LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
NDUS

LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

Post by NDUS » 19 Nov 2022, 11:53

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95qe-b

$1000, claims 0.03ms response time

It would be interesting to see the response time and motion clarity of this against the newly released 360hz TN monitors (eg. BenQ XL2566K) or the 500hz ones coming next year

Reddit seems to think it's coming in 2023
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... _qhd_with/

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: LG 27" 1440p 240hz OLED Ultragear 27GR95QE

Post by Discorz » 19 Nov 2022, 12:36

Finally! :)

U can always compare UFOs.

One OLED pursuit applies to all OLED displays and we already have a 240Hz example (45WQHD240):

Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Nov 2022, 16:55

Moved to correct forum section.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

blurfreeCRTGimp

Post by blurfreeCRTGimp » 20 Nov 2022, 02:23

seeing this monitor makes me hope to see a Zisworks kit. A zisworks kit could easily handle an integer scale of 4X of 720p for 1440p at greater than 360hz. If the gtg response times are actually 0.3 ms this could be insanely close to actual CRT motion.

akrios

Post by akrios » 20 Nov 2022, 03:23

Been waiting to upgrade from MG279Q for so long now. The PG27AQN was the obvious choice but this certainly makes things more interesting. For competitive gaming, do you guys think one will stand out vs the other? The OLED doesn't have appear to have a native Gsync model, should that have an impact at all? Before this I planned to grab the PG27AQN, play with Gsync on in Apex since the game's cap is 300fps and for CSGO, Valorant, etc play uncapped.

Bloods

Post by Bloods » 20 Nov 2022, 04:37

Anyone that can elaborate on (W)OLED burn-in? I understand the basics but after reading comments on Reddit and Youtube it seems VERY varied how fast(If ever?) some people report burn in issues with their monitors/TVs(TVs being a lot more common)

Someone mentioned this monitor won't have insurance regarding burn-in issues and my thoughts and feelings right now are that my Apex Legends interface is going to be burnt in after a month of use :lol:

From my VERY limited knowledge of OLED I was under the impression that manufacturers would create something to avoid burn in(modifying the technology) if that is somehow possible, I heard something about "microLED" etc.'

Thoughts?
Acer Nitro XV252QF (390HZ) VRB Off, Overdrive: Normal/Extreme) Max Brightness ON.
Asus VG248QE (144HZ)

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 21 Nov 2022, 14:49

Very excited to get my hands on this! does WOLED have any significant downsides?

Futuretech

Post by Futuretech » 21 Nov 2022, 16:57

Dalek wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 14:49
Very excited to get my hands on this! does WOLED have any significant downsides?
Downside it's not quantum-dot nor perskovite. Nor a combination Perskovite-Quantum Dot or PQD.

WOLED looks like a very nice IPS panel. In fact it's similar to smartphone LCD the smaller you make LCD the tighter the LCD becomes many LCD phones outperform monitor LCD(VA/TN/IPS) but the monitor is still superior because it's size is many times thus it looks better due to spread resolution. Looking at Apple and their very tight QC for LTPS IPS phone panels.

For example a photo on even a OLED display smartphone looks better on an IPS panel due to being larger rather than zooming in. Plus the IPS if a good one can be calibrated and improved. I've never seen anyone calibrate or make a calibration application or a calibration for smartphones. Imagine one of the colorimeter companies making smartphone app/hardware/software for calibration.

My old IPS panel looks as good or better than my OLED screen phone not because of black levels, the IPS is horribad greyish tones blooming etc.etc. But because it has 100% SRGB and even without calibration it looks better even if it is 8-bit. Obviously the OLED is a superior technology but for now IPS panels can look as good or better or certain rare VAs look nicer than OLED as we engineered LCD for so long.

Like a [H]ardOCP member stated "LCD is the communism of technology no matter how many times we try and kill it. It pops up and returns with new surprises." Also Mr.Rehjon(CBB) mentioning LCDs are going to still be produced till the end of the century some 80 years from now so don't be surprised if LCD is still kicking it long after it's demise. Either way LCDs should have been killed off a while ago but it's kinda like the gun industry it wasn't till the early 1990s that good bullets started coming in many 9x19 Parabellum manufacturers improved significantly this caliber along with other good bullets like 5.7x28, .40 S&W, .357 Sig etc.etc.

But I'd rather take an image and look at it on my 1200P IPS rather than the phone. Don't get me wrong OLED is tight IPS/VA/TN all in one most color transitions occur between microsecond and low millisecond transitions most agree OLEDs are mostly microsecond devices with some millisecond colors which is fine perfectly for phone operation.

As to get back on topic on WOLED it's nice like an IPS 8-bit or 10-bit in this case so many with OLED want to abandon 8-bit and other tricknology of 6-bit+2-bit dithering and going 10-bit in fact many want 10-bit or better with supersampling of 16-bit 3DLUT.

Sorta like the recent Samsung display. If you buy the smaller one 14-bit 3DLUT if you buy the slightly bigger one 16-bit 3DLUT.

Why would you manufacture a display with so much variety just because of the size that sounds like your being ripped off.

Many want OLED but leaning towards those who run through quantum dot and as well perskovite when it comes online. LG recently announced for their EX organic electro-luminescent display or Organic EL by their tick-tock changes like Intel famously did it. They wish to add heavy water(Deuterium) to their display to improve the individual OLED.

As for fringing and whatnot that's up to LGs manufacture sheer fact is WOLED uses a white-light to excite Organic EL properties so in essence it's OLED with an indirect rearward illumination. Think of WOLED as a LCD only without the negative black colors.

OLED is a huge thing and patent wise and IP wise is a nightmare. It's mindboggling to believe OLED or MicroLED isn't seen as a revolution that requires Copyleft, Free, Public, and Open Sourcing of technologies. I understand each player wants to eat the market and gain financial securities but LGs WOLED is slightly inferior to the competition.

Still celebrate it as a victory for users rather than being trashed aside by the LCD and it's TN/IPS/VA lottery system. I want nice colors, I want nice blacks, I want speed etc.etc. I just want a display that kicks ass and does all 3 at the same time without compromises and tradeoffs.

Even if this display is not a standard RGB style it's still a win and at least since the alienware came out the price has surprised people nearly 1K for a OLED O.o interesting. We thought the first OLED would pop out at 2K-3K cost. Even LGs OLED TVs like 899 at certain places for black Friday of as of the time of this post year November 2022.

Anyways don't worry even if fringing and even if slightly negative. Win freaking Win as Peter Griffin said.

The snowball is rolling wait till the good monitors show up 24-27-30-42 etc.etc. high refresh higher resolution etc.etc.

Either way a win for consumers.

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 21 Nov 2022, 19:09

Futuretech wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 16:57
Dalek wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 14:49
Downside it's not quantum-dot nor perskovite. Nor a combination Perskovite-Quantum Dot or PQD.

WOLED looks like a very nice IPS panel. In fact it's similar to smartphone LCD the smaller you make LCD the tighter the LCD becomes many LCD phones outperform monitor LCD(VA/TN/IPS)...
Thank you for the long explanation and comparisons. I'm also hoping it's a monitor that ticks all the boxes for colour, motion blur, response times and clarity with reading text etc.

I'm surprised it isn't more expensive to be honest. Can't wait to get it!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Nov 2022, 15:51

I'm excited about this display, yep.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!