I'm desperate.Help me choose a monitor

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
RedKalina

I'm desperate.Help me choose a monitor

Post by RedKalina » 20 Dec 2021, 22:37

Hello everyone, this forum is my last hope for determining what is happening to my eyes and how to solve this problem by choosing a new monitor. I will be using a translator, so there may be errors in context.

In 2018 I bought BENQXL2411p, everything was fine, but after a year I started to feel that my eyes were watering, as if they were in the wind, it got me thinking and I started googling information. I lowered the brightness from 100 to 0 and started using the low blue light mode to maximum, it helped and the symptoms went away. In 2020 I am selling benq to find a 120hz monitor via HDMI for my xbox. I bought an AOC G2590PX and almost immediately I began to feel a burning sensation and tension, after that I went outside and saw how the light of the street lamps began to have a halo and blur a little. I had to use AOC for a few more months before selling it on the bulletin board. Since I work at a computer, I took an ancient ACER for a while while looking for a new one, the symptoms of burning and pressure developed more and more. I bought lg 24gl650-b and it had the same sensations, I had to sell it in a few months. Then I bought BENQxl2411k, because I thought it was similar to xl2411p as stated by the developer, but some modes were changed, for example LBL is not so strong, you cannot turn off the instant mod and the image is too saturated.
At the moment, I have tried all the solutions to problems: I changed the light in the room and near the monitor, changed the contrast and modes, bought glasses to reduce the blue color. I went to the doctor a few months ago and he said that my vision does not suffer, but I feel constant tension as soon as I sit down at this monitor. Any white text on a black background is doubled and neon signs are doubled as well.
It has become difficult to focus on very close objects.Who was in such a situation with such symptoms, How did you solve this problem?

Now I think between Benq GW / GL2780 since they are supposedly for eye protection, your advice is needed.

The difficulty is added by the fact that, according to the law of my country, I cannot return the monitor if it is free of a defect, and the effect on vision is not considered a defect, and any purchase is sent to the notice board and sold for half the price.
The only display that did not cause such symptoms is my friend's Samsung TV, but I do not know its model and display type.

I'm just desperate because I can't find a solution to problems, and my eyes are harder in everyday life.

Kertwaii

Re: I'm desperate.Help me choose a monitor

Post by Kertwaii » 21 Dec 2021, 03:25

My eyes hurt when brightness is too high, on all my monitors I've always been setting it to low values like 20-30
That also happens when there are light reflections (from windows, lamps e.t.c.) on the screen, I close curtains for that and turn off light
My vision sometimes has "doubling" effect if I previously stared at smartphone screen for too long
And my eyes also feel dry very quickly in big department stores probably due to their ventilation system
Your xl2411k is flicker-free if you don't use DyAC, so it shouldn't be related to that
How far from the screen are you sitting? I am at around 1m distance and I am normalsighted
Hope something from this can help you

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 21 Dec 2021, 03:55

Looks like all the panels you've been using are TN. Have you considered new IPS panels? My eyestrain was mostly gone after switch. More info here: viewtopic.php?p=75872#p75872

You don't want to use 100 or 0 brightness, both max an min will hurt you eyes. I found something in range of 20-40 is usually most comfortable (130-150 nits). This depends from monitor to monitor and person. Blue light filters have almost no effect during day time. Also using monitor in dark room is not healthy either, so try turning on your room lights during night use. Make sure all monitors are flicker free and blur reduction off.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

RedKalina

Post by RedKalina » 21 Dec 2021, 08:22

Kertwaii wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 03:25
My eyes hurt when brightness is too high, on all my monitors I've always been setting it to low values like 20-30
That also happens when there are light reflections (from windows, lamps e.t.c.) on the screen, I close curtains for that and turn off light
My vision sometimes has "doubling" effect if I previously stared at smartphone screen for too long
And my eyes also feel dry very quickly in big department stores probably due to their ventilation system
Your xl2411k is flicker-free if you don't use DyAC, so it shouldn't be related to that
How far from the screen are you sitting? I am at around 1m distance and I am normalsighted
Hope something from this can help you
I sit at arm's length, it seems to be so recommended so that my eyes do not strain too much when reading the text.
There are no reflections, glare from the window and the light falls on the other side.
Almost all monitors mentioned in the post had flicker-free and I turned off game modes like Dyac, Overdrive (AOC). It did not help.

RedKalina

Post by RedKalina » 21 Dec 2021, 08:54

Discorz wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 03:55
Looks like all the panels you've been using are TN. Have you considered new IPS panels? My eyestrain was mostly gone after switch. More info here: viewtopic.php?p=75872#p75872

You don't want to use 100 or 0 brightness, both max an min will hurt you eyes. I found something in range of 20-40 is usually most comfortable (130-150 nits). This depends from monitor to monitor and person. Blue light filters have almost no effect during day time. Also using monitor in dark room is not healthy either, so try turning on your room lights during night use. Make sure all monitors are flicker free and blur reduction off.
Thank you very much for your reply.
That's exactly what I'm thinking now between 2 BENQ models, one of them is IPS and I'm more inclined towards it. The problem is that I have not sat for a long time at the IPS and in case of problems, I cannot return the monitor.
How to understand LBL does not work in the daytime?
I liked how Master Chief Bloor tried to determine in that post what the problem was, tried the same but lacks experience and knowledge in the field of displays.
The brightness is set to be comfortable for me, I change it from 0 to 5-10 when needed and would not say that it causes severe discomfort.
all monitors with flicker free and disabled modes.

RedKalina

Post by RedKalina » 25 Dec 2021, 15:03

Or maybe such effects from the screen covering film? I looked closely in low light and the pixels seemed to be moving. If I look at a white background, then small dots move across the screen, similar to those that you see when you look at the sky, it is very difficult to describe this in a language other than your own.

RedKalina

Post by RedKalina » 19 Feb 2022, 23:36

Update.
Some time after the topic was created, 2 more monitors came to me. BENQ RL2755 ТН - Burning in the eyes and other effects appeared after 2-3 hours of playing on it. The blue and AMA modes did not help at all. In the morning I began to feel a headache.
The second monitor is Samsung VA 27 inches, discomfort after 30 minutes of playing.
I experimented with several budget TVs and the symptoms are the same. The only TVs that cause absolutely no effects are Samsung's Crystal UHD screen. I spent the whole evening behind him playing cyberpunk and RDR 2, in a completely dark room and did not feel the usual discomfort. Unfortunately, I cannot afford such a TV now, as I am preparing to immigrate to another country.
I also noticed that various symptoms are observed only in games, in some more, in some less. With normal surfing on the Internet, everything is within the normal range.

I hope for your answers.

monarch10969

Post by monarch10969 » 20 Feb 2022, 20:57

I think I can help since I'm a former owner of an AOC G2590PX. At that time I switched between the G2590PX and a 24G2. After that I bought a Lenovo Legion Y25-25 a 240hz IPS Panel. Same as you, I experienced terrible eye strain afer playing on my G2590PX. There are a number of reasons; but I honestly think it's mostly due to the blue light. Since I bought my main right now an HP Omen 27C which has amazing blue light filtering, For weeks now I never felt eye strain even after hours of playing. So it's either that or because the HP Omen 27c is Curved and helped to make it feel more natural.
AOC 2460pf | AOC 2590px | AOC 24g2 | Lenovo Y25-25