Is "LLM" automatically replaced by the "Reflex" if available now? (NVCP)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Yukai

Is "LLM" automatically replaced by the "Reflex" if available now? (NVCP)

Post by Yukai » 02 Sep 2023, 22:13

So I've been wondering where the hell Fortnite moved Nvidia Reflex setting since I couldn't find it in game.
I tried messing up with LLM in NVCP and apparently it being "On" limits my fps to 171 (which is standart 180hz Reflex limit)

Did Nvidia merged LLM and Reflex in NVCP 3D settings? Or am I missing smth?
AutoBot wrote:Forum System Insert: Context Disambiguation: LLM on these forums stand for Low Latency Mode, not for Large Language Models (AI)

imprecise

Re: Is "LLM" automatically replaced by the "Reflex" if available now? (NVCP)

Post by imprecise » 09 Sep 2023, 01:20

I don't have fortnite but it might hide the setting when turning on LLM. Reflex is the newer version of the setting with game engine integration. In my testing, LLM is defective and reflex+boost is helpful.

Tiberiusmoon

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 09 Sep 2023, 01:58

Yukai wrote:
02 Sep 2023, 22:13
So I've been wondering where the hell Fortnite moved Nvidia Reflex setting since I couldn't find it in game.
I tried messing up with LLM in NVCP and apparently it being "On" limits my fps to 171 (which is standart 180hz Reflex limit)

They are two separate things which causes more latency if both applied.

When a GPU is above 95% usage it goes into a GPU bound state where the frames drawn by the cpu become to much for the GPU to handle, this is when frames get stored into a buffer which adds latency.

Nvidia Ultra Low Latency or NULL aims to reduce that latency when in a GPU bound state, but adds latency when below 95% because NULL has to read the frame buffer which has a latency penalty.

In order to stay below 95% you can use a frame cap to restrict the GPU usage which under game load, Nvidia reflex does a similar thing only the frame cap is dynamic.

Reflex +boost tries to prevent GPU frequency drops in order to maintain low latency but can cause erratic FPS.

So if your using Reflex disable NULL.
A frame cap can replace Reflex but it can take time to find the right FPS target.

Check the fortnite settings/config file and edit it with notepad, you should be able to modify that to enables a setting. (idk where the file is located tho)

NULL will have higher latency than Reflex or a frame cap.

phx

Post by phx » 09 Sep 2023, 12:34

On + Boost

Code: Select all

bLatencyTweak1=True
LatencyTweak2=2
bLatencyFlash=False
LowInputLatencyModeIsEnabled=True

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 10 Sep 2023, 04:48

In Valorant, you have the option of enabling Nvidia Reflex, which comes with three settings: OFF, ON, and ON + BOOST.

I've noticed that my game can reach up to 800 FPS depending on my location in the map. However, during intense in-game actions, my FPS tends to drop to around 400-500 FPS. I currently have Reflex set to "ON." Is it advisable to keep it this way?

Furthermore, based on what I did reach, if I lock my FPS, do I still need to use Reflex? I have a 360Hz monitor, and I can lock the game to 360 FPS; it won't go lower no matter what actions are happening in the game. What steps should I take to ensure low latency in my gaming experience?

Tiberiusmoon

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 10 Sep 2023, 05:59

KingAzar wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 04:48
In Valorant, you have the option of enabling Nvidia Reflex, which comes with three settings: OFF, ON, and ON + BOOST.

I've noticed that my game can reach up to 800 FPS depending on my location in the map. However, during intense in-game actions, my FPS tends to drop to around 400-500 FPS. I currently have Reflex set to "ON." Is it advisable to keep it this way?

Furthermore, based on what I did reach, if I lock my FPS, do I still need to use Reflex? I have a 360Hz monitor, and I can lock the game to 360 FPS; it won't go lower no matter what actions are happening in the game. What steps should I take to ensure low latency in my gaming experience?
If you apply frame cap and reflex it should give you the most solid performance because you can use reflex as a preventative measure incase there is some random Latency stutter in a unique scenario you did not test for.

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 10 Sep 2023, 14:03

Tiberiusmoon wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 05:59
KingAzar wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 04:48

If you apply frame cap and reflex it should give you the most solid performance because you can use reflex as a preventative measure incase there is some random Latency stutter in a unique scenario you did not test for.
Fair enough. Is there a specific method I can employ to assess my system's performance and identify situations where it might be struggling, potentially causing latency that affects gameplay without my awareness?

Additionally, I'm curious about what visual cues or signs would indicate lag caused by the GPU during gameplay?

Tiberiusmoon

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 10 Sep 2023, 14:11

KingAzar wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 14:03

Additionally, I'm curious about what visual cues or signs would indicate lag caused by the GPU during gameplay?
You can use https://www.capframex.com/ there is a RTSS hook to add more Overlay details or just record in the background.

But usually if the GPU usage reaches 95+% without Reflex there will be some latency.
Other kinds of latency can happen if there are power saving functions in play. (but that can be CPU and GPU)

Yukai

Post by Yukai » 16 Sep 2023, 12:05

Tiberiusmoon wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 01:58
They are two separate things which causes more latency if both applied.
As far as I know Reflex overwrites LLM if turned on. Also LLM does not have fps limiter (at least it hadn't).

Your answer really confuses me, my whole question was about Reflex availability in NVCP and LLM setting behaviour T_T

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 Sep 2023, 12:45

Yukai wrote:
I don't currently have Fortnite installed, so I can't check myself, but try Settings > Video > Advanced Graphics.
Yukai wrote:
LLM will only do that if 1) you have Fortnite running in DX11 mode (LLM doesn't work in DX12 or Vulkan), and 2) you're using LLM "Ultra" with G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC.

If not (and Reflex isn't enabled), it's an undocumented glitch.
Yukai wrote:
No, LLM is driver-level, Reflex is engine-level.
Yukai wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 12:05
As far as I know Reflex overwrites LLM if turned on. Also LLM does not have fps limiter (at least it hadn't).
Correct on your first line (assuming there isn't a driver/game glitch occurring), but incorrect on your second; again, LLM "Ultra" + G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC will auto limit the framerate slightly below the refresh rate in supported DX11 or older games.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)