Potential testing methodology to measure continuous input lag and misbehavior of mouse movement

Everything about input lag. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Brainlet

Potential testing methodology to measure continuous input lag and misbehavior of mouse movement

Post by Brainlet » 29 Jun 2020, 19:31

Put a mousepad over the bottom half of a laid down monitor with the center exposed. Match DPI + sensitivity for a 1:1 physical mouse and on-screen cursor movement in a 2d environment.
Place the cursor vertically centered on-screen and place the mouse directly under the cursor on the mousepad.
Use a construction similar to this https://youtu.be/a2kITylfxXQ?t=20 to move the mouse horizontally.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Potential testing methodology to measure continuous input lag and misbehavior of mouse movement

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jun 2020, 20:36

This is good for reviewers -- the upcoming TestUFO Mouse Test would be compatible with such a rig.

That said, TestUFO Mouse Test is also designed to be users, and I've got a mechanism that sort of filters hand-movement error, to measure mouse stutter volatility. There are multiple layers of stutter onion (other than hand stutter, stiction effects, potentially pollrate vs refreshrate, pollrate vs framerate, framerate vs refreshrate, etc) that has to be somewhat unpeeled, but rawinput + deltas + timestamps tells a lot of story in statistical analysis + visualizations. What's amazing is that same-human mousemoves of different mouse settings, show quite fascinating differences.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Conan

Re: Potential testing methodology to measure continuous input lag and misbehavior of mouse movement

Post by Conan » 03 Jul 2020, 01:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 20:36
This is good for reviewers -- the upcoming TestUFO Mouse Test would be compatible with such a rig.

That said, TestUFO Mouse Test is also designed to be users, and I've got a mechanism that sort of filters hand-movement error, to measure mouse stutter volatility. There are multiple layers of stutter onion (other than hand stutter, stiction effects, potentially pollrate vs refreshrate, pollrate vs framerate, framerate vs refreshrate, etc) that has to be somewhat unpeeled, but rawinput + deltas + timestamps tells a lot of story in statistical analysis + visualizations. What's amazing is that same-human mousemoves of different mouse settings, show quite fascinating differences.
I had to go back in time to search for this post since I had no time of replying when I saw it.
When is TestUFO Mouse Test gonna have a green light? You gonna do some post about it? Like in-depth point of view?
I hope most mice reviewers, preferably from gaming department will utilize it in their reviews.