XL2411Z alternative with DP?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Zeper

XL2411Z alternative with DP?

Post by Zeper » 16 Oct 2020, 17:41

Hello :)

Back in 2016 I bought my first 144hz monitor the benq XL2411Z and everything was almost perfect.
The screen was perfect for my needs but since the only way of getting 144hz out of it is with DVI, I will not be able to connect it to my next graphic card...

So I'm looking for a newer one with at least the same specs or better.

The first thing I did was buying a XL2411P, thinking that it will be my XL2411Z but with DP...
Yea well that as this moment that I discover inversion artifacts and I hate it.
(I can't understand how a new revision to a product can be this bad compared to the original)

so now I'm sending back my XL2411P and searching for a new one, can you guys help me with that ?
to summaries, I'm looking for :

Code: Select all

Price: ~200€
Hz: at least 144hz 
Size: 24"
Panel type: TN
Resolution: At least 1920x1080
Response Time: at least 1ms GtG capable
inversion artifacts: NONE
Flicker free: Yes
Color/contrast: at least same or close to an XL2411Z
for what I have search the ASUS VG248QG seems to be a nice one.
I can't see any topic speaking of inversion artifacts on that particular model and maybe if there is a little amount of inversion artifacts I could remove it by "underclock" it at 144hz i don't know if that the right word pls don't hurt me

If anyone has one it would be nice to let me know if it is the case.

Thanks you for reading me.
Last edited by Zeper on 17 Oct 2020, 23:35, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for my english, It's not my native language.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2411Z alternative with DP?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2020, 22:02

Zeper wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 17:41
The first thing I did was buying a XL2411P, thinking that it will be my XL2411Z but with DP...
Yea well that as this moment that I discover interlace pattern artifacts and I hate it.
(I can't understand how a new revision to a product can be this bad compared to the original)
It's not interlacing. It's called called inversion artifacts, from the LCD's normal inversion logic that protects against static electricity buildup. See this forum thread. Another more technical explanation can be found at Why Image Retention / Burn-In Sometimes Occur On LCDs.

The inversion patterns can be found at www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php and can somewhat look like interlacing, but it's not interlacing -- it's simply a supposedly-invisible LCD protective algorithm becoming visible.

Some monitors have this, and others do not. If you really hate inversion artifacts, I highly recommend a 240 Hz IPS monitor which are much more inversion artifact proof. 2020-era IPS panels have 1/3rd the ghosting of 2019-and-prior IPS panels, and are now competitive with TN panels (and 240Hz IPS is clearer than 144Hz TN).

Also, remember there are two different pixel response benchmarks, Pixel Response FAQ: GtG Versus MPRT. A 2ms MPRT panel has less motion blur than a 1ms GtG monitor panel, for example. Also, the 1ms speed doesn't account for the curve shape which means the panel may look good at normal overdrive setting (3ms GtG) but have a glowing trail at extreme overdrive setting (1ms GtG). So be very careful about specifying "1ms response", number-wise and response-standard-wise.

Consider 240Hz instead of 144Hz, too. 240Hz has one-quarter the browser scrolling motion blur of 60Hz, since motion blur halves every time you double refresh rate (and frame rate).

Depending on your visual needs; you may want to also get a variable refresh rate monitor such as G-SYNC or FreeSync. Since VRR is an excellent eraser of single-framedrop stutter, as the monitor syncs to the game instead of game syncing to the monitor. Gradual framerate changes in games become seamless like at www.testufo.com/vrr since there's no refreshrate-roundoff stutter. The monitor refreshes immediately when the game presents the frame, so there's no such thing as a missed refresh cycle.

Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Oct 2020, 22:09

Inversion artifacts may be able to be reduced or improved by changing the "sharpness" setting in the monitor. This may not be to everyone's liking and I do not know if that helps on the 24" panels. It does on the XL2720Z.

I have no idea if the true 8 bit (not 6 bit + FRC) Benq monitors are affected by this.

