Confused about Gtg vs MPRT test
Posted: 12 May 2021, 23:25
Hi there,
I'm confused about one specific test, the GtG vs MPRT test.
TLDR Questions:
-In the test explanation, what is meant by "observe the edge sharpness"? Does it refer to the horizontal line that exists where the two panels meet? Or is it referring to the vertical lines on the edges of each panel as they move through space?
The reason I ask is because if it's referring to the horizontal line where the two panels meet, then I'm wondering if it's better to have more sharpness between the two bars, or a more blurred, less sharp line? My confusion is explained below.
On the testing page it says:
"Observe the edge sharpness difference between the top and bottom halves of the moving bar! Fast pixel transitions will amplify the edge-sharpness difference between the top and bottom half. Slow pixel transitions will reduce the difference between top and bottom."
-This would lead me to believe that more sharpness is better, because it would indicate faster pixel transitions, which I also assume that is what we want.
However on the GtG vs MPRT FAQ it says:
"There is a bigger clarity difference in the moving edges between top/bottom halves when the GtG-vs-MPRT ratio is much bigger. Try this animation on a TN or OLED display which often has <1ms GtG but 16.7ms MPRT!"
So then I'm thinking, wouldn't it be best to have as low of an MPRT as possible? Meaning the edge difference would be as non-existent as possible.
Please let me know if I can help explain my confusion further, thank you for your time!
I'm confused about one specific test, the GtG vs MPRT test.
TLDR Questions:
-In the test explanation, what is meant by "observe the edge sharpness"? Does it refer to the horizontal line that exists where the two panels meet? Or is it referring to the vertical lines on the edges of each panel as they move through space?
The reason I ask is because if it's referring to the horizontal line where the two panels meet, then I'm wondering if it's better to have more sharpness between the two bars, or a more blurred, less sharp line? My confusion is explained below.
On the testing page it says:
"Observe the edge sharpness difference between the top and bottom halves of the moving bar! Fast pixel transitions will amplify the edge-sharpness difference between the top and bottom half. Slow pixel transitions will reduce the difference between top and bottom."
-This would lead me to believe that more sharpness is better, because it would indicate faster pixel transitions, which I also assume that is what we want.
However on the GtG vs MPRT FAQ it says:
"There is a bigger clarity difference in the moving edges between top/bottom halves when the GtG-vs-MPRT ratio is much bigger. Try this animation on a TN or OLED display which often has <1ms GtG but 16.7ms MPRT!"
So then I'm thinking, wouldn't it be best to have as low of an MPRT as possible? Meaning the edge difference would be as non-existent as possible.
Please let me know if I can help explain my confusion further, thank you for your time!
