Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
milojr21

Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF

Post by milojr21 » 03 Nov 2021, 01:02

I found that I didn't play as good on it as my 27GP83B-B or my VG279QM. There were a few times I hit crazy shots that I never hit before, but on average I just played worse on it. I play OW and a few other old games, so getting 360fps wasn't an issue. The menu is buggy as some stuff randomly controls brightness, vbr gets reset when restarting, it just felt so unpolished. My unit was a jan one.
adam_rtings wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 14:54
milojr21 wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 17:36
planart wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 08:24
milojr21 wrote:
30 Oct 2021, 18:06
lmaooo HP X24c 23.6" 16:9 Curved 144 Hz FreeSync VA Gaming Monitor is winning on votes for rtings. surely another vote manipulation scandal going on, right?
What's interesting about this monitor? Seems very odd. With 200€ msrp it's not even very interesting as a value proposition. 24" 1080P VA 144Hz 4ms.
someone is just manipulating votes to their crappy monitor they want reviewed, rtings voting system is very easy to mess with apparently
We already flagged this internally, we're looking into it.
Awesome welcome to the forums, btw.

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 03 Nov 2021, 01:37

Notty_PT wrote:
03 Nov 2021, 00:09
So I really don´t know where you got the idea of it being the fastest monitor they recorded. It wasn´t even close to being the highest scoring one. In fact it isn´t even top 40 on the best Pixel response time score for a reason.
When I said fastest monitor ever I meant that time it takes for my inputs or enemies to register on screen. That's really the most important thing to me. If response time matters so much (more than a 150 Hz increase) why not just go with an OLED 120 Hz screen? In real world settings (not just looking at UFO tests), I will have context and probably not notice the 1 ms worse response time on the trailing edge of a moving object than most of the top TN panels. The argument can't be made that 240 Hz is worth it over 120 Hz but 390 Hz isn't worth it over 240 Hz if the goal is pixel response since 120 Hz OLED displays are so much more "responsive". LG CX has 1.8 ms total response time. Obviously that blows away every LCD on the market. It's not even close. As another example, I have the iPhone XS Max (60 Hz OLED) and iPad Pro 2021 12.9” (120 Hz LCD). The OLED screen has something like 2 ms response time and the LCD screen had 10x that at something like 20 ms response time. Still, I prefer the 120 Hz LCD. Comparing them side by side, I would guess that almost everyone would prefer the iPad’s screen.

You have top pros using 240 Hz TN monitors with 7.6 ms total response times and not complaining about it either. If this monitor has so many extra refreshes per second AND faster response times, what is the problem with it? I personally notice the loss of refreshes per second much more than the response time when I was switching back and forth.

Anyway, I agree that faster response times are always better (of course).

With all of that being said, I have been trying to find more direct comparisons between 360 Hz and 390 Hz and the top 240 Hz panels. I found these two interesting measurements from Hardware Unboxed.

Multiple reviewers have confirmed that the Acer 390 Hz monitor is faster than the ASUS and Alienware 360 Hz monitors in terms of input lag, and the general consensus has been that the response times are better too. We will have to wait and see for one of these established reviewers to compare it to other monitors using the exact same testing methods.
Last edited by lizardpeter on 03 Nov 2021, 23:34, edited 3 times in total.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 03 Nov 2021, 04:24

he likes hitscan, that's the whole basis of all his viewpoints. just forget about it. this dragged argument isn't going anywhere. the quake circle in general is so self aggrandising it's honestly sad. everyone else doesn't respect them as much as they think they are owed, but they insist on self regarding as gods among men. When I watch some Rapha edits with the over glorified cringy music it's like a dota 2 player watching the League finals. It's like, what are you so excited about.....? (what you don't seem to understand is, the pace of Dota was already dumbed down and quickened to the extreme enough vs actual RTS where the genre CAME FROM, LOL was just beyond, because it was basically made so that they could make the mobile versions later on, for a much larger demographic than even LOL, there's no real dignity less prestige in any of that race to the bottom bs). And the ironic thing is nobody seem to bother to point out that in terms of fps, games have not devolved, thanks to arma stuff (or actually, they were always evolving thanks exactly to quake tying it all to graphics advancements, which were always advancing, for all Jensen Huang etc's achievements and faults) and in terms of rts and spawnoffs, it's the other way around, and that's no surprise as fps takes a frontal seat and muh consumerism... but meanwhile there were a lot of attempts to blend genres and cross borders, meaning you don't HAVE to have a FPS vs MOBA dichotomy, whatever that even means aside from esport corporate marketing. I am really disappointed that the industry backstepped on the hybrid push and devolved into seperate camps all over again (with RPG mostly retreating to console and you get stupid scandals like TLOU2 review fixing, nice booming business huh /s) when the best that ever happened was mostly heavily leaning towards fps in the first place...or it's not really a shooter at all...You cannot make RPG/FPS/STRATEGY/etc great again by just doing the same old singular genre, just because it's more risky to truly experiment or envision beyond.

