Viewsonic XG2431 vs Asus ROG XG249CM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
salkcin

Viewsonic XG2431 vs Asus ROG XG249CM

Post by salkcin » 05 Sep 2022, 12:21

Hi,

I'm looking for some advise on choosing between Viewsonic XG2431 vs Asus ROG XG249CM as I'm in the market for an 23,8" IPS monitor (not a fan of TN panels). I'm also aware of AOC 24G2ZE/24G2ZU.

Previously I have been using CRT (Sony FW900), so it's a bit of a steep learning curve for me to get up to date with VRR, black frame insertion and overdrive technologies used by LCD's and which should preferably be used when, and what the pitfalls are. I'm not even sure which settings are normally used for best-practice configuration on competitive FPS. So what should be prioritized on a monitor aimed at giving the highest competitive edge in FPS gaming - Is motion blur reduction more important than screen tearing fix (VRR) or vice versa.

I tried investigating a bit and Viewsonic XG2431 seems to be highly regarded and especially for motion blur reduction. It comes at the cost of lower max brightness, but that will not be an issue for me (no windows and bright sunlight where it's located). My only concern is that the motion blur reduction does not work with VRR technologies, but not sure if this is really a deal breaker... maybe common practice is to use fixed refresh rates anyway?

Then there is the Asus ROG XG249CM which seems to use the same panel. On paper it looks really good with 270Hz and ELMB-SYNC that allows motion blur reduction simultaniously with VRR tech enabled. One would think that a Asus ROG premium monitor would rival the Viewsonics PureXP+Overdrive implementation that gets so much praise, but Asus overdrive/ELMB/ELMB-SYNC gets very mixed comments. Since there is no reviews of it (except for 3-4 I can find in foreign languages that doesn't really go in-depth), it's really a leap of faith purchasing it.
Sometimes Asus overdrive is mentioned not to be granular enough either giving to much ghosting or to much overshoot, lacking that middle setting. ELMB-SYNC is mentioned some places to create more artifcats with it enabled than disabled, and other places to be the most amazing thing that happened to gaming monitors (blur reduction+VRR). It really seems case-by-case how well Asus implemented these things for a particular monitor, which makes it even more annoying there is no detailed reviews of the XG249CM.

I'm sitting here with a feeling that the XG249CM is a upgraded version of the Viewsonic XG2431, that can do it all, but I have doubts thats the reality of it. I think it comes down to if ELMB-SYNC is really worth it or not?

Any inputs or comments are welcome, and certainly experience with the XG249CM on how well it performs and any experience with ELMB-SYNC. Is it a gimmick or the real deal on this particular monitor.

Pricing does not really matter for me, and is not considered when choosing between AOC/Asus/Viewsonic. Just interested in getting the right monitor.

Xeo

Re: Viewsonic XG2431 vs Asus ROG XG249CM

Post by Xeo » 11 Sep 2022, 09:35

Hello,

Like you, I'm looking for a good esport gaming monitor and my research led me to come across the references you cite, like you, without knowing which were the most interesting.

Unfortunately for me, the Viewsonic is not available in my country.

I have the impression that even if several brands use the same panel, the processing done by each of the brands is very important.
I am therefore interested like you that people can enlighten us. Knowing that we focus our research on IPS panels.

Also, I couldn't find any differences between the Asus ROG Strix XG259CM and XG249CM.

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 12 Sep 2022, 22:37

WAIT, WHAT?! XG249CM+XG259CM allow VRR AND ELMB simultaneously?

I felt discouraged to upgrade my monitor (still rocking XL2420Z from 2014, have been planning to upgrade/add another monitor for the past couple of years), and found myself waiting for new models, probably for that very same reason...

