Gigabyte G24F (ver. 1) - vertical lines

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Luke88Gw

Gigabyte G24F (ver. 1) - vertical lines

Post by Luke88Gw » 04 Jul 2023, 11:25

Hello everyone,

Anyone has the monitor? I get vertically lines in games and even movies with gentle camera movement.

So I'm able to reproduce the effect. Testufo has a test named moving picture and Qubec City is the best picture to see it. When monitor is set at 60hz the effect dissapears at the pace of 120 pixels per second. When monitor is set at 120hz (I have an Xbox so my monitor is usually set at 120hz) the effect dissapears at the pace of 240hz pixel per second. I was checking non standard refresh rate like 100hz and its visible at 60 and 120 pixel per second. The effect is on the whole screen but its more visible on light colours. Curiously when the monitor is set at native 165hz the effect is almost invisible even at the lowest speed (60 pixels per second).

I was checking with my cheap laptop at 60hz I dont see such lines even at slowest speed of the test. When set at 120hz there is no difference between 60 and 120 pixels per second - the effect seems to be of the same strenght.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Gigabyte G24F (ver. 1) - vertical lines

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2023, 03:33

This is typically an inversion artifact -- from the LCD voltage inversion algorithm.

Normally invisible, but sometimes it creates artifacts (horizontal lines, vertical lines, or chessboard patterns).

viewtopic.php?t=3629

Switching refresh rates can increase/diminish this effect.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Luke88Gw

Post by Luke88Gw » 05 Jul 2023, 09:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 03:33
This is typically an inversion artifact -- from the LCD voltage inversion algorithm.

Normally invisible, but sometimes it creates artifacts (horizontal lines, vertical lines, or chessboard patterns).

viewtopic.php?t=3629

Switching refresh rates can increase/diminish this effect.
any chance they will replace it? It's visible from normal viewing distance. I didnt stick my eyes to the screen to find it. At first I thought it was a driver issue.

I know the effect you mentioned but I thought it decreases with lower refresh rates because higher refresh rates in cheap monitors are achieved by pushing panels to the max. In my case its very visible at 60hz and 120hz but almost invisible at 144 and 165hz.

EDIT:
Can it get worse as time progresses?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2023, 23:18

Luke88Gw wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 09:59
EDIT:
Can it get worse as time progresses?
It can go either way.
- I've seen it worse at lower Hz than higher Hz, and vice versa.
- I've seen it get better with aging, and vice versa.
- I've seen static-lines effect (visible in static), and moving-lines effect (visible only in motion)
- I've seen it appear/disappear during VRR or QFT modes (e.g. 60Hz ToastyX mode that transmits frames in 1/165sec).

Varies between panels; but the common attribute is inversion artifacts are generally single-pixel or single-subpixel fine grained textures (horizontal lines, vertical lines, or chessboard textures).

But don't depend on aging-improvement/degradation effects. At least once you've completed your approx ~100 hour break-in period. Most inversion-apperance changes, if any, would occur during the break-in period, and making sure the panel is warmed up.

If you're concerned, you may try the panel lottery (RMA) if others are not getting the same problem. There can be inversion-effect variances between panels large enough that some specimens are just so out-of-spec, that it crosses the RMA threshold. However, on some panels, it's so consistent (e.g. all of them ending up have inversion artifact for a specific mode). So no guarantees on the panel lottery either.

Advanced Tweak; useful if you're stuck with monitor: If 100% of your use is PC based, you can attempt to create a Quick Frame Transport mode via www.monitortests.com -> ToastyX CRU -> Use Vertical Total Calculator, to create a fixed-Hz non-VRR 60Hz mode with the horizontal scan rate of 165Hz. To make the individual "60Hz" refresh cycles refresh 1/165 sec apiece. Occasionally, this can solve an inversion artifact on certain (not all) panels that are only well-optimized at high Hz scanout velocities. Or if VRR fixes the artifact -- just use VRR for your 60fps content -- 60fps via VRR is a great way to lower fighting-game input latencies and emulator latencies, as an example. VRR includes a more user friendly QFT built-in, and VRR being the world's lowest lag "not VSYNC OFF" sync technology.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Luke88Gw

Post by Luke88Gw » 06 Jul 2023, 10:04

My lines are def. moving so its driving me crazy. Very distracting. I was not looking for any imperfections, but the effect is very noticable, it gives me impression of low res. I talked to one guy who has the monitor and I asked him to look at the Quebec City Moving Photo test with specific refresh rates and speed of the test and he did not notice anything suspicious. I will try my luck in the lottery if Gigabyte will agree for that. Thx for help.

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 14 Jul 2023, 02:26

Pixel inversion artifacts are in my opinion the worst kind of monitor defects. They completely mess up the smoothness of everything. Games, videos, scrolling, etc. They are the very first thing I look for after getting a new a monitor. When I see them on a new monitor, I immediately put it back in the box and ship it back to the seller. I suggest not wasting any more of your time and returning that monitor while you still can.
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

Luke88Gw

Post by Luke88Gw » 31 Jul 2023, 18:15

Boomchakadah wrote:
14 Jul 2023, 02:26
Pixel inversion artifacts are in my opinion the worst kind of monitor defects. They completely mess up the smoothness of everything. Games, videos, scrolling, etc. They are the very first thing I look for after getting a new a monitor. When I see them on a new monitor, I immediately put it back in the box and ship it back to the seller. I suggest not wasting any more of your time and returning that monitor while you still can.
Dear Boomchakadah, I cant return it. I lost the right many months ago. I used warranty but they send it back saying "reported issue did not appear" but I see it everyday. I'm not having phantom vision, my brother also saw them.

I'm trying CRU to at least watch movies without it (I game on Xbox with this monitor) but I dont know what I should put there. I attached my settings

Btw. I can set my monitor even at 30hz but the lines are still there not smaller than on 120hz.
Attachments
Bez tytułu.png
Bez tytułu.png (13.09 KiB) Viewed 2492 times

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 31 Jul 2023, 20:36

Luke88Gw wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 18:15
Boomchakadah wrote:
14 Jul 2023, 02:26
Dear Boomchakadah, I cant return it. I lost the right many months ago. I used warranty but they send it back saying "reported issue did not appear" but I see it everyday. I'm not having phantom vision, my brother also saw them.

I'm trying CRU to at least watch movies without it (I game on Xbox with this monitor) but I dont know what I should put there. I attached my settings

Btw. I can set my monitor even at 30hz but the lines are still there not smaller than on 120hz.
There is nothing you can do to fix pixel inversion artifacts. RMA it again and make sure to add videos showcasing the issue and steps to reproduce the issue. Also, mention that the issue wasn't fixed the first time you RMA'd the monitor.

Here's the videos i sent Acer a few years ago when I RMA'd an acer monitor for the second time after they ''DiDn'T fInD tHe IsSuE''. ACER sent me a brand-new unit after that.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nahNrH ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15i1cSl ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-hWsJK ... sp=sharing
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

Luke88Gw

Post by Luke88Gw » 01 Aug 2023, 19:52

Thanks for your help. My issue isnt that bad. I finally decided to keep the monitor because I increased distance from the monitor (arm's lenght) and it works pretty well. My next monitor will be 27 or 32' but definitely will check it for pixel inversion artefacts in first days so I dont loose my return window ;) Gigabyte service seems to be very unprofessional in my country, they didnt really inform me that my warranty claim was refused they just said give us your address for delivery and phone numer for courier. Dont really want to deal with them again.