BTW you said you didn't have them on DVI on the XL2411Z, but you did on the XL2411P with displayport? When I switched from DVI to DP on the XL2720Z, I saw no difference in inversion...it was the same as before.

Zeper

Post by Zeper » 17 Oct 2020, 04:46

@Chief Blur Buster thank you for your reply :
It's called called inversion artifacts
Thank you for the correction and links.
I understand them a little better now (still hate them tho)
I highly recommend a 240 Hz IPS monitor which are much more inversion artifact proof.
Yea I can imagine but those are realy out of my price range (2x the price of a 144hz)
the panel may look good at normal overdrive setting (3ms GtG) but have a glowing trail at extreme overdrive setting (1ms GtG). So be very careful about specifying "1ms response"
Yea I'm aware of this, that is the actual only flaw to my XL2411Z.
At 1ms GtG it has some extreme overdrive but since I deal with it since 4 years It don't bother me as much as inversion artifacts.
I should precise "at least 1ms GtG capable" on my OP.

@Falkentyne
I've try everything to fix it but no matter what I've try, if it's more than 100Hz there is inversion artifact.

xdomegalul

Post by xdomegalul » 21 Oct 2020, 08:21

I’m in the same position and was wondering if 240hz ips would be at least on par with the old xl2411z in terms of motion clarity and response times ? It’s hard to find comparisons between these two. I know that 240hz tn or 360hz ips would be the best but ye

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Oct 2020, 15:16

xdomegalul wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 08:21
I’m in the same position and was wondering if 240hz ips would be at least on par with the old xl2411z in terms of motion clarity and response times ? It’s hard to find comparisons between these two. I know that 240hz tn or 360hz ips would be the best but ye
Oh, definitely. I have an XL2411Z (good classic 144Hz TN) and a ViewSonic XG270 here (240Hz "1ms" IPS)

Many models of 240Hz IPS (2020-or-newer panels) have less motion blur than 144Hz TN panels, thanks to the sheer extra refresh rate and the improved 2020-era IPS pixel response.

If you want low motion blur, good low-crosstalk strobing with 240Hz IPS, use the 120Hz refresh rate with ViewSonic XG270, perhaps the undocumented Quick Frame Transport 120Hz resolution mode that is supported (120Hz delivered in 1/240sec to reduce PureXP+ latency).

There's quite a few easter eggs hiding in an XG270 that users have discovered (e.g. the 224Hz improved-overdrive mode).

Be noted, equal framerate MIGHT be a slight disadvantage by a very faint smidge according to some users. 144fps vs 144fps nonstrobed, the XL2411Z might still have a slight edge. But 240fps vs 240fps, the XG270 is clearly superior (lower lag + less blur). And 120fps strobed + Quick Frame Transport mode, the XG270 is more pleasing to the eyes (better colors strobed).

Be noted your XL2411Z is overclockable to approximately 200-250Hz, you'll probably want to use one of the Out-of-Range busting utilities, combined with the 1920x1079 trick, to make it more user friendly. While the picture quality is more degraded versus 144Hz, it can help you test-drive the benefits of a 240Hz monitor before purchasing a better 240Hz monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Zeper

Post by Zeper » 24 Oct 2020, 06:28

so I did get an ASUS VG248QG and it as inversion artifacts at 144hz and higher but it doesn't at 120hz.
when over 120Hz you can try tweaking setting to mitigate it but it will still be there.

And damn I miss black eQualizer.

Panda

Post by Panda » 29 Mar 2021, 14:41

Zeper wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 06:28
so I did get an ASUS VG248QG and it as inversion artifacts at 144hz and higher but it doesn't at 120hz.
when over 120Hz you can try tweaking setting to mitigate it but it will still be there.

And damn I miss black eQualizer.
Hello i was wondering if you tried this monitor with g sync on? does it provides 165hz with g sync? how does the input lag feels while using it? and is the overdrive well tuned? sorry for asking this many questions but i can't find any accurate reviews of this monitor...