Dude this is a game changer... How come nobody's discussing it here? I just searched both of these models and I haven't seen a single thread about them on Blurbusters. How is that even possible? what am I missing?
Xeo wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 09:35
Also, I couldn't find any differences between the Asus ROG Strix XG259CM and XG249CM.
Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, because as I just mentioned, I only now found out about these monitors because of this post, but from a very quick search on Amazon, it seems like the 249 model has Free-sync, while the 259 is GSync compatible (besides the bigger screen size, which I'm assuming you're already aware of).

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 13 Sep 2022, 01:19

TwentyFoe wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 22:37
Dude this is a game changer... How come nobody's discussing it here? I just searched both of these models and I haven't seen a single thread about them on Blurbusters. How is that even possible? what am I missing?
There are more:
viewtopic.php?t=8832

I'm sad to bring u the news but none of today's implementations of vrr + strobing are good. Ever since VG27AQ came out in 2019 as first ELMB-SYNC monitor all manufacturers have been copying the same thing despite many complaining about it. They use pwm fill to compensate for brightness as framerate changes which looks similar to double strobe. Some of the implementations are usable within very narrow vrr range closer to max refresh (lower the refresh, wider the pwm fill). Just enough to exclude vsync for strobing.

Currently we are still waiting for first single strobe vrr.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 13 Sep 2022, 18:32

Ah... Knew it sounded too good to be true 😔
Discorz wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 01:19
Are we going to get one anytime soon? Any news on the horizon? 😩
Last edited by TwentyFoe on 13 Sep 2022, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 14 Sep 2022, 01:32

TwentyFoe wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 18:32
Are we going to get one anytime soon? Any news on the horizon? 😩
I think EVE's spectrum series are still on hold with new update for single first single strobe vrr support. Apparently it will be very nice, adjustable and flexible. It's tuned by Blur Busters.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Xeo

Post by Xeo » 14 Sep 2022, 09:19

TwentyFoe wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 22:37
Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, because as I just mentioned, I only now found out about these monitors because of this post, but from a very quick search on Amazon, it seems like the 249 model has Free-sync, while the 259 is GSync compatible (besides the bigger screen size, which I'm assuming you're already aware of).
Indeed, it seems that you are right.

Also the XG249CM would a priori have a higher refresh rate via OC of 270Hz.
Discorz wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 01:19
I'm sad to bring u the news but none of today's implementations of vrr + strobing are good. Ever since VG27AQ came out in 2019 as first ELMB-SYNC monitor all manufacturers have been copying the same thing despite many complaining about it. They use pwm fill to compensate for brightness as framerate changes which looks similar to double strobe. Some of the implementations are usable within very narrow vrr range closer to max refresh (lower the refresh, wider the pwm fill). Just enough to exclude vsync for strobing.

Hmm interesting, thanks for your clarification.

So that means that all these screens are bad in terms of responsiveness because of this ? Can we deactivate this option without degrading the feeling compared to these screens ?

Excuse me, I am very far from mastering all these subjects.
Perhaps also there are already more specific topics in relation to our research?

Personally, I bounced on the first post of this topic because it seemed to me related to my research.
I would simply like to know if there is a 240Hz 1080p IPS monitor that comes close in terms of fluidity and responsiveness to the TN panel reference, namely the ZOWIE XL2546K if I'm not talking nonsense ?

The ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM seems like a very good alternative?
The Optix MAG251RX isn't bad either?

The Viewsonic XG2431 is apparently the best according to the tests I have seen but is unfortunately not available in my country :(

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 14 Sep 2022, 21:06

Xeo wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 09:19

The Viewsonic XG2431 is apparently the best according to the tests I have seen but is unfortunately not available in my country :(
Not sure about alternatives, so I won't address that, but as far as XG2431 goes -- are you sure you aren't able to get it on Amazon.com? Many people are quick to assume that they can't (seeing how it's technically Amazon US), while in reality they can.

Xeo

Post by Xeo » 15 Sep 2022, 00:48

Yes, indeed but it is only in import.
That's a lot of risk for the buyer to take on top of huge shipping costs and currency exchange fees.
And what about after-sales service? I don't think you should count on it.