Acer Nitro XF252Q - Im so impressed with motion blur clarity.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
forii

Acer Nitro XF252Q - Im so impressed with motion blur clarity.

Post by forii » 25 Apr 2020, 18:51

Hello again,

Forgive me in advance for the spam, because I know that I have spoken about different monitors more than once.I compared like 4x monitors in this weeks. And this one is the best if it comes to the motion clarity. Fix me if not.

First, I'll write my story shortly.
I play Cod MW Multiplayer, i want to be the best and I even train my aim in special app (kovaks aim trainer). I love dynamic games and pure clarity of opponents and smooth movement of them. I am always top1 in the server with the kills.
I have always had a 144hz TN monitor and I was used (addicted) to clear motion blur.

2 weeks ago I bought the Asus VG259QM and I was amazed of the colors of the IPS panel and the speed of it.
However, motion blur was not as good at 240hz compared to 144hz TN. Although the Asus was faster in response time and input lag than my old 144hz TN, but I saw the difference on my eyes on ufo's test.

I liked the ELMB on Asus, although there was visible crosstalk (the image wasn't so clear, the ufo's were like multiplier), also Overdrive on VG259QM set to 80 was very visible, white halos around.

I ordered VG279QM a week ago to check how 27 inches works to me and compare the overdrive. Here it turns out that overdrive 80 is almost invisible compared to VG259QM - no white halos on the ufo's test. But... ELMB on 27 inches version (I've already written about it in other post) is much more broken, crosstalk is terrible, ufo's are much multiplier than on VG259QM.

So here I have a dilemma, because in theory I could stay on the VG279QM, because I like 27 inches and it's nice that I found a perfect overdrive, less visible than on 25 inches. - Maybe its unique piece.

However, it didn't give me any peace of mind and 3 days ago I ordered another monitor and it fell on : Acer Nitro XF252Q.

Here are the impressions of it compared to previous monitors:
-colors obviously worse to IPS, but I had it next to Asus and calibrated Acer to be as close to Asus as possible. After all, it's not so bad, I would rate the color quality at 8/10 (when asus 10/10), I don't mind ut, because at the end of 4 years I sat on 144hz TN and watched movies and didn't care about worse quality.
-The second thing I checked was motion blur vs. motion blur on Asus.
The difference is very visible (I'll attach the videos later). I was amazed but motion blut, and said to myself - this is what I was looking for!
-I also knew that Acer has something like VBR, when I turned it on (Normal Mode) I was so IMPRESSED how clear/sharp the picture is, only trade off is a bit of ghosting but who cares!
-What's interesting is that putting the VBR mode on Extreme gives literally NOTHING compare to NORMAL mode. Its only less brightness. Which is much worse. I dont get how is that possible, but ok. Maybe again I found unique piece of panel.

-And NEXT, the most important - something that is the reason why I am writing about this monitor, because I discovered it just now, it turns out that this VBR is Black Frame Insertion.
"The Acer XF252Q has a completely flicker-free backlight, which is great. There is an optional black frame insertion (BFI) feature, which can help to improve the appearance of motion.
If I understand this correctly, it means that I can play with ULMB on Normal (very good brightness!) and it doesn't attack my eyes like an ELMB on an ace. (!!) thats insane.
- If it comes to OSD, it is a bit poor and it looks like that. But it's good that you can control the settings via Acer Display Widget (on your desktop).
- The monitor itself doesn't seem to be mega rich, it looks average but the response time is on 2.6ms and the input lag is on 3.0ms. So very good results. ANd damn, this VBR!

And now I have a dilemma, because I know that if I want to go from 144hz TN to 240Hz TN I should choose a better monitor, I know that HP OMEN X 25f is similar and much better looking but as I read, there is no VBR / Black Frame Insertion, which misses the target. Or does it? :?:

I fell in love with the perfect pure motion blur, that I even made a video to show it to you, it's a lot better than on an asus, that I forgot I want any 240Hz IPS, no matter if it's an asus or even MSI MAg I wanted to buy for comparison.

Understand me correctly, I don't wanna say that asus or msi isnt worth the price, is it, due to speed and low input lag, but I always was fan of the clean motion blur and i realised im just a gamer, not a random guy, because I see in my life a lot of enemies falling behind the wall, and im used to see them clearly, not blurred. That helps me with aiming at them.

And now, what do you think about this monitor? ;)
I saw that someone was not happy with the VBR function (viewtopic.php?t=5973).
but I don't know why they're so negative on this test.