I've mentioned previously many times about this, but for the last time, a slow paced game can and should also have bursty moments, but a fast paced game leave little room for methodology. It's just math. You can't argue with math. Nor the premier pc platform Steam's top 3 games in history PUBG DOTA2 CSGO the way they are played in aggregate veering under slower category, by today's standards. A fast paced game is always bond to be lesser in scope and nuance. You are not FORCED to play a fast pace only game to get the most out of fast hardware, if at all deserving to own them, SMH. Playing a slower paced game on fast hardware is not blasphemy, nor does it mean you are only here cus incapable of lightning fast reflex. In fact in a way it means you are that much more serious about it, if it is in any way overkill. In the Quake days people didn't have tech for complex games, but have time. Now they have plenty tech for vast open worlds but sadly no time to enrichen+polish or experience them in depth in multiplayer?? (but do have time for Tiktok???????), so they are back to playing some demented version of a "fasted paced shooter" again it's honestly so digressive.

It would be nice for a universal hardware benchmark purpose, that OW is still the most played game IN THE WORLD, what with it pushing out 400fps limit very soon after the 390hz launched (prior to it hitting Western market, but that's my point, I don't play it much nor mostly anyone else, one of plenty wasted premise). After all, it did got Williams to vouch for the Combine league thing. Shattered meta dreams of reclimbing the esport ladders much eyy Blizz? Shouldn't have appointed a EQ rageposter turned WOW lore writer as director (even though hiring say an ex Cod or Quake pro would be equally disaster, there are better alternatives..) if the original next gen MMO was gonna be butchered and trimmed down as a final decision....

And you can buy and test and review a million monitors all you want but all it does is as you say, wasting your energy and resources, you don't have to fixate on flaking one or one strand of products as if that means anything in the big picture, you maybe shouldn't have made excessive purchases in the first place as a consumer, not a pro reviewer. I bought 120hz for diablo3/gw2/dayzmod/dota2/csgo in the undisputed swansong and best gaming/gaming gear year in the past decade if not the entire history of gaming, when I didn't even have a gaming pc, and had to use hdmi vs that beefy serious desktop thingy now relic and I couldn't even benefit 120hz, and only used it temporarily as a substitute for having to use 1st gen retina IPAD for 1080p content cus the laptop was 720p. I bought 180hz for OW and instead mostly used it for sub 100fps PUBG, with of course the side bit of lingering WT maxing into 500fps on 5 year old broken down juice. And 390hz exactly the same time as Viper 8khz release, a once in 1.5 decade singularity. I know my way around using overkill HZ on underperforming fps and never felt like it wasn't justified. I got my money's worth when my computer upgraded in due time/game optimized/etc. And it will be the same deal going forward. Point is hardware improvement has always holistically driven software and mutually enabling, that's the way it should be.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 05 Nov 2021, 08:52

Axaion wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 18:13
unless theyre at the same hz, you cant really compare them like that, a5hun has a video on this
You can!

What Ashun probably said is panning speeds need to be the same. But small differences in speed don't really matter -
Actual UFO Panning Speeds.

But I can understand what u meant. It's not MPRT vs MPRT, meaning we don't get to see refresh rate compliance of the TN.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 05 Nov 2021, 18:19

Notty_PT wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 18:04
Let´s play a game!

2 different monitors compared at 1080 pps. One of them is Acer Nitro 390hz with overdrive normal.

You decide wich one seems faster, left or right. Afterwards, I will reveal wich one is the Acer and what is the other monitor

The whole story about TN vs IPS response times comes down to personal preference. TN is faster but since the difference is small (1-3ms) most of the people won't notice it and would rather prefer newer panels with better colors and viewing angles. Then there are also people who put response times as number 1 priority. In reality, as long as it's not VA slow you're kinda good.
For this reason I wouldn't recommend any TN in 2021. Those panels need to go. And IPS keep getting improved.

With that said lets take a bit different example for IPS and TN comparison. Since u used well tuned 'fastest TN' why not use well tuned 'fastest IPS' instead of average fast IPS. To make the comparison even more apples to apples we will set them both to same refresh rate.

