ROG Ally Black Frame Insertion

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
cpharlok

ROG Ally Black Frame Insertion

Post by cpharlok » 19 Oct 2023, 16:37

I want to share with you my findings in using the Asus ROG Ally with BFI.

As you may know already, this handheld PC competes directly with the Steam Deck. One of the upgraded features is the IPS 120Hz screen. And, as I love perfect motion background scrolls and buttery smooth sprites, I bought it hoping for a Retroarch BFI positive tests.

After tweaking a bit, I found that the IPS screen gets heavy flickering and image retention after some minutes playing with BFI turned on in Retroarch. The image retention issue (see viewtopic.php?t=7539) is something common on all IPS 120hz, and ROG Ally suffer from it.

The curious thing is:

1. Image retention goes away rather easy.
2. After using BFI, even for a couple of minutes, image flickers like hell if I put the screen in 60hz, but not in 120hz.
3. To "remove" the flickering I had to leave the screen on with a cleaning pattern (TV snow) for 10 hours!!

I don't understand why the flickering shows ONLY on 60hz. If I choose 120hz for desktop (or any other app), there is no flickering.

So, BFI looks beautiful, BUT... I don't know if the screen will end up damaged. If I leave the desktop in 120hz, no flickering appears, and image retention goes away easily. But If I change to 60hz, BAM, heavy flickering and I have to "clean" the screen for 10 hours.

What do you think? Should I avoid BFI on the ROG Ally?

Supermodel_Evelynn

Re: ROG Ally Black Frame Insertion

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 16 Jan 2024, 23:33

What did you ultimately do? any update to this story?

cpharlok

Re: ROG Ally Black Frame Insertion

Post by cpharlok » Yesterday, 10:29

I could not find any information about it and I just disabled BFI on my Ally, I don't want the screen to break or make it flicker without fix. It takes several hours of "cleaning" to remove the flicker, so...