Look at my videos how clean is it (compare to ASus, or my previous 144hz TN its so visible)

Acer Nitro XF252Q - Motion Blur Ghosting Test (VBR turned at NORMAL) 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeamB9O ... e=youtu.be

Acer Nitro XF252Q - Motion Blur Ghosting Test (VBR turned OFF) :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaLiVhG ... e=youtu.be

And now questions to you,

How else can I check this monitor compare to asus which is behind me and waiting for my decide (to keep or refund back)?
Does HP Omen X 25f have any function with motion blur? I've seen on rtings that motion blur on the OMEN without VBR is at the highest level of 10/10 so maybe I could play without it although the VBR set to Normal on Acer is amazing to me, so clear, almost no blur, and brightness is amazing. With ergonomics and the look of it - I like more HP Owen X 25f, however as a gamer I would like to have the best VBR, and if this acer has it flicker free, damn, I want to use it all time :D

And of course the question of perfectionist - What 240hz Tn monitor would be better than this Acer with the same VBR - flicker free? I know it's cheap, which tells me it's not worth the price, but when it comes to the stand, I like it very much compared to Dell Alienwar, which I also considered, but due to that I didn't want it. I also wanted to get Viewsonic XG270 but its not avaiable anymore, esspecialy in my country.

I love this asus if it comes to the motion blur only, I might keep it of course for gaming, because I paid for it only 309$. Its quite cheap, almost cheapest compare to The Benq Zowie XL2746S, which is 692 USD, i think i don't want to pay that much for 240hz Tn, unless it would be 2x better than this acer
If I keep the acer I would try to sell it in future, and buy better one, probably 360Hz TN.

RLCSContender*

Re: Acer Nitro XF252Q - Im so impressed with motion blur clarity.

Post by RLCSContender* » 25 Apr 2020, 23:31

Your TN is not even faster than my gatekeeper viewsonic elite xg270qg. What makes you think it's faster than the fastest IPS monitor right now? the MSI mag251rx? Even then, the advantages of TN and its only purpose"speed" is negligible to the point where there really is zero purpose to buy TN when there are IPS monitors just as fast that exist.

For the 1440p 27" gamers, i will represent you guys. The fastest 1440p IPS monitor vs this dude's Acer Nitro XF252Q(TN)

This time is different. I enable variable overdrive (unlike last time) since it has a built in G-sync chip that will automatically select the fastest overdrive within that refresh rate with minimal ghosting/tearing/etc. Keep in mind, my input lag is non-existent since the g sync chip is directly communicating with my GPU.

here's a pursuit camera picture of the video I posted. In pursuit videos, people can just cherry pick the worst part. But my pursuit camera is the most accurate since i got it DIRECTLY straight from the monitor myself.

This variable overdrive enabled(the g-sync chip will automatically choose the fastest overdrive with the least ghosting)

phpBB [video]

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 25 Apr 2020, 23:39

for a point of reference 240hz 60 overdrive (possibly faulty Asus vg259qm) and 240hz Acer predator XB253q gx

viewsonic elite xg270qg 165hz with variable overdrive

OUCH

If your TN cannot beat my viewsonic in the UFO test, it will NOT beat the fastest 240hz IPS panel in the world right now, the MSI MAG251rx.

b3ka

Post by b3ka » 26 Apr 2020, 01:19

I'm impressed with Acer Nitro XF252Q,
not so much with the IPS representation of RLCScontender as it shows usual UFO blur.

You just confirmed my thoughts about this whole TN vs IPS battle.

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 26 Apr 2020, 01:33

Thanks for review forii.

I had XF252QX in August 2019 and was impressed by motion clarity also. Now I have VG279QM more than month.

I don't know why, possible because of lower input lag, but I can play in CS GO with VG279QM better and this was main thing why I stick to VG279QM, but I admit that motion clarity is not so good as with XF252QX (OD 80 very close to XF252QX, but I use 60). I don't know how it for in COD MW, but for me main is game results. My dream now monitor with input lag of VG279QM and motion clarity of XF252QX )) , probably XL2546S would be it, but as I know XL2546S has the same panel as XF252QX so input lag in theory should be similar, but may be Benq improved something ..

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 26 Apr 2020, 02:31

b3ka wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 01:19
not so much with the IPS representation of RLCScontender as it shows usual UFO blur.

Arent you the guy who purchased the acer predator xb253q and i proved that u got scammed by their 0.5ms or 1 ms claims by showing that my 4ms viewsonic nano was sharper than your 0.5ms and 1 ms 240hz acer?

Yup, that was you.

A sucker is born every day. Thanks to this website, im able to show everyone the truth. Whether they like it or not, doesnt change the truth

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 26 Apr 2020, 02:39

sk1p wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 01:33
Thanks for review forii.

I had XF252QX in August 2019 and was impressed by motion clarity also. Now I have VG279QM more than month.

