing my two monitors, which I clearly stated above, the PG279Q has OVERALL less lag than the PG258Q. Lower lag is more important for me than blur in this situation, as the PG279Q has very low blur for an IPS.

STOPchris
Posts: 72
Joined: 13 Jan 2020, 18:23

Re: New 240 IPS 1ms panels ghosting?

Post by STOPchris » 01 Feb 2020, 16:08

Also, when looking at that review, you can see that the XV273 X has no signal processing time, but the response time (the blur) is 2.0. If you look at the PG258Q (a 240Hz TN panel) the signal processing is 2.9 and the response time is 1.7 (the blur). The blur is slightly more on the XV273 X, but there is no signal processing. If you are looking at TTFCentral's review, the XV273 X should net lower lag, but slightly more blur.

Now, what I was saying before, is that the IPS is not a noticeable amount different. The PG279Q has overall lag of 3.25, slightly higher than the XV273 X, but lower than the TN PG258Q. If we are talking blur, the XV273 X is only slightly better than the PG279Q. THIS is why I was saying that, FOR ME, the PG279Q is better than my PG258Q. It has only slightly more blur, but less input lag than the PG258Q. If you are looking at the XV273 X, it has both less blur and input lag. In theory, you should have less blur and input lag with the XV273 X. Now, if you actually notice it, or care about the difference? For me the PG279Q has low enough blur, but also low input lag, better colors and a better resolution.

The biggest difference that you will notice is more fluid motion with higher frame rates, from the higher refresh rate on a 240Hz panel. As you can see though, a higher refresh rate is does not necessarily mean significantly better pixel responses.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 7777
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: New 240 IPS 1ms panels ghosting?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Feb 2020, 18:31

This is true:
-- a panel can have less lag but more ghosting/blur -- these are different metrics.
-- a panel can have a higher refresh rate but slower response or vice versa -- these are different metrics.

That said:
-- Remember that TN was a bit slower too? The new 1ms IPS panels still can outperform some older TN panel.
-- Also, blur when strobed can be very different than blur when non-strobed. 240Hz nonstrobed may not always outperform 240Hz nonstrobed on a TN panel, but 100Hz vs 100Hz strobed on the XG270 versus another, the result is a totally different story about blur elimination, far more head to head than many think, and better than some TN too. Especially when hertzroom is used to reduce lower-Hz strobe crosstalk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

STOPchris
Posts: 72
Joined: 13 Jan 2020, 18:23

Re: New 240 IPS 1ms panels ghosting?

Post by STOPchris » 02 Feb 2020, 17:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 18:31
This is true:
-- a panel can have less lag but more ghosting/blur -- these are different metrics.
-- a panel can have a higher refresh rate but slower response or vice versa -- these are different metrics.

That said:
-- Remember that TN was a bit slower too? The new 1ms IPS panels still can outperform some older TN panel.
-- Also, blur when strobed can be very different than blur when non-strobed. 240Hz nonstrobed may not always outperform 240Hz nonstrobed on a TN panel, but 100Hz vs 100Hz strobed on the XG270 versus another, the result is a totally different story about blur elimination, far more head to head than many think, and better than some TN too. Especially when hertzroom is used to reduce lower-Hz strobe crosstalk.
The problem that I have with using a strobe method, is the increased lag. At least for the monitors that I have tried it on, it increases the lag. For FPS gaming, lower lag is more important for me than blur at the standard blur level of these monitors. Now, if we were talking old 14ms IPS models, then I would never recommend them for FPS games. The blur was simply too great, plus they were 60Hz. They also had terrible input lag, which was probably in-part due to the response time. Using the strobe option does work REALLY well to reduce motion blur though. My PG258Q does so with a high brightness level and 144Hz refresh rate. Much better than what they used to achieve with the strobe options.

Post Reply