IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
IIISLIDEIII
Posts: 25
Joined: 30 Jul 2020, 19:01

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 10 Aug 2020, 03:39

I am continuing to use this monitor, dimensions are perfect for competitive fps, I just needed time to get used to the 25 inches, I was used to larger monitors.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to return the monitor, do not misunderstand, the monitor is ok, but the problem for me is the resolution, too low even for a 25.
I'm used to 1440p and unfortunately with fullhd it shows that the image is not as clean and detailed as I would like.
I hope a 25 inch 240hz 1440p monitor comes out, that would be perfect.
There are some 240hz 1440p on the market, for example Lenovo legion y27gq, but they are 27 inches unfortunately

purplew
Posts: 78
Joined: 04 Aug 2020, 00:24

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by purplew » 10 Aug 2020, 04:03

IIISLIDEIII wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 03:39
I'm used to 1440p and unfortunately with fullhd it shows that the image is not as clean and detailed as I would like.
In gaming or general use?

You know you can increase the resolution scale in games? With NVidia custom resolutions.

IIISLIDEIII
Posts: 25
Joined: 30 Jul 2020, 19:01

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 10 Aug 2020, 05:21

purplew wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 04:03
IIISLIDEIII wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 03:39
I'm used to 1440p and unfortunately with fullhd it shows that the image is not as clean and detailed as I would like.
In gaming or general use?

You know you can increase the resolution scale in games? With NVidia custom resolutions.
i didn't try to upscale, thanks i will give it a try.
is the result decent?
do you know if upscaling increases input lag?

PixelDuck87
Posts: 82
Joined: 28 Apr 2020, 11:25

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by PixelDuck87 » 10 Aug 2020, 10:09

IIISLIDEIII wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 05:21
purplew wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 04:03
IIISLIDEIII wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 03:39
I'm used to 1440p and unfortunately with fullhd it shows that the image is not as clean and detailed as I would like.
In gaming or general use?

You know you can increase the resolution scale in games? With NVidia custom resolutions.
i didn't try to upscale, thanks i will give it a try.
is the result decent?
do you know if upscaling increases input lag?
Did you try out any sharpness settings on the monitor (every monitor has one now i guess) or the one from Nvidia shadowplay filters?

purplew
Posts: 78
Joined: 04 Aug 2020, 00:24

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by purplew » 10 Aug 2020, 10:31

IIISLIDEIII wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 05:21
purplew wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 04:03
IIISLIDEIII wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 03:39
I'm used to 1440p and unfortunately with fullhd it shows that the image is not as clean and detailed as I would like.
In gaming or general use?

You know you can increase the resolution scale in games? With NVidia custom resolutions.
i didn't try to upscale, thanks i will give it a try.
is the result decent?
do you know if upscaling increases input lag?
no idea if it increases input lag, but some games have a native resolution scaling option, others you can just use Nvidia DSR (Dynamic super resolution), it works really well and makes games loook just as good at 1080p than they would at 1440p or whatever custom resolution you set it at. games look like crap if rendered at 1080p

edit: i've looked around on blurbusters and it doesn't increase input lag any more than having higher gpu usage viewtopic.php?t=5914

IIISLIDEIII
Posts: 25
Joined: 30 Jul 2020, 19:01

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 10 Aug 2020, 15:44

thanks for the advice guys

Stevie66
Posts: 215
Joined: 06 Aug 2020, 15:56

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by Stevie66 » 11 Aug 2020, 14:10

On the Xb273 model or any monitor with a G-Sync module, how does the variable overdrive work, lets say the monitor has 3 OD settings, does that mean it will automatically switch between those 3 behind the scenes or does it switch to many others that aren't accessible manually?
And does the variable overdrive only work when you have G-Sync enabled or you can switch it on or off with or without G-Sync enabled?

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 8799
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Aug 2020, 14:48

Stevie66 wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 14:10
On the Xb273 model or any monitor with a G-Sync module, how does the variable overdrive work, lets say the monitor has 3 OD settings, does that mean it will automatically switch between those 3 behind the scenes or does it switch to many others that aren't accessible manually?
And does the variable overdrive only work when you have G-Sync enabled or you can switch it on or off with or without G-Sync enabled?
At the panel level, Overdrive is closer to an analog slider not a 3-setting job.

Overdrive Gain is a slider continuum (0 to 100) with at least 100 settings or an analog slider. Very few monitors expose this outside the Service/Factory Menu. And many monitors don't at all. And certian models such as ASUS TraceFree, only allows you to do it at granular settings (0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100), but at the panel level it's a very fine granularity of 0,1,2,3.......97,98,99,100.

VRR overdrive will continually vary the Overdrive Gain based on the previous/next frametime, because of the fixed-GtG-versus-variable-refreshtimes, to attempt to keep pixel response consistent for all refreshtimes. That requires at least a hundred different levels of overdrive.

For more information about overdrive (advanced/engineering), see Why VRR Displays Need Dynamic Overdrive and Complexity of VRR Overdrive.

Mathematically Overdrive Gain is simply a multiplier number applied to a value rertrieved from an overdrive lookup table, calculated per LCD subpixel per refresh cycle (source->destination = overdrive color with intentional overshoot/undershoot). A low gain reduces the overdrive intensity and a high gain increases the overdrive intensity.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Stevie66
Posts: 215
Joined: 06 Aug 2020, 15:56

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by Stevie66 » 13 Aug 2020, 12:40

Anyone that used both, which monitor is brighter when using strobing? the XB253Q or MAG251RX?

purplew
Posts: 78
Joined: 04 Aug 2020, 00:24

Re: IPS 240hz -> Acer Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx ??

Post by purplew » 13 Aug 2020, 14:07

Stevie66 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 12:40
Anyone that used both, which monitor is brighter when using strobing? the XB253Q or MAG251RX?
I finally bought a MAG251RX and received it today. People may say the screen is dim with MBR, but what the hell man, it's actually more than bright enough for me. Almost hurting my eyes just browsing google with a white background haha.

Post Reply