I don't know why, possible because of lower input lag, but I can play in CS GO with VG279QM better and this was main thing why I stick to VG279QM, but I admit that motion clarity is not so good as with XF252QX (OD 80 very close to XF252QX, but I use 60). I don't know how it for in COD MW, but for me main is game results. My dream now monitor with input lag of VG279QM and motion clarity of XF252QX )) , probably XL2546S would be it, but as I know XL2546S has the same panel as XF252QX so input lag in theory should be similar, but may be Benq improved something ..
The vg279qm's elmb is locked at 80 overdrive also. Which is a perfect synchronization at higher framerates. U cant make claims on which is "clearer" if u arent using the optimal settings of the monit
Hundreds of ppl visit this site for information. Im not a big fan of ppl spreading.misinformation.

b3ka

Post by b3ka » 26 Apr 2020, 03:12

RLCScontender wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 02:31
Arent you the guy who purchased the acer predator xb253q and i proved that u got scammed by their 0.5ms or 1 ms claims by showing that my 4ms viewsonic nano was sharper than your 0.5ms and 1 ms 240hz acer?

Yup, that was you.

A sucker is born every day. Thanks to this website, im able to show everyone the truth. Whether they like it or not, doesnt change the truth
Are you always this fast to make assumptions that end up being totally false? :)
I have no idea about any Acer Predators dude, I had Zowie XL2746s but returned it due to dead pixel.

Anyway back to the topic, I agree with OP about TNs having better clarity than IPS, that's all.
I fell in love with the perfect pure motion blur, that I even made a video to show it to you, it's a lot better than on an asus, that I forgot I want any 240Hz IPS, no matter if it's an asus or even MSI MAg I wanted to buy for comparison.
This is exactly my thoughts and it looks like the newest IPS panels still can't compete in that field with TNs.

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 26 Apr 2020, 04:26

RLCScontender wrote:
25 Apr 2020, 23:31
Your TN is not even faster than my gatekeeper viewsonic elite xg270qg.
here's a pursuit camera picture of the video I posted. In pursuit videos, people can just cherry pick the worst part. But my pursuit camera is the most accurate since i got it DIRECTLY straight from the monitor myself.

This variable overdrive enabled(the g-sync chip will automatically choose the fastest overdrive with the least ghosting)

phpBB [video]
Hate to break it to you but yours looks far worse than his TN panel. Also you guys need to stop doing the silly 3 strip UFO test and start doing the fullscreen crosstalk one. Also you should tone down that attitude of yours, I'm pretty sure the site's founder/admin already warned you about that.

forii

Post by forii » 26 Apr 2020, 05:51

b3ka wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 01:19

@b3ka Thank you mate. I thought I was the only one who thought so. Thanks for this reply, maybe I didn't see something, but obv I got the eyes and I can see difference clearly and even other people like you

@RLCScontender
I don't really understand you again.
Maybe you're paying attention to something else than me, during the motion blur test.
No doubt my TN is doing better and ufo's sharpness is better (more sharp, less blurry) on acer. Just look on the envelope (areola) of the ufo.
Man I bought even 2x Asus, 25 inch and 27 inch, no way there is something wrong with them (what you almost forced me to believe) because I put it next to the acer and my eyes told me - PICK ACER, its so clear.
After I even saw your videos its still worse vs acer

I even lowered my Nvidia panel to 162Hz and turned the blur test, clarity still better than your VIewsonic, I don't know why you want me to play a game with you again.
Obv I will not play CoD with 162Hz, but with 240Hz its much better.
Dirty Scrubz wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 04:26

Hate to break it to you but yours looks far worse than his TN panel. Also you guys need to stop doing the silly 3 strip UFO test and start doing the fullscreen crosstalk one. Also you should tone down that attitude of yours, I'm pretty sure the site's founder/admin already warned you about that.
I definitely agree. I think this guy is paid for IPS advertising, that how it looks lol.
The only advantage of IPS vs TN is better colors, but you can calibrate TN to make it look better.
And again, im not saying that avarage person who never had TN (!) will not fall in love in the latest 240Hz IPS, which are insane fast (still not 3,1ms(mag) vs 2,6ms (acer) with insane lower input lag. But remember that there are a lot of gamers who used TN panel before, and its hard, really hard to deal with more blurry things. And this is me. I already made the post that i can't get used to 240Hz IPS due to blurry ufo's/enemy. (not so visible) - and I liked them more on my 144hz. Yes the asus 280Hz actually was very similar to my 144hz, but 280hz is not playable for competive gamer. After I bought now this acer, I was in shock, damn, 240hz TN looks incredible sharp and clear while moving. This is what I want.
And I didn't make this post as a advertsing, I just want to make sure this Acer is worth this price.
I know it doesnt have the lowest input lag lag like VG279QM, because Acer has signal processing lag on his screen at 2.0ms and the asus at 0,3ms, but as a person who likes clean and sharp enemy while moving with turned at normal mode the VBR it's smokes easy the asus or any ips actually, because there are ips, not TN.
I also played on my previous 144hz Tn with input lag at 8,3 (really.. i didnt even know about this, and didnt care) and was stomping all on servers