Confused about the AW2521HF response time settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
gameinn

Confused about the AW2521HF response time settings

Post by gameinn » 11 Nov 2022, 11:59

At rtings: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... e-aw2521hf

More specifically the Response Time @ Max Refresh Rate section.

Don't get me wrong I don't really understand how to read the response time tables but freesync on extreme just seems to always beat freesync off at every response setting. Is there a reason not to use it?

However, am I right in saying this means I can't have g-sync right if freesync is enabled? If I still want tear free gaming will the general rule of a 230 fps cap for 240hz apply for freesync?

Inco^

Re: Confused about the AW2521HF response time settings

Post by Inco^ » 11 Nov 2022, 12:31

The 3 tables shown under [Response Time @ Max Refresh Rate] correspond to [rise/fall], [total response], and [overshoot]. The first two are expressed in ms and the last one in %.
It is not Freesync, but Overdrive, that has the [Fast], [SuperFast] and [Extreme] options. The Overdrive settings allows faster pixel transitions at the expense of overshoot.
Freesync is either ON or OFF.
Quote: "The AW2521HF has native FreeSync support and is certified as G-SYNC compatible. FreeSync works over DisplayPort or HDMI, but G-SYNC only works through a DisplayPort connection." This means that if you have an NVIDIA card you can enable G-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel if FreeSync is set to ON in the OSD (I suppose).

Regarding the [Response Time @ Max Refresh Rate] section, the tables shown are those with Overdrive = [Extreme]. You can click the links to check the tables with the two other Overdrive settings (you can also look at the charts and photos).

Capping to 237 FPS makes sure G-Sync (or Freesync) is always enabled and does not turn off (it turns off if FPS > Hz). Capping to 230 FPS is more conservative. I've noticed that with the new NVIDIA drivers I've been using, the NVIDIA FPS is more accurate and that might mean 230 FPS is too conservative of a cap. But you can try and see how it fluctuates.
PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV

gameinn

Post by gameinn » 11 Nov 2022, 12:53

Inco^ wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 12:31
This means that if you have an NVIDIA card you can enable G-Sync in Nvidia Control Panel if FreeSync is set to ON in the OSD
For some reason I thought you could not have freesync and g-sync on at the same time but after some light reading it appears that freesync basically will be g-sync if I enable the option for it on the monitor then go to set up g-sync in the nvidia control panel. That is really confusing.

Also now I think about it. Another scenario. Say I just want to pump as much frames as my PC can handle in a game (say 400 fps). Will freesync on overdrive extreme still have the same graph numbers even if it's not inside the vrr range anymore?

Thank you

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 11 Nov 2022, 12:59

At 240 fps no reason not to use it. Only at lower frame rates (e.g. 48-165 fps) is where overshoot kicks in then you might want to switch to less aggressive overdrive. Notice the overshoot with VRR ON @max vs 120 vs 60. But If u don't find overshoot distracting than no need to manually change it.

Yes for VRR always cap your frame rate to stay inside VRR range. Leaving vrr range means freesync is doing nothing.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup