2023 Esports Optimization Guide

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ahead

Re: 2023 Esports Optimization Guide

Post by ahead » 29 Aug 2023, 04:09

He is right, you can't change csrss priority, under the system account either. I know the way how to change priority for csrss, but, this does not change input lag at all. dont waste the time guys.

EchoGhost

Post by EchoGhost » 29 Aug 2023, 04:43

I have tested further, and it turns out that my NIC driver cannot be set to limit 1 or put into legacy mode. Whenever I disable MSI Mode on my NIC, my internet is completely off (Error Code 10). Did you ever have problems like this before?.

Slender

Post by Slender » 29 Aug 2023, 04:57

ahead wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 04:09
He is right, you can't change csrss priority, under the system account either. I know the way how to change priority for csrss, but, this does not change input lag at all. dont waste the time guys.
at all yes - but little better MT graphs.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 29 Aug 2023, 15:34

yuv1 wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 23:56
irq.png
Do I want these IRQ values negative for MSI mode? How do I achieve that
Press Apply and restart PC. I suspect realtek audio could be another device that works best in legacy but haven't tested this idea yet.
EchoGhost wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 04:43
I have tested further, and it turns out that my NIC driver cannot be set to limit 1 or put into legacy mode. Whenever I disable MSI Mode on my NIC, my internet is completely off (Error Code 10). Did you ever have problems like this before?.
I looked up error code 10 and it's an indication the driver isn't working. It's possible your NIC does not support legacy mode, or the drivers might need to be reinstalled or rolled back. My NIC is only pci-e x1 speed and was "designed" into a board with all pci-e 3 and 4 components, so it makes sense for legacy mode to work better in this case. CSGO is also running on an 20+ year legacy engine, which could be another reason legacy settings could work better. Running 'ipconfig /flushdns' in command prompt as Admin helped restore connection when my drivers weren't working correctly.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 31 Aug 2023, 03:15

I found Legacy devices are listed as "PciExpressLegacyEndpoint" in MSI Utility under device type. I'm now testing only the 3 devices that have this designation as Legacy. NIC was not one, so I'm currently testing with it on MSI and will check back on it later. So far the results seem promising.
image_2023-08-31_011523383.png
image_2023-08-31_011523383.png (15.76 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
Edit:
This did not work out well at all. Testing in CSGO FPS was dropping to 300s and 200s, and then the computer completely locked up. The NIC lag also returned, so I switched back to everything MSI and NIC legacy.
Last edited by imprecise on 31 Aug 2023, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 31 Aug 2023, 03:50

I found a couple of settings that might improve mouse input with AM4 motherboards when using SCEWIN.
I highly recommend to use Amitxv fork since there are apparently people putting malicious scripts.

(https://github.com/amitxv/SCEWIN/tree/main).

These two are simple power saving stuff, there are multiple hidden layers of power saving once you expose all the values hidden by the UI.

^this one is very interesting, if you are forced to use C-States (like in the case of the 5800x3d, which is the only way to have 1-2 cores boost to 4550mhz, you can keep C-States ON while breaking of the c-states when the mouse detects an input.

Enabling this feature makes C0 residency double when using c-states with high polling rate mice.

Do you guys remember Buildzoid recommending to disable C-states with X570/B550 to fix the USB Dropout issue?

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7YvN8MKQg)

I 100% believe that enabling this setting is the long-awaited USB dropout fix for X570 owners who failed to fix this issue with the official "bios fix" from their manufacturers.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 06 Sep 2023, 21:04

Friendly reminder:

Check your settings again. I had 4 settings change that forced my PC to underperform, starting about 1 week ago. I think it's connected to a Windows update that installed at the end of August.

Gsync was on even though it was off in nvidia control panel and monitor OSD. This causes unplayable mouse movement for me.
Game mode turned on. This causes Windows to be micromanaging apps in the background, which causes a decrease in mouse fidelity.
HAGS turned on. This causes excessive 3D load spikes, leading to lag and a loud PC under light load.
Power profile reverting to balanced even after changing it manually and changing it in Process Lasso. This makes the computer always behind in competitive games -this really should be fixed by the game devs, makes no sense a 4-5ghz CPU can fall behind when a 2ghz CPU would maintain a better sync.

trefe

Post by trefe » 07 Sep 2023, 05:07

axaro1 wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 03:50
I found a couple of settings that might improve mouse input with AM4 motherboards when using SCEWIN.
I highly recommend to use Amitxv fork since there are apparently people putting malicious scripts.

(https://github.com/amitxv/SCEWIN/tree/main).

These two are simple power saving stuff, there are multiple hidden layers of power saving once you expose all the values hidden by the UI.

^this one is very interesting, if you are forced to use C-States (like in the case of the 5800x3d, which is the only way to have 1-2 cores boost to 4550mhz, you can keep C-States ON while breaking of the c-states when the mouse detects an input.

Enabling this feature makes C0 residency double when using c-states with high polling rate mice.

Do you guys remember Buildzoid recommending to disable C-states with X570/B550 to fix the USB Dropout issue?

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7YvN8MKQg)

I 100% believe that enabling this setting is the long-awaited USB dropout fix for X570 owners who failed to fix this issue with the official "bios fix" from their manufacturers.
Thanks!

It was a particularly useful tip for me, my mouse feels better (Apex Legends).
Maybe the slight sluggishness that characterized the enemy's target (my target) has improved.
As if, but it's only as if, it also smoothed the game a little (I don't use g-sync or RTSS, I use caps inside the game).

SachsenPowl

Post by SachsenPowl » 07 Sep 2023, 16:36

imprecise wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 21:04
Game mode turned on. This causes Windows to be micromanaging apps in the background, which causes a decrease in mouse fidelity.
HAGS turned on. This causes excessive 3D load spikes, leading to lag and a loud PC under light load.
Do you have any benchmarks/proofs for these statements? On my testings all those settings to on seems to have NO impact on mouse-input but generally more fps (low fps %). But I have a highly stripped windows build, so no background apps to "micromanaging" and those spikes I also can not confirm on a Turing-card... Proof would be nice (:

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 09 Sep 2023, 01:41

SachsenPowl wrote:
07 Sep 2023, 16:36
imprecise wrote:
06 Sep 2023, 21:04
Do you have any benchmarks/proofs for these statements? On my testings all those settings to on seems to have NO impact on mouse-input but generally more fps (low fps %). But I have a highly stripped windows build, so no background apps to "micromanaging" and those spikes I also can not confirm on a Turing-card... Proof would be nice (:
These settings will vary by system. For HAGS, I think I meant copy load rather than 3D load, but don't have any screenshots of it periodically spiking from 0-80%. Game mode is advertised to monitor the PC for games running and prevent Windows Update from running in the background. The monitoring part is the issue for me, as any background apps using CPU, even less than 1%, can affect the mouse movement. I'm using an 8khz mouse, which likely brings this issue to the forefront in my system.