Image Image

1. IPS - PG279QM @240Hz Esports
2. TN - X 25 @240Hz Level 2
both are top row ufo with dark cyan shade where IPS usually transitions slower, 960pps
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 05 Nov 2021, 20:04

Discorz wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 18:19
Notty_PT wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 18:04
Let´s play a game!

2 different monitors compared at 1080 pps. One of them is Acer Nitro 390hz with overdrive normal.

You decide wich one seems faster, left or right. Afterwards, I will reveal wich one is the Acer and what is the other monitor

The whole story about TN vs IPS response times comes down to personal preference. TN is faster but since the difference is small (1-3ms) most of the people won't notice it and would rather prefer newer panels with better colors and viewing angles. Then there are also people who put response times as number 1 priority. In reality, as long as it's not VA slow you're kinda good.
For this reason I wouldn't recommend any TN in 2021. Those panels need to go. And IPS keep getting improved.

With that said lets take a bit different example for IPS and TN comparison. Since u used well tuned 'fastest TN' why not use well tuned 'fastest IPS' instead of average fast IPS. To make the comparison even more apples to apples we will set them both to same refresh rate.

Image Image

1. IPS - PG279QM @240Hz Esports
2. TN - X 25 @240Hz Level 2
both are top row ufo with dark cyan shade where IPS usually transitions slower, 960pps
So you are saying PG279QM is faster than the Acer Nitro 390hz? You basically got to my point then. 360hz panels are slow :lol:

As for the TN vs IPS. I literally have right now on my desk the fastest pixel response time IPS 240hz model and the fastest TN 240hz. IPS has no chance and hell yes, you can notice.

If we are talking about more "casual" or "relaxed" gaming, then yes I agree. But for tryhard mode, there´s no debate. A good TN is too fast and any experiencied player will notice it. Is easy to notice when you have them side by side. But when someone is used to 1 IPS monitor only, I am sure he will never think about "how slow my monitor is". Wich means IPS now has good response times. As you said, with VA we immediatly notice "well, this is slow, look at that ghosting". Not with good IPS monitors anymore. They are good enough. But we all know in a market where people are willing to spend 700€ to perform at their max in a game like CS GO, there is no room for "good enough". TN is objectively faster and clearer, and it is noticeable, nothing to add. So I don´t judge someone willing to buy a TN monitor.

I did have that "wow this monitor is slow" feeling with all the 360hz/390hz models tho. Immediatly had it. And I´m not the only one considering youtube is full of sreamers/pros saying they went back to 240hz as they couldn´t aim as good etc

360hz monitors should have been released as TN first! But this is always the same story.. companies go after the "internet reddit buzz" kind of thing. That´s the reason why glossy monitors basically vanished from the planet too.. wich was an awful move. I loved glossy monitors, but they were hated on everywhere for years. Now same thing with the IPS vs TN where 99% of the internet will scream "tn has awful colours and viewing angles, no way I am using that"; just like they used to yell "my monitor seems like a mirror and I can´t see anything"

Thankfully TV companies ignored all that crap and still produce Glosys screens. That is why I don´t play single player games on any PC monitor. LG OLED ftw

Now I just need the 16:10 aspect ratio back to mainstream.. so much superior to any other aspect ratio I ever used. People man...

lyrill

Post by lyrill » 05 Nov 2021, 23:04

where are the tn improvements?

the imax segments in transformer 2 /interstellar etc were taller. weren't old crt also taller/squarer?

Also, the quake duel or basically ANY 1v1 GAME= MASTER RACE argument/superstition is literally living in decade+ ago. You can disregard team games like csgo and league all you want, but BR was introduced exactly to break the stale bs that are modern team games (blame simulator). The answer is already there, IT is still multiplayer, but no forced and reducive predefined team modes/sizes. because IT, GAMING, is always meant to be more complex and higher consciousness, not suddenly uninstalling the brain and reverting back to cave men era, when the robots have already way surpassed us in many basic functionality areas. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. (also I don't think cavemen are capable of computing what to do in a mere 1v1v1 scenario, not even Billions in all of 5 seasons had really written out a good plot for that.) EVERYONE and ANYONE that think any title aside from PUBG played in the vanilla 2017 eas4 or prior way is any indicative of what's the latest or the furthest esport has ever achieved/reached, has basically zero credulity in talking about game or gaming gear. You can still express opinions all you want, duh, but the moment you step out and declare those opinions as the singular truth, or somehow so meta and next level, well I'm sorry but you are just so unfortunately wrong. this is the last time I will say this, if you have any legitimate doubt you are more than welcome, as ever nothing reasonble is set in stone, it's just that there are bound to be more and more manchilds in all walks of existence who are confused which direction history should go; otherwise do not try to paint me in any negative light just because high chance there's nothing better to say about the topic because unfortunately whenever I speak I speak volume greater than 1000 and the more hiveminded people get the less compromising they should expect me to be, as, if it is to be, I alone hold the balance of justice against all the fakeness and ugliness. After all the resident trolling and unabashed ignorance done by wayward stranders high and low, I'm still here.

