Need some advices for new monitor purchase

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SS4

Need some advices for new monitor purchase

Post by SS4 » 15 Feb 2023, 19:52

Hey guys, as per the title i'm looking for a new monitor for a recent pc build.

Currently using an old VG248QE which i had for years but it will be used on the older PC as soon as i get the new monitor.

The new PC has a RTX 3070 so i'm thinking i should go 1440p instead of 1080p. Not sure yet as i guess it depends on the monitor especially since some can really crank out those Hz nowadays lol.

Also is ELMB-Sync worth getting? Has it improved since its launch or is there any different named alternative thats better?

As for size i'm guessing 27 inch if i go 1440 and 24 for 1080 . . .

Oh and i'm not really sold on curved monitors either, i find that they tend to gather the light from every angle right onto your face lol and the shape of the image feels weird too . . . might need some getting used to but i guess i should stick with a flat monitor.

As for brands i'm not too picky, i do kinda like asus and i'm warry of gygabyte though lol (got reasons . . .) Will also looks at gsync instead of freezync only monitors.

Anyways, thx ahead of time for the advices and info.

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Need some advices for new monitor purchase

Post by Discorz » 16 Feb 2023, 02:59

I'll comment on the VRR strobing part.

All current implementations still use PWM fill to compensate brightness in VRR operation. The lower the frame rate the more PWM fill there is. Meaning it will work well only for frame rates fluctuating about 20% below input refresh rate (e.i down to ∼200fps at 240Hz), the closer to input Hz the better. Below that it may start to feel like a mix of strobe OFF and ON mode (viewtopic.php?p=73457#p73457). For lower frame rates to feel like proper single strobe input refresh rate needs to be reduced which is kinda pointless because ideally you want monitor to be set to max Hz for VRR.

So VRR strobing still synchronizes to frame rate and removes screen tearing, it's just that blur reduction benefits are not as good below those 20%. It's more or less the same story with all VRR strobing implementations.

And watch out for panels with KSF phosphor as they are not the best for strobing due to red ghosting.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

SS4

Re: Need some advices for new monitor purchase

Post by SS4 » 16 Feb 2023, 23:17

Thx for the info on the current state of VRR. Guess its just a plus to have but not a must have feature and i shouldn't base a purchase around that either . . .
Also, I'm starting to doubt the 3070 will be able to push enough FPS to make the most out of thos high refresh rate 27 inches 1440p monitors though. Things will just get worse as time goes by and i don't see myself changing GPU for a while either seeing how pricing are.
The ViewSonic XG2431 seems to be quite popular as a 24 inch 1080p display. The price is decent too but back order everywhere lol.
I might grab one if it becomes available again soon, not buying the few place that have some in stock because they charge way too much for it . . .