I need help optimizing Rocket League for lowest possible Input and Network Lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
rockstar_BLBU

I need help optimizing Rocket League for lowest possible Input and Network Lag

Post by rockstar_BLBU » 15 Jun 2023, 17:54

I've been playing Rocket League since it released in 2015. I have over 7K hours in total and I'm currently floating between GC3 and low SSL in rank (season just reset). My peak is top 50 in 1v1.

I've lately had increasing issues regarding input lag / display lag / network lag. On in-game terms it can be described as going through the ball often, not getting demoes I should've gotten, and also opponents clearly being ahead by hundreds of ms before I even have time to react (almost robotic, inhuman timings). Now I'm all for improving and respecting players who are faster than me, however, there is a clear difference between that and seing/feeling that something isn't right while playing ranked.

If you have an urge to comment/state that this is just "placebo" or that I need to focus on training rutines etc, I'll just ignore you. I want answers from people who want to help and that has an actual functioning brain :twisted:. If you are also experiencing similar issues and have a potential fix I'd really like to hear from you!

PC Specs:
  • ASUS LGA1700 ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMINGWIFI
    Intel 12900KS
    MSI GeForce RTX3080Ti GAMING X TRIO
    Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600MHz 32GB (XMP 1)
    2000G FURY RENEGADE M.2 2280 NVMe SSD
    RM Series (2021), RM850, 850 Watt, 80 PL
Monitor:

Acer Nitro 390Hz
OD set to 'Normal'
VRB set to 'Extreme'
Freesync Premium set to 'Off'

Network:

Download - 100Mbps
Upload - 10Mbps
(yes I know... my internet sucks, but I have stable ping in-game)

Controller:
Dualsense (overclocked to a rate of 8000 using hidusbf)

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: I need help optimizing Rocket League for lowest possible Input and Network Lag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 16 Jun 2023, 02:08

Hello Rockstar,

I think you're referring to HCB or Heavy Car Bug syndrome in RL. I've read about this issue and how more and more players are becoming effected by it. Unfortunately, just like all the other games that exhibit similar desync, sluggishness and all in all unnatural feel, we still have not found a fix for this. Most of the fixes are turning out to be either placebo or temporary.

Going off-grid "electric wise" was one of the sought out solutions, yet I cannot vouch for the person who implemented that fix nor guarantee that the result will be the same for you. Until the culprit is unequivocally identified, every "possible" fix should be taken with a grain of salt or as another hearsay statement.

However, I can confidently say that it is not tied to a certain game, game engine, ISP, gaming hardware manufacturers or special BIOS settings.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Unreazz

Re: I need help optimizing Rocket League for lowest possible Input and Network Lag

Post by Unreazz » 16 Jun 2023, 08:43

Everything which is network based is out of you're control. call you're ISP and tell them but they probably won't help you anyways.
go try to play in the mornings and check if the issue occurs there. try LTE from you're mobile phone and test if its better. also consider to try out a VPN.

Most people assume network delay/Desync issues as input lag but those are two diffrent things.

input lag is a graphical delay while desync every action ingame which happens on the server, the whole World is delayed on you're end.

kwablaz3

Post by kwablaz3 » 20 Jun 2023, 23:35

This is not placebo. Bro I have been trying to fix this shit for like a year. I tried everything. Literally everything hours a day. The thing is its with every game. For me and a lot of other people in a different topic alt + tab out of the game and clicking back in will give you day and night responsiveness for like only 15-30 sec. Sometimes it does not even do anything but if you minimize the game sometimes and click it back up to full screen there is an insane difference. I believe its simply just the in game optimization that syncs everything and you cannot do anything about it. Also all those pc optimization videos and these input lag fixes is all BS. The only things that actually work is overclocking your peripherals, setting low latency to ultra and using Fixed refresh rate instead of g sync. This is the only difference you can feel. Everything else I tried is total bs and I have tried everything that I ended up dismantling windows 11 iso and removing everything from it.

