Upgrading to IPS 240hz coming from 240hz tn

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Upgrading to IPS 240hz coming from 240hz tn

Post by Discorz » 12 Jul 2021, 12:54

JerryCanJesse wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 11:10
Dont worry about it, keep it. I went through same thing.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

JerryCanJesse

Post by JerryCanJesse » 12 Jul 2021, 14:03

Discorz wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 12:54
JerryCanJesse wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 11:10
Dont worry about it, keep it. I went through same thing.
Roger that man. Now I just need to find the settings on it I like. Been trying all the stuff mentioned here. =)

prod1G

Post by prod1G » 12 Jul 2021, 16:54

hey, im not an expert, but i thought i'd contribute, because i learned much from this forum and tried a couple of screens over the last few month..
i was on an asus vg248qe for like 6 years, and it actually took me a long time adjusting to it color and coatingwise coming from a samsung s23a700d (loved that screen for its size and the clear coating).

note: i mainly play arena fps with flatcolored picmiped textures and green fullbright enemymodels, so overshoot tends to be very noticable, so i'll base my overshoot expierence on that, rather than plain testufo, discorz has the nice database for that (props!)

sometime around mai i began trying out 240hz screens, starting with a used xl2546s for its supposedly better calibrated overdrives than the k model. unfortunately the screens had some dark clouding in the lower half of the screen and a prominent colorshift red-green top to bottom, so i sold it. nonstrobed overdrive performance wasn't good either, as i got bright yellowish inverse ghosting on AMA high on moderate swipes ingame. furthermore a noticed strobing was not for the games i played competitively as i need a fast overshootfree silhouette rather than a clear model or surroundings.

next two screens where the asus vg258qm and 279qm. i had high hopes for the 258qm but its overdrives had way too much (dark) inverse ghosting at even very light movement of the mouse. i had to go to OD 1 but that felt sluggish and generally input lag on this screen was slow. only good thing imo is the coating, wich is very light, almost no sparkle effect on white backround.

the 279qm was my first ips and surprised me for its general use and casual gaming, obviously the screensize despite being 1080p and better colours. felt inputlag was very snappy and OD80 actually was very good, but i noticed smearing on faster swipes. i still decided against keeping it because i liked 24.5" more and it developed a stuck pixel.
but in comes the biggest caveat.. IPS glow.. (even tho it was minimal on the lower left corner) this really turned me off and i don't even play much dark games or watch movies. imo IPS glow is worse than TN viewing angles looking straight on.
thats why i think recommending against TN is misleading.. its a usecase thing and mostly personal preference. I'll take washed out but conform blacks over IPS glow any day.

wich takes me to my last pick and for me the winner out of the bunch. the xl2540k. comparing it to the 258qm it has way better overdrive on AMA premium with (dark) inverse ghosting only visible on very fast swipes (but can be ugly on desktop scrolling text), felt inputlag is slightly behind 279qm. panel is better than the 2546s i had, blacks are conform, no colorshift, no bleeding or clouding, no inversion artifacts on my copy, only worse thing is the coating, wich is more standard i guess.

sorry for hard read, im no native speaker
in the end i have to say thx to this forum for provoding so much info and interesting stuff to learn
VG259QM the GOAT