ps: ForTheLastTime, is it worse to say a game that is at least interesting to play for the average pubber, that which never prolly should have been turned into esport, is an afterthought as an esport ; or worse for a game to be absolutely zero fun to play or watch but is "certified legit esports" aka have tons of cashflow and investor interest (or is it money laundering/ponzi scheme, I cannot tell the difference) ? I take no credit in the way the latter is described or frowned upon by most people with a conscience.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 06 Nov 2021, 12:35

Notty_PT wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 20:04
Yes, no doubt 390 is a bit much for this IPS. What I did here is approached with a bit different comparison.

It was a surprise when PG259QN came out with IPS. 480 will very likely be too.

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 06 Nov 2021, 14:12

Discorz wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 12:35
Yes, no doubt 390 is a bit much for this IPS. What I did here is approached with a bit different comparison.
I agree. I would have preferred TN. I literally have no problem with any of the “downsides” of TN. However, the fact of the matter is that these highest refresh displays are all IPS. The fastest response times are all OLEDs. TN is leading the way in nothing right now. As for the extra 150 Hz over 240 Hz compared to the very slightly worse response times, I can notice a massive difference playing a game that can reach 390 FPS on this 390 Hz monitor over a game at 390 FPS on my 240 Hz monitor. So whatever the response time difference is, I think it’s much less important than the refresh rate increase (since the response time is already within 1-2 ms of the best TN monitors).
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 06 Nov 2021, 19:06

lyrill wrote:
05 Nov 2021, 23:04
where are the tn improvements?

the imax segments in transformer 2 /interstellar etc were taller. weren't old crt also taller/squarer?

Also, the quake duel or basically ANY 1v1 GAME= MASTER RACE argument/superstition is literally living in decade+ ago. You can disregard team games like csgo and league all you want, but BR was introduced exactly to break the stale bs that are modern team games (blame simulator). The answer is already there, IT is still multiplayer, but no forced and reducive predefined team modes/sizes. because IT, GAMING, is always meant to be more complex and higher consciousness, not suddenly uninstalling the brain and reverting back to cave men era, when the robots have already way surpassed us in many basic functionality areas. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. (also I don't think cavemen are capable of computing what to do in a mere 1v1v1 scenario, not even Billions in all of 5 seasons had really written out a good plot for that.) EVERYONE and ANYONE that think any title aside from PUBG played in the vanilla 2017 eas4 or prior way is any indicative of what's the latest or the furthest esport has ever achieved/reached, has basically zero credulity in talking about game or gaming gear. You can still express opinions all you want, duh, but the moment you step out and declare those opinions as the singular truth, or somehow so meta and next level, well I'm sorry but you are just so unfortunately wrong. this is the last time I will say this, if you have any legitimate doubt you are more than welcome, as ever nothing reasonble is set in stone, it's just that there are bound to be more and more manchilds in all walks of existence who are confused which direction history should go; otherwise do not try to paint me in any negative light just because high chance there's nothing better to say about the topic because unfortunately whenever I speak I speak volume greater than 1000 and the more hiveminded people get the less compromising they should expect me to be, as, if it is to be, I alone hold the balance of justice against all the fakeness and ugliness. After all the resident trolling and unabashed ignorance done by wayward stranders high and low, I'm still here.

ps: ForTheLastTime, is it worse to say a game that is at least interesting to play for the average pubber, that which never prolly should have been turned into esport, is an afterthought as an esport ; or worse for a game to be absolutely zero fun to play or watch but is "certified legit esports" aka have tons of cashflow and investor interest (or is it money laundering/ponzi scheme, I cannot tell the difference) ? I take no credit in the way the latter is described or frowned upon by most people with a conscience.
I notice you keep trying to somewhat disregard quake as one of the most skilled games around. You are doing it literally every post.

But this is not a forum for that Kind of debates. Let me Just tell you that counterstrike came from quake.. it was a mod ;)

This is irrelevant anyway,. Quake players are not the only ones going back to TNs or 240hz monitors. Even shroud went back to his 240hz lol