Everythingblows

Post by Everythingblows » 21 Jun 2023, 03:05

it’s like you’re sitting at my computer typing this. Every game I play there’s just zero consistency to the inputs. Rocket league I’m quite good at so it’s very noticeable when the inputs just don’t seem 1:1 or the ball seems to be like slightly off from its actual position. Every time I find some sort of fix the effect wears off. I’m going crazy haha.

I too have noticed the exact same pattern of how the game seems to function well after minimizing. Also random settings changes such as input buffer often will have a temporary effect and then minutes later I’m messing with it again. consistency isn’t even there within each game, and game-to-game it’s a total crap shoot too. I’ve also noticed they free play always feels great the first 10 seconds or so and then the game just becomes muddy and I can’t hit air dribbles anymore. Yesterday I actually had the best stretch of ~5 games I have had in so many months, but it eventually reverted to trash. I have troubleshot literally every setting and piece of hardware possible

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 21 Jun 2023, 15:47

Turning off parked cores and HPET made a significant difference for me. It was like the server was allowing everything to desync until the ball was hit and then there would be a varying 50-300ms lag adjustment. Steam has a couple settings that interfere with the controller too.

Sebichek45

Post by Sebichek45 » 26 Jun 2023, 04:43

Hello bro I use your gpu.cmd and deleted some nvidia edits cause I have amd gpu. Now my fps is capped same with monitor hz. How to change?

dougg0k

Post by dougg0k » 26 Jun 2023, 08:34

Sebichek45 wrote:
26 Jun 2023, 04:43

Hello bro I use your gpu.cmd and deleted some nvidia edits cause I have amd gpu. Now my fps is capped same with monitor hz. How to change?
Hey, that's actually interesting to know. There is a problem that I found on Win11 only, and that only happens in some games, where the fps is capped to monitor refresh rate. Are you on a different OS?

https://github.com/dougg0k/gaming_os_tw ... 1595609203

Solution was only by enabling tech like GSync/FreeSync, it would unlock the fps.

I dont have a AMD GPU. I mostly used those AMD tweaks from others, so I wasnt able to test it. You can open an issue though in the github repository with the actual script changes that you used, maybe a solution can be found.

sherifmagdy32

Post by sherifmagdy32 » 27 Jun 2023, 02:04

rockstar_BLBU wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 17:54
I've been playing Rocket League since it released in 2015. I have over 7K hours in total and I'm currently floating between GC3 and low SSL in rank (season just reset). My peak is top 50 in 1v1.

I've lately had increasing issues regarding input lag / display lag / network lag. On in-game terms it can be described as going through the ball often, not getting demoes I should've gotten, and also opponents clearly being ahead by hundreds of ms before I even have time to react (almost robotic, inhuman timings). Now I'm all for improving and respecting players who are faster than me, however, there is a clear difference between that and seing/feeling that something isn't right while playing ranked.

If you have an urge to comment/state that this is just "placebo" or that I need to focus on training rutines etc, I'll just ignore you. I want answers from people who want to help and that has an actual functioning brain :twisted:. If you are also experiencing similar issues and have a potential fix I'd really like to hear from you!

PC Specs:
  • ASUS LGA1700 ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMINGWIFI
    Intel 12900KS
    MSI GeForce RTX3080Ti GAMING X TRIO
    Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600MHz 32GB (XMP 1)
    2000G FURY RENEGADE M.2 2280 NVMe SSD
    RM Series (2021), RM850, 850 Watt, 80 PL
Monitor:

Acer Nitro 390Hz
OD set to 'Normal'
VRB set to 'Extreme'
Freesync Premium set to 'Off'

Network:

Download - 100Mbps
Upload - 10Mbps
(yes I know... my internet sucks, but I have stable ping in-game)

Controller:
Dualsense (overclocked to a rate of 8000 using hidusbf)
can you share the game config file with me i will make some changes and you can test them out
i already tested these on fortnite and valorant most of the feedback is positive so hopefully it will help