ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz Announced!

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
NDUS

Re: ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz Announced!

Post by NDUS » 01 Dec 2023, 23:52

New super fun discovery about this monitor.

When you boot a game that automatically turns on HDR (e.g. Armored Core 6), there's no way to avoid it - no forced-HDR-off option on the monitor
It will do this no matter what you do. It will do it with HDR disabled ingame, it will do it with HDR disabled in windows, it will do it with limited color range forced in Nvidia control panel. It doesn't matter if you have gsync or ULMB on or off.

And when it does this, it will, for some reason, make the monitor's OSD corrupted/unreadable. It remains in this state until you unplug the monitor (because the power button just turns off the backlight.)

It should be illegal to ship a product in this state

masneb

Post by masneb » 02 Dec 2023, 02:11

I feel as though people are having overreactions more so to spending $900 rather then the product itself.

Still curious if anyone notices what a big difference OD makes rather then ULMB? Maybe I got a bad panel? Switching from normal to esports or extreme is very noticeable in fast paced games like Overwatch.

mackrozhkoff

Post by mackrozhkoff » 02 Dec 2023, 08:24

thizito wrote:
01 Dec 2023, 15:52
insane monitor. the upgrade from benq is insane.
monitor also in perfect condition.
i recommend 500hz over 540hz
for many reasons
Sounds interesting. But why? Do you think 500 hertz is better tuned?

NCG031

Post by NCG031 » 02 Dec 2023, 09:14

Things noticed:

* Stuck pixels - first one has 2 red stuck on left corner, second has green in mid, third one is clear. The reds disappear if pressed nearby on screen.
* OSD menu has bugs - sometimes the marker does not appear in selected box etc.
* No problems with buttons on all three.
* Not that much difference compared to Zowie XL2566K for things, that do not reach 500Hz.

masneb

Post by masneb » 02 Dec 2023, 12:22

Changing my stance. I listened to the review that said to turn down brightness with 'pulse width' this essentially lead to a scenario with ULMB on where it felt like I had cataracts and it was very hard to see anything going on on the screen, I had been using it at 70 and tried 60 before thinking I was going blind. It also caused extreme eye fatigue.

Turned it back up to 100 and I haven't had a better monitor experience so far. Absolutely fantastic.

Now the sad thing is however that without ULMB the monitor is relatively subpar, it felt like my 240hz monitor with BFI on, XF252Q. Obviously a much cheaper and older monitor. It shouldn't be that small of a difference, but it is. With ULMB on it's not even close.

Not sure why ULMB makes such a big difference when it doesn't look that way in reviews. When reviews do the UFO test they definitely should list what speed they're using and really should be using something faster then 960 if they're using the default setting.

To add to build quality. I had no dead/stuck pixels. I did have the monitor bracket very obviously apparent on the bottom, but rubbing that with my nail softly removed it and doing 100% brightness over night has almost made everything completely gone.

unklezog

Post by unklezog » 03 Dec 2023, 08:58

Hmm strange alot of people use pulse width at 100 for me its too bright. 50 works well for me. And yeah ULMB makes a huge difference in Overwatch. I used overdrive in normal have to try esports later.

NDUS

Post by NDUS » 03 Dec 2023, 13:14

Reflex Analyzer is pretty cool
I get 1ms - 3.5 ms (average: 2.6ms) of total system input delay using this monitor + Razer Viper V2 Pro in Half Life 1. Much more (5~8ms) in Overwatch 2, probably because of higher GPU utilization I guess.

pnegus

Post by pnegus » 03 Dec 2023, 17:38

Received a replacement unit. Confirmed on arrival that there were no pressure spots. However, after a 2 hour gaming session and a day later sitting idle, they have appeared.

Seems like it's an inherent design issue where the internal bracket is placing pressure on the panel.

masneb

Post by masneb » 04 Dec 2023, 03:30

unklezog wrote:
03 Dec 2023, 08:58
Hmm strange alot of people use pulse width at 100 for me its too bright. 50 works well for me. And yeah ULMB makes a huge difference in Overwatch. I used overdrive in normal have to try esports later.
I tried 60 and it felt like I was going blind, despite I visually matched the pulse width brightness to my normal brightness levels. I've since set it to 100 and turned down brightness normally.

It seemingly has nothing to do with brightness, it has something to do with how long you can see the image for. There are probably two different things at work here, where the idea of brightness isn't the same as recognition through persistence. You probably could research this further into the types of vision people use, where some people (like myself) generally stare dead center and use a lot of peripheral, and some other people constantly look all over the screen.

Not sure why ULMB makes such a big difference for such a fast monitor though. It's not like slower panels and shouldn't be needed as much or the benefit it provides should be much less.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 04 Dec 2023, 06:32

masneb wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 03:30
I tried 60 and it felt like I was going blind, despite I visually matched the pulse width brightness to my normal brightness levels. I've since set it to 100 and turned down brightness normally.

It seemingly has nothing to do with brightness, it has something to do with how long you can see the image for. There are probably two different things at work here, where the idea of brightness isn't the same as recognition through persistence. You probably could research this further into the types of vision people use, where some people (like myself) generally stare dead center and use a lot of peripheral, and some other people constantly look all over the screen.
When strobing, pulse hits pupils at higher amplitude but for shorter periods. Other than that perceived ULMB ON vs OFF brightness should be identical when matched correctly. Nits is nits! One possibility is you didn't match the two correctly.

On some monitors (most ULMB monitors) strobe brightness can be controlled in two ways/through 2-axis:
1) pulse width, time-x-axis
2) pulse amplitude, luminance-y-axis (standard brightness)
Pulse width is more correct way since it reduces MPRT as opposed to amplitude. Combining the two can lead to additionally, unnecessarily reduced brightness. When strobing always max out standard brightness (when available) and use pulse width (when available) for brightness control instead. Just something to keep in mind for